PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoy my straight razors, and safety razors. I love shaving with my Dbl Duck, my Dovos, a 200 year old G. Johnson with horn handles, Gillettes, and so on. I have an open combed Mercury 15C that has been my go to for a while, but always regretted not getting a Merkur 11C after it was discontinued. They pop up on eBay from time to time, and the prices for new and used tend to sky rocket, but one popped up last night for under $30. Used, but a white whale is a white whale.
$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Combed safety razors are ment to shave closer. Safety razors are my second love to pipes, I have 8 razors and rotate them. Most picked up in car boot sales (but not all)

I have 4 razors on my shaving rotation at any time.

Closes shave is a futur or my Merkur 37C Slant Bar DE Safety Razor, both give a very close shave.

The futur is adjustable the Merkur is not. Nickname for the Merkur is "The Devils slay" they give one hell of a shave.
Two things I have always wanted to find cheaply is:
1. Gillette fat boy adjustable razor

2. Falcon full twist pipe
We live in hope

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Please explain the attraction to these. I know they are cool and nostalgic; and I want to like them. I remember my granpa's razors and he always had a close shave. I picked up a modern one (cheapo) at Target and was not impressed. Yes, I do realize that the answer to my question is buried in that last sentence, but I really would like to find one that works.
I would also like to find a good beard trimmer....

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
They give incredible shaves with a safety razor blade in it, you don't pay the crazy price of a modern safety razor. Blades are very cheap.

You can't beat them.

They are addictive like collecting pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
They are addictive like collecting pipes.
You got that right!
I really would like to find one that works.
The Merkur 34HD is a great introductory model, can be found for under $30, and a pack of 100 Personna blades sells for under $15.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Rand look at MERKUR Saftey razor, German, you can buy 100 blades for about 10$, I bought my wife the Long Handled Safety Razor to use in her shop at the nurseing home. She shaves a lot of the Old Men's heads, she says that the best Safety razor she's used, for under 50$ you can't go wrong.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I dug mine out - the highly sought out "Van Der Hagen" - to give it another go...

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I started using a DE when I got fed up with paying crazy prices for blades on modern razors. It has saved me quite a bit. It has gone back into an aftershave collection though, and guns, and cameras, and now pipes and tobacco.....

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have two, an oooooold Gillette and a newer model whose name eludes me at the moment. "Safety" razor my ass. If you're not careful, you will, in fact, kill yourself with one of those things.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I have 3 regular shaving razors and two what I call "safety" or straight razors which belonged to my Mother. The prettiest one I have kinda looks like this, but is in storage so I can't check.

il_570xN.742297945_mup1.jpg

The other two I use for shaving belonged to my Father and are Gilette adjustable, I think, one longer and the other shorter handled and look like this.

1969-gillette-super-adjustable-boxed-vintage-safety-shave-razor.jpg

My straight razors are 100% stainless,even the handles, and are from Germany circa 1960's and look similar to this...

il_340x270.1217339634_jtp3.jpg

I love old knives and blades and collect whatever I can in this area, though, my current collection is small.

Great Thread !!

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
My father gave me an old safety razor when I first started shaving. Loved it. Lost it in a move. 20 years later, purchased a Merkur and some blades and will never go back to the "modern" razor.
I'm OK, doc says the bleeding should stop by Thursday!
It DOES take a little getting used to, especially in the sensitive areas. Direct pressure!!!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
You really need to pay attention to the shave angle I think - something you forget about with the new pivot head cartridge razors. I think I should invest in better blades as well.
Hint: a little bit of solid deodorant will stop the bleeding and sooth the area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A safety razor was what I took in the Navy with me, thinking I might or might not have a place to plug in an electric razor. It was easier to store and more portable. I just used canned shaving soap. Somewhere along the way, I went to a double-blade razor, then three and five blade, but now I've dropped back to the three blade, and generic blades. I think the few major blade companies have overplayed their hand cranking up the prices. Now they're trying to sell blades online and/or by subscription. Men are being milked for the simple act of shaving. I sometimes use an electric razor when I'm in a hurry, but mostly I use a blade.
Ever noticed how upset wives get over shaving nicks? I'm careful and usually don't cut myself, but when I do, my wife is disturbed, as was my late wife. It's like a blight on my dignity. I don't know whether to be irked or honored -- I'm supposed to be so competent! Even down to shaving nicks.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
With straight and safety razors, small strokes, and little pressure are needed. I started wet shaving in High School, and have never looked back. A $12 pack of 100 blades has lasted me for three years, and on the rare ocassion that I get a nick, an alum bar is a quick fix. Merkur's 34HD is a great way to start because of the razor's extra weight. Just lay the blade against the skin and let its weight do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.