White/grayish residue inside bowl of “new” pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperoni

Lurker
Aug 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

New user here asking for some veteran advice.
I recently purchased a very nice Pierre Morel billiard from an online tobacconist (European); the pipe wasn’t cheap, and was sold as “new”.
Anyway, upon reception, I noticed that the inside of the bowl was afflicted with a grayish/white residue, which caught me completely by surprise. Whatever it is, it looks pretty disgusting.
s2IpxEW.jpg

Now, the online shop claims that everything is fine, that this isn’t mold, but rather the specific artisanal bowl coating that the carver used… but honestly this sounds a bit like BS to me; for what it’s worth, I’ve never experienced this type of residue with any other coated pipe before, including another Morel purchased directly from the man himself.
In any case, I’d love to hear your thoughts and impressions on the matter. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you gentlemen!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Now, the online shop claims that everything is fine, that this isn’t mold, but rather the specific artisanal bowl coating that the carver used…
My thoughts exactly ... that's they way the inside of a bowl should look after lighting it for the first time. For some reason the ash and coating makes that grayish color. They use this coating sort of like an artificial cake on new pipes, I think you are in good shape.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I think, the only way to certainty is contacting the artist himself. He has a contact form on his website, so I'm sure, he will answer your question...

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It looks like several of my new pipes with bowl coating looked. Perhaps it's yogurt and activated charcoal mix, but whatever it is, it looks different than some, but the same as other coatings.

piperoni

Lurker
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks guys, I appreciate the different opinions.
I should’ve mentioned that the pipe is still supposedly unsmoked, so whatever that is, it’s not ash. It literally arrived looking like this.
The yoghurt/ egg white hypothesis had also crossed my mind (ie perhaps it’s a pipe that sat there unsold for some time.), but living in FL, I’m not sure about having something like this sitting there (it doesn't quite reek just yet, but any day now :D ).
Anyway, it's all strange and new to me. Mike, you said you had had other new pipes arriving looking like this?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Yeah, a Blakemar and a Nording for sure, and I know a couple others, but I can’t remember for sure which manufacturers. I think one of my BriarWorks’ looked like that too.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
It's fine to smoke, just some residue from the binding agent in of the carbon coating. I had several factory pipes with such a white residue (except not to that extent)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sure would ask the same questions, but it sounds like others have seen similar coloration on bowl coatings on new pipes. It does not have a mold or mildew odor. It looks superficial to me, not like part of the dark coating itself. If it is part of the coating process, it should disappear after a bowl or two. With the reassurances on this thread, I think I'd take my chances. However, if you just don't like it, since the pipe is unsmoked, perhaps you could make a deal on a swap or a refund. The swap is more likely. If you really like the pipe otherwise -- if I were you -- I'd smoke it and forget about it..

piperoni

Lurker
Aug 17, 2019
Just a brief update to close the topic:

I did eventually get in touch with P. Morel directly (a very sweet person btw). Long story short, he was happy to assuage my fears and confirm what many of you had suspected: the pipe is indeed perfectly safe to smoke, with the bowl’s appearance simply being a result of the coating used (coating which incidentally is flavorless).

So, all’s well that ends well; I’m keeping this beauty! :puffy:
Thanks again for all your input, gentlemen; much appreciated.

Now … *lights up* …on with the hurricane preparations :D

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Congratulations! Now all you have to do is enjoy... btw I had a new old stock James Upshall that had a less gray but quite similar pre carbonization but mine smoked fine as well

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
piper', I think most pipe people are sensitive to details. It sort of comes with the territory. In this case, the detail was nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy that pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.