PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
mawnansmiff writes:
I am slowly whittling down my tobacco collection and reckon I will be left with no more than ten blends in all that I will continue to buy.
I am in the same boat. I do not crave variety so much as variation, and there are a few blends that stick out as both excellent and something I enjoy on a regular basis, and as time goes on I am enjoying more of them in rotation. These little squat jars with wide lids hold about an ounce or two, depending on packing and moisture level, of a blend and so I divide favorites into those (if not from a tin, like the delicious Royal Yacht) and can rotate among a couple jars for a week with full satisfaction. Ten blends might be too few, but my guess is that it will be fewer than twenty.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I agree. The lure of exciting new blends is mostly lost on me. I probably have and 30 cellared but the vast majority is 15-20 different blends.
At this point I probably have enough to get me to the end.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
At this point I probably have enough to get me to the end.
Same here, no more than the one to two bowls, and then only 3-4 days a week, a bag of Penzance will last a year.( with some others I throw in occasionally)

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
Interesting. I also use the smaller ball jelly jars. I have 150 plus varieties.then I have a dozen or so quart jars with my favorites. And finally two one gallon clear glass jars: one containing Morley's Best and the other Milan's Christmas Cheer. Beyond that I have an 8 ounce silver plated humidor of the original Blue Boar tobacco and a several odd 8 ounce bags..penzance, Valle crucis, etc. I've given away about 60 samples in the past month. Less seems better.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a fairly narrow, but deeeeep cellar. I know what I like, after hard trial and error (including catastrophic mistakes) my cellar is set until I'm worm food. Unless I die sooner than later.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I keep expanding trying new stuff. Never know when I may find a new favorite. Stockpiling the one's I like.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not a bad approach. It is always good to keep an open mind. I find that what happens is that I try new stuff, appreciate it, and then dig out an old favorite and find myself thinking, "Hmm. This actually is a bit better, so I'll order another pound of this and smoke it compulsively."

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I've been in the whittling down mode also for the past year. I was just updating my online cellar and ended up counting 30 different tobaccos total that I'm down to. Of those, I have 9 opened right now. I can see myself heading towards 12-15 tobaccos total. I'm finally winding down the "must try more mode" and just enjoying what I know I love.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am following the unofficial motto of this forum:
"Like what you smoke, smoke what you like."
In this case, I'm smoking a well-insured warehouse for a friend. Hope they don't notice the accelerants or cigarette fuses. Fingers crossed.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
When I got back into pipe smoking about 3 years ago, I started to buy every tobacco I could. Now I've settled on Carter hall as my go to smoke. I have tins of unopened, and a few bottled I will probably never use.

Oct 7, 2016
Not a bad approach. It is always good to keep an open mind. I find that what happens is that I try new stuff, appreciate it, and then dig out an old favorite and find myself thinking, "Hmm. This actually is a bit better, so I'll order another pound of this and smoke it compulsively."
Pretty much my experience. I am finding that what tastes best to me is pretty much what I liked best when I gave up pipe smoking back in late 2001.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have recently found a genuine appreciation for Latakia, something I never had in 30 years of pipe smoking. Somehow it seems I anticipated this because I have a great deal of Lat blends in my cellar.
I am feeling pretty good.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I enjoy variety a lot. And there are times when I get a hankering for this or that. I am also rather new still and am hedging my bets against a changing palatte as I get older.
I have a ton of different blends. But like Hobie said, a bag will go a long ways when you are not a heavy smoker. I figure I have enough for about 150 years at the rate I smoke. So that should cover myself and my son for our lifetimes when he gets older, I die, and he inherits my stash.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As a new guy and in consideration of the FDA crap, I'm casting my net far and wide.
Many options will still be available after 8/18, but many won't.
If I find at some future date that I've cellared something that I don't enjoy, I'm confident that someone else will enjoy the opportunity to get an aged and no longer available tin of it.
jay-roger.jpg

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I generally rotate between 10 blends but I still like trying new tobacco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.