PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Working at a pipe shop, as well as being a relatively new pipe smoker; "What pipe should I buy?" is a common question.

Today, I'd like to ask that with a small twist.

Subjectively why should I buy a specific brand/carver of pipe?

Ex1. You need to get a Peterson system, because of the history of the Peterson brand and their patented system.

Ex2. You need to get an E. Andrews because of his amazing work on bamboo, plus Ed is just a great guy!
Fill us in on why the history of a company or why the distinctions on a specific carver; could help sway us to buy a pipe.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Savinelli.
Why ?
Because " You can't go wrong with a Sav "
Plain and simple.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For a starter pipe, pick a cheap one and learn on it.
After that, you decide by what you like to smoke and the ratio between width and height and other factors.
As far as brands go, I'd keep track of pipe lines that are bad and exclude them, then have a list of reputable makers.
It's like rifles. You can enjoy a Ruger or a Winchester, but it depends on need and how well the form factor works with your own form factor.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
You should buy a Missouri Meerschaum Corncob because they are made in America, high quality, inexpensive, smoke well, and have a variety of different shapes to choose from. Perfect starter pipes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The question "What pipe should I buy?" implies it is being asked by a new pipe smoker. I would guide them to a reasonably priced pipe from a well-known manufacturer with a reputation for consistent quality. I would avoid makers with controversy over quality issues swirling about them. In short, a conservative safe-bet reccomendation vis-s-vis price and quality. Steering someone to a highly-priced pipe with quality issues could lose you a customer, and leave them with a negative impression of the whole pipe game. I would also avoid reccomending any pipe with love/hate features like stingers or "systems".

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The question "What pipe should I buy?" implies it is being asked by a new pipe smoker.
Not necessarily. Not everyone is as fanatical as many of us are about knowing the field.

Mar 1, 2014
Buy a Missouri Meerschaum Cob with the standard plastic stem, because Briar with that size of draft doesn't exist for under $300 (not that it's better, just different), and because it cost next to nothing so why not?
Buy a Savinelli 320 or Rossi 8320 because it's the perfect pocketable wide bore pipe for short but flavorful bowls.

I always notice when a gallery, car salesman, or retailer of any sort, looks me over and steers me towards the most expensive thing in the store. It sort of makes me feel good, like they think I could afford this or that. Why not start at the top and work your way down. Much better than starting with a corncob. Suggesting a corncob, to me, seems like you're saying 1) this is all that you look like you could afford, or 2) you probably won't stick with this hobby, so you'd better start with someone cheap as hell.
Don't get me wrong. I like my cobs, but come on. It's a pipe store. They're in the business of selling pipes.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Not necessarily. Not everyone is as fanatical as many of us are about knowing the field.
That's why I'm asking :) - Want to know what drives people to a certain brand/carver besides "it's going to smoke well".

Thanks guys

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Why not start at the top and work your way down. Much better than starting with a corncob. Suggesting a corncob, to me, seems like you're saying 1) this is all that you look like you could afford, or 2) you probably won't stick with this hobby, so you'd better start with someone cheap as hell.
Don't get me wrong. I like my cobs, but come on. It's a pipe store. They're in the business of selling pipe
You make a good point. If I was a pipe store owner I'd probably be willing to eat the cost of a corncob to get a loyal customer. If it was my business, I'd offer them a free corncob; pack it myself; and let them try. If they liked it, we can talk about the different options for briar and meerschaum.
As hobbyist who has no financial stake in what someone buys, I look to protect their wallet first if I can do so without giving them a poor experience. Frankly, I'm letting my own biases show and I know it but I steer clear of many hobbies because the financial barrier to entry is so high. I thoroughly believe MM cobs are great pipes and that anyone who is going to enjoy pipesmoking can get enjoyment out of one. So why not start there if you just want to know if this pipesmoking thing is for you.

At the Nola pipe show, my wife pointed out the way guys would hold a pipe up, without actually putting it in their mouths. She noted that they were looking for "face accessories." It is somewhat important that the pipe go with (or accentuate or compliment) our face. Nothing looks as weird to me more than a great big man with a big head smoking a tiny little pipe, or a small head smoking a monstrous Oompaul or something.
I have more pipe makers on my list that I would avoid than pipemakers that I am looking for in specific. it really has only been in the last few decades that people have paid attention to stemwork or briar quality. Yes, those are important, but an ugly, misfit pipe that smokes great with all the fixin's is not going to get much use from me. It does have to capture my attentions as well as look somewhat good on me.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Shape, feel, fit and finish are my only considerations. Marque means very little. Cost is not in the equation. If it doesn't catch my eye, it'll stay on the rack or in the case.

Sounds like when some of us pick 'other' companions.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
For a starter? A cob without a doubt. Cheap, have some nice shapes (Great Dane Spool I'm looking at you), smoke well and if you don't like it/lose it/it spontaneously bursts into flames, you won't mind TOO much.

Status
Not open for further replies.