PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillespie1

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
One of the best parts of my day is listening to Steven King smoking my pipe and having a glass of Jim Beam. I'm new to the forum and wanted to see how many people also enjoy reading/listening while they smoke
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've been know to read my tractor manual while "relaxing" with my pipe.
In the summertime we like to sit on the deck and listen to a book while I have a pipe.
Number 9 violation!!!!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Smoking and reading go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Although I really only read with a pipe in the warmer weather. When it's colder I'm relegated to the basement and then I'm either throwing some darts or shooting some pool.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
After resisting my Son about Kindle I relented, best thing I ever did, holding Kindle, puffing and swipeing to turn a page, downloading a new book in less than a minute, but old habits die hard, I still miss holding a book. LOL

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Haha, Cajun. I still resist! Since I like to collect books, I just can't do the kindle....my mom even offered to give me hers since she never uses it, but I don't want it. Shopping for books is even more fun for me than shopping for pipes or tobacco.
I am an avid reader, mainly science fiction and books about card games. Yes, I know that's a little strange, but I collect books on card games. Growing up as a kid, we played all day long, and it just takes me back.
So yeah...read constantly when piping...not as much since joining this forum, since I spend way too much time here!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums Dgillespie1!!!
I also enjoy reading will puffing and I most enjoy reading the tomes that actually got me interested in pipe smoking, and those would be The Hobbit, all three LOTR books, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
i usually read when i smoke.. Right now i am reading The Hobbit, for the 3rd time i beleive.. I also read food/cooking, bowhunting, or knife realated magazines..

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Bradley,

My wife gave me her old Kindle when she bought her new one. The feature I like best is that you can adjust the print size to BIG.
There are tons of books that are free (copyrighted before 1929). Just downloaded 3 Sherlock Holmes and an Agatha Christie. Do I still love the feel of a hardcover? Yes, but the Kindle is easier to read while smoking.

dgillespie1

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks yazamitaz I have not read the hobbit yet thats on the list I'm re reading it by SK right now but before I started this I just finished the LOTR trilogy again

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Bradley I'm with you on the kindle. It's an awesome device. I also borrow kindle books from my library all the time via their website. I don't think I've purchased a new book in maybe a year since I started borrowing them.
Also my home library was starting to get over flowing. When we bought our house we had made the formal living room into a library with floor to ceiling built in book shelves that my father in law built on 3 walls and desks on the 4th wall. It's to the point now that we are doubling up books on shelves. Makes it harder to locate books that way. So that's one advantage of the kindle.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I just finished rereading the hobbit and now I'm on to the LOTR's. I read all of those maybe 25 years ago. It's like reading a whole new book as I forgot most of it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
In the middle of 2 books right now. Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet", a Sherlock Holmes book and Lee Child's "Tripwire", a Jack Reacher book.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I do read and puff at the same time. I will occasionally add a drink to that mix. Last weekend I tried to read, smoke, drink and tend a pile of burning brush all at the same time... that's when the wheels fell off. I had to put the book down. :lol:
I've been listening to the Unabridged Lord of the Rings Trilogy audiobook during my commute for the last three weeks. Shaintiques recommended this version to me, and I would highly recommend it. The version I am listening to was recorded in the early 90s and the voice actor is Robert Inglis. It is a wonderful audiobook.
-- Pat

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I am a voracious reader while smoking my pipes. I do listen to music while smoking but not to audio books......too hard to concentrate I suppose. NO Kindle for me, just old fashioned taking up space books (preferably hard bound) in my home library for me. Current read is a Daniel Silva novel and a non fiction book on the Adirondacks.

dgillespie1

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
One of my favorite things in LOTR is how he talked about the Hobbits history with pipes and how they see it as a skill not a habit and also how he talks about the different types of tobacco you can tell he was fond of the pipe

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Does reading online forums count? :lol:
When I smoke I'm usually either poking around online or sometimes in the late evenings I'll tune in to Art Bell's show on XM.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I read voraciously, for the past two years on a Kindle Fire. I was a hard convert to the Kindle and resisted it for a long time. Now, I find it hard to read a paper book. I couldn't find a title I wanted for Kindle, so I got it from my library. I read the first five chapters before locating it on Kindle, the book is going back!
I think you might find it difficutl to locate a pipeman who DOESN'T read and enjoy a pipe.
I drive a lot but I cannot do audio books, something just doesn't click for me. (322,000 miles on my '08 Nissan)

Status
Not open for further replies.