Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Vinegar is one of the worst smelling things I can imagine. I wouldn't put it in my pipe. Even if it evaporated and left it clean and good as new with no smell.
The sheer fact that I would have to smell it while I put it on a pipe cleaner would kill me.
Alcohol works, I don't see a reason to use anything else.
I'd use Iso alcohol before vinegar. Yuck.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
It is a mild acid. The smell goes away when it does.I am sure it would cut away gunk and ghosts.
Not sure if it is compatible with briar.
Add sodium bicarbonate for a CO2 blast?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I say give it a shot in a pipe you don't have too much money or emotional feeling invested in and get it as dirty and ghosty as you can... And attack it with vinegar lol
I guess you would have to get a blend that REALLY ghosts... best to use something you really dislike the taste of.
Then smoke the pipe. You're going to have to get it started by taking a few puffs, but if you filled it with something you REALLY dont like... then just blow into the bowl...tamp..continue blowing into the bowl until you've smoked the bowl by proxy to the bottom lol.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've used both vinegar & 99% alcohol, they seem to do the same to me & neither have a real appealing smell..one like pickles the other like I'm fixin to get a shot at the Dr.s office

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@crpntr1
How did you use the vinegar? Just for a regular cleaning with a pipe cleaner? Soaking the bowl to get rid of a ghost?
And no changes to the pipe structure or flavor of the pipe?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
I ve tried vinger befor. It worked well but had to use boiled water after removing salt and.vinger to ensure no.smell. It worked same as alcohol without any damage to the pipe finish or stem finish.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am the one who mentioned the vinegar lol. I use white vinegar and baking soda to strip a pipe down to the bare wood. That is, only when I want to remove the COMPLETE finish only. I put the pipe bowl in a very small dish or cup, fill bowl 3/4 full of baking soda, then pour white vinegar into the pipe bowl, it removes everything from bowl and shank and strips ALL finish off the pipe bowl and shank. I do this if I want to turn a pipe into a no finish look or strip it to re-finish it.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I know nothing of the sort. From what I have heard, rum or whiskey is best, as it keeps the briar sweet for years to come.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've used it for both, a few regular cleanings & once for a thorough cleaning...the fellow who got me into the pipe said he's been doing it for 25 or so years, so I figure it must be ok. The big time clean up was actually done by my buddy, I was watching close tho, lately I've been using alcohol...trying to decide which I like better.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I let it sit about three days before I smoked it, per his instructions, I didn't notice any changes.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I am the one who mentioned the vinegar lol. I use white vinegar and baking soda to strip a pipe down to the bare wood. That is, only when I want to remove the COMPLETE finish only. I put the pipe bowl in a very small dish or cup, fill bowl 3/4 full of baking soda, then pour white vinegar into the pipe bowl, it removes everything from bowl and shank and strips ALL finish off the pipe bowl and shank. I do this if I want to turn a pipe into a no finish look or strip it to re-finish it.
Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow! I have a couple bowls I'm working on and need to get the old finish off. Luckily, I have no emotional attachment to them,so I'll give it a go. How long does you let them soak?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yes? No.
No? Yes.
Maybe so? Mmmmm could be.
Works like a charm? Only if I'm lucky.
Are you insane? Don't know you'll have to ask my wife.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.