PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Unfortunately or not, the use of marijuana is not reserved to weekend celebrations and freshmen excited by California’s lax drug policy. Its prevalence on our campus can be a surprising facet of life here to those new at Stanford, but that astonishment vanishes once the University’s stance on the drug is examined. Or rather, lack thereof; while Stanford holds official student policies on both tobacco smoke and alcohol consumption (as well as ceding to California state law on these and other controlled substances), it takes no such specific stance for marijuana usage. California has become somewhat infamous for its permissive stance on marijuana production and consumption. Thus, though the drug can no doubt be obtained through illegal means, all that’s really needed is a doctor’s recommendation for a treatable condition.
Interestingly enough, a side-effect has arisen as marijuana becomes more prominent at Stanford. As support for it rises, that for tobacco seems to be waning and a prejudice rapidly forming against it. Recently the Faculty Senate postponed voting on an all-campus smoking ban (tobacco only, recall), that would in essence push all forms of tobacco smoke to the other side of Campus Drive. The only spaces allowed for smoking would be designated outdoor areas and, interestingly enough, faculty/staff residential areas. Slight hypocrisy aside, the ban was designed to be a preventative measure against any sort of respiratory problems resulting from potential second-hand smoke.
http://stanfordreview.org/article/marijuana-at-stanford/

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
All I need is a bunch of stoners looking down their nose at me for putting tobacco in my pipe...
It's different up here in Canada. Tobacco users and weed smokers will be sent to the gallows together :

"Tobacco is a product that does a lot of damage. Marijuana is infinitely worse and it's something that we do not want to encourage," (Prime Minister) Harper said.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pot-marijuana-1.3255727
It's election time, where even less is said than usual, but with more words.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
That's too bad. The negative opinions towards tobacco are largely due to irresponsible big tobacco companies and cigarette abusers. I'm preaching to the choir here, but we all know tobacco can be enjoyed responsibly.
Thumbs up for increased marijuana use though. Like tobacco, it can be enjoyed responsibly. It also has numerous positive attributes as a medicine and current negative attitudes towards it are mostly due to decades of criminalization and misinformation.
Alcohol prohibition didn't work, doesn't work for marijuana and I think most here would agree, would not work for tobacco.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I live an hour south of Stanford. I recently got a job with a company based back east. I passed my piss test and was hired. During the 4 day orientation HR kept revisiting marijuana use as being forbidden but offered an employee smoking area for tobacco products even though California doesn't require it by law. Seems like the company was a bit paranoid of California's lax laws for weed but was quit unconcerned with tobacco use. Both weeds have a stigma but I didn't have to pass a urinalysis for tobacco. If people saw me smoking a joint with my kids at the park I think I would be judged harsher than if I was smoking a cigar or pipe? I think I would be judged for both but less hardly for tobacco?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Tobacco is the evil demon under your bed that is going to eat you, unless mom or big brother can stop it. Weed however is good and will make you happy. And best of all in time when everyone is happy and dependent you will not ever know how,when,why,or where the man behind the curtain has done what he is doing.

theredstrat

Lurker
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
http://www.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm
The chart at the bottom of the article puts common substance addiction into perspective a little...
However, it seems like the real issue is that the growing acceptance of marijuana for recreational use is at odds with the growing condemnation of tobacco for recreational use. In my opinion, the new open-mindedness for pot could be a common ground with advocates for responsible recreational use of tobacco such as is common among pipe and cigar smokers. I feel a better conversation would revolve around educating the public on how pipe and cigar tobaccos are low-risk substances that can be enjoyed responsibly by adults that are of a legal age to make an informed decision on the relative risks. By aligning the discourse that, like marijuana, tobacco that is produced and distributed ethically and legally and consumed legally on an occasional basis is a completely different product than the mass-produced cigarettes that have been marketed and manipulated in a less than ethical manner over the last hundred years.
By illustrating the health and cultural differences between inhaled, mass-produced cigarettes and recreational "hobby" tobacco (pipe & cigar) we have an opportunity to align with the new paradigm shift and showcase how pipe tobacco and cigars support local businesses and encourage a cottage-industry entrepreneurialism that, if shown to the right audience in the right light, would only encourage acceptance of our hobby as a whole and help preserve the tradition and stimulate growth in the industry.
Something about rising tides comes to mind...
edit: sorry for the run-on sentences. It's late. :)

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
We actually vote on Marijuanna legalization Novembor 3rd. Issue 3. Funny thing is it's set up like a monopoly and about a dozen businessman will control it. This makes me wonder if people are dumb enough to pass it so they can be enabled to use, just not get what was promised. I'm voting yes on it. I want the dumb twits to have no control.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I guess if it passes, then that means most people want to see marijuana decriminalized? I see your point about who will enjoy profitability.

Without a profit angle, this is a moot issue. There are a lot of us dumb twits.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So you don't want a business man to have control of pot, but you don't mind buying different blends of pipe tobacco or cigars from business men. Yet it's business men that give you all variety and have to take the hit for you against an out of control government. Hmmm government controlled marijuana would go to pot. Plus the idea that you are scared of a monopoly, when the Government is the monopoly that tobacco users are running from. The government monopoly squandered jobs for Americans when they began to vilify tobacco and allowed your fellow man to put a scarlet letter on your breast. I agree, you should be able to grow pot in your garden, but You know the taxes that the government wants to rake from you is the ultimate goal.

Mar 1, 2014
All I need is a bunch of stoners looking down their nose at me for putting tobacco in my pipe...
It's different up here in Canada. Tobacco users and weed smokers will be sent to the gallows together :
"Tobacco is a product that does a lot of damage. Marijuana is infinitely worse and it's something that we do not want to encourage," (Prime Minister) Harper said.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pot-marijuana-1.3255727
It's election time, where even less is said than usual, but with more words.
Harper is the first real conservative Prime Minister since Joe Clark. Comparing him with university faculty is like comparing dogs and cats.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Only reason alcohol was legalized was for tax revenue.
Yep ... helped pull us out of the Depression. Too many people were dying from the poisonous concoctions being served in the speakeasy joints as well. The original solution by our esteemed controllers was to add poison to denatured alcohols and when that didn't work ... they added more poison!
Prohibition, of anything, has never been effective.
The more our personal choices are infringed upon, the more creative we become in acquiring what we want.
Heck, even the "Parental Advisory" they felt the need to stick on CD's only boosted sales.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
@frozen, I know what your saying. It's not the best comparison, however Harper condemns pot/ tobacco while citing "selective" research and Stanford seems to welcome pot, and condemn tobacco, without much research either.
I think the thorn in my side is the wholesale condemnation of tobacco. I can surely say that when somebody says tobacco is bad, the image they conjure up is kids smoking cigarrettes or a careless person smoking on a crowded train platform or something, not the concientious pipe or cigar smoker. All the more reason to fly the flag and let people know we are here. I've seen a few studies on the decreased risks of pipes but you can bet those studies never cross a politicians desk.
Edit @ Cobguy: when I was younger, a parental advisory label may as well said Buy Me!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Of course we could be humane and allow individuals to be responsible for their own actions, instead of using totalitarian poster boards on tobacco products, Which cost the business money. I also understand that without the big cigarette companies, pipe tobacco business's do not have the access to a variety of leaf. This week it's guns though. Next week they'll get back to the villain TOBACCO. Then the idiots will be off to knock Marijauna again in twenty years or more because of the inhalation to receive desired effect. Booga Booga! :rofl:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
However, it seems like the real issue is that the growing acceptance of marijuana for recreational use is at odds with the growing condemnation of tobacco for recreational use.
Exactly. If we're going to approve of weed, it's time to get off the backs of tobacco and alcohol -or- tax weed to hell and regulate the heck out of it like we do with those other substances. Of course, they can't do that with weed; it's already cheaper on the black market and any more regulation would increase that effect, defeating the point of legalizing it which was (presumably) to stop funneling millions into the black market.
Sometimes America reminds me of Russia in 1987 or so. Our black market is now thriving at least as much as theirs was. You can get some amazing stuff out there.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
DeathMetal the black market is the only capitalism left. The Internet was good competition to the black market, but then there was the FCC move that gobbled that up.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I am against legalizing marijuana totally, for a variety of reasons, but primarily that our society doesn't need another drug of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.