Who Are Your Favorite Blenders/Tobacconists?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
While I love adding to my little metal fortress that I am building out of tins of tobacco I am hoarding, I find myself reaching for my bags and jars more frequently.
I know some of the larger well known companies we discuss have some excellent blenders. I am thinking more about small outfits that sell tobacco in ziplock baggies and paint cans.
I have been really into some blends by Watch City Cigar, Peretti's, Uhle's, Boswell's and Just for Him over the past few years. I am not sure who is doing the blends at Just for Him, but they are still good. I won't hesitate to mention that I like Russ O's stuff a lot, though I do tend to put him in a different category since he is at P&C. I tend to have his blends in my metal tin fortress.
Does anyone have any favorite tobacconist/blenders that they want to share? I am sure we even have some talented blenders on this site.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I, too, like Russ. I also like Pease. My favorite blends, however, are all from Fribourg & Treyer, Reiner, and Dunhill.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
In terms of "small outfits", Glynn Quelch of "GQ Tobaccos" was one of the outstanding young blenders on this side of the Pond. Sadly, he has been sucked into the regulatory maelstrom. Anyone who managed to stash some of his blends before the 'original' GQ outfit folded has done well, IMO.
Deep in the cellar I have 500 gms of each of the following:
- Askwith Kake

- Breakfast Blend

- Balkan

- Nottingham Lace - Noir

- Nottingam Lace - Rouge

- Custom Blend #2 (Halfzware)
I am trying to resist unearthing them for a couple more years.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ernie Q. From Watch City Cigar, as you already mentioned;

Bob Runowski, a Burley master who, IIRC, collaborated with Craig Tarler at some point;

John L. Patton; William Serad; and a more recent contributor to my cellar holdings, Rich Gottlieb.

Lately, I've become increasingly impressed by Mark Ryan's creations (D&R). Smoking Rimboché A.P. right now, in fact.

I wish I knew more about the blenders that work for all of the brands. But, I like them all for different things they do. Russ is the best blender for periques. I love everything he has done with perique, and he has worked with Mark Ryan on some really special limited released series that I just think is about the most special things every done with perique.
Of course there are the McClelland Virginias, but... a moment of silence... :(
And, I just love Greg Pease's newest work with Virginia based flakes and pulling unique flavors out of natural tobaccos, like the Virginia Cream. His newest work from these last few years are about my favorites.
I need to study up more on those guys that C&D has blending. It would be interesting to relate the blends to the blenders. They have some burleys that I really like and some other interesting stuff that they've put out recently also, especially those limited releases.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Whoever blends the HU Tobaccos in Germany is a genius. Another vote here for Greg Pease. And the fellow who has put together the Seattle Pipe Club blends is awesome. Haven't had any Watch City or Uhles, need to sample soon.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
That would be Hans Wiedemann; and I couldn't agree more, although HU Tobacco is no longer a small enterprise these days!!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Steven Books was one of the best in America (RIP) and fortunately you can still get his blends as far as I know. Hans of HU is an amazing blender and underrated as far as his scented blends are concerned. I’ll definitely second Glynn Quelch - that dude was born to blend! The Compton blends from Pipes2Smoke are pretty impressive too. Otherwise I mainly stick with the big boys these days; the Gawith House being my all time favorite blending House. I’m rarely impressed with those tobacconists that take other tobaccos and blend them up in house, I’d rather just do that to my own tastes.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
As well as being a great pipe maker, Paul Bonacquisti has made some terrific blends at his shop, Park Lane Tobacco.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
with out a shadow of dought for me Gawith & Hoggarth followed by HU blender Hans Wiedemann

as mentioned Glen Quelch sadly no more was also great

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
LJ Peretti is first in my heart. Tashkent, Royal, Pride of Loch Lomond they are classics.
For the guys who blend and tin, Pease is awesome and so is Russ.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'tango, I'm still enjoying the Peretti's you sent, an aro and a burley. I mention occasionally Nat Sherman, well-known but not a big brand; I like their 536 English with burley. Also the now popular Tabac-Manil Semois, medium or thick cut single leaf Belgium burley variant (not actually a blend, but a specialty leaf), and their Petit Robin, which is a blend. Also worth checking out are the Low Country blends, somewhat eclipsed now that SMC bought Cornell & Diehl; I have two unopened tins I'm looking forward to -- can't recommend 'em until I try 'em. Brebbia made an apple brandy aro that was artfully blended tobacco-forward, but I haven't seen that one in a while.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Steven Books blends? I never could dish out his high prices for 20-40 ? year old tobacco blends. I'm sure he is/was a great guy but I just have a hard time thinking any tobacco over 20 years old still has some punch to it. The entire aging tobacco thing does seem to have some merit but tobacco breaks down and loses it's zest over time, no doubt. I could be wrong though.
John Patton ? The guy smoked nothing but Carter Hall in cobs for 50 years, then he joins a pipe forum and decides to start playing with 4 Noggins mixing blends. The next thing you know some people think he's a master blender of sorts. Huh?
As a few other guys stated, I have a bit more interest in blenders who create tobacco flavors by old traditional methods like stoving, pressing and intricate curing processes (i.e.SG, GH, Germain) And maybe Cosmic, after reading his interesting tobacco growing threads.
OTOH, and a possible exception would be GLP. I'm a big fan of his blends but I'm not sure how much dabbling he does with his tobacco or whether he justs mixes up pre-prepared tobacco from C&D.
Good small-time blenders? Russ O gets my vote, GLP too but I don't think he's really "small time" and I only see his blends getting more and more popular on an international basis.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I always liked the few Steve Books blends I was fortunate enough to try. They were a tad pricey, but worth it imho. I, too thought that tobaccos that old had to be over the hill flavour-wise, but was wrong. I have no idea how Steve stored those ancient leaves, but must have done something right. Irishman's 5 O'clock is my favourite.
Miss Glynn Quelch as well. I feel he would have risen to rock star status given a bit more time. Still have a few of his creations in the cellar.
Now it's JF Germain & Sons, SG, GH&Co.,HU Tobacco, to name a few. I'm glad to see so many great blenders still around. Every time the pipe community loses one, the world is a little darker place.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
To the OP:

My favorite tobacco shop is the local Edward's here in Denver/Englewood. Just a great store store with great people. I've smoked many of the house blends over the years and enjoyed them a great deal, though none are really favorites.
I just love Greg Pease's newest work with Virginia based flakes and pulling unique flavors out of natural tobaccos, like the Virginia Cream. His newest work from these last few years are about my favorites.

Greg is one of my all time favorites. When I became a "serious" pipe smoker (a little tongue in cheek) in the early 2000's his were the blends that really educated me and made me want to explore life beyond stuffing RYO into a pipe. I loved his blends then and have constantly been amazed that he keeps putting out unique blends that really pull me in.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
John Patton ? [...] decides to start playing with 4 Noggins mixing blends. The next thing you know some people think he's a master blender of sorts. Huh?
@kola

As the only poster in this thread who mentioned John Patton, this comment is apparently directed at me. The OP asked, "Does anyone have any favorite tobacconist/blenders that they want to share?" Calling Patton one of my favorites is not elevating him to the status of master blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.