Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
Hello everyone, got a few questions:
1) What is the best online source for buying stems for pipes ? I'm looking for white stems, bit hard to find them.
2) Marxman pipes, how can I tell they're the real deal on Ebay and not fake ? Noticed a JFK one, then I noticed an almost identical one but yellow and black, then the head of Hitler, then the head of Mao Tse Dong, so obviously there are tons of copies out there.
3) Can anyone recommend a cheap brand for a black straight pipe, either Canadian, Lovat or similar.
4) I bought some charcoal filters, 9mm but they're slightly too long for the corncob pipes (I use balsa or paper instead), any idea which pipes they may fit ?
Thanks

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
1. Steve Norse/Vermont Freehand, but I don't know if he has any white currently.

2. Ebay is a tough nut, I'd read everything you can on authenticating and then it is still a gamble.

3. I usually go for natural or lightly stained pipes so I am of little assistance here.

4. They fit 9mm filter pipes. You have a 6mm filter pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. "..bit hard to find them" white stems sounds like a pun of some kind.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
3) Can anyone recommend a cheap brand for a black straight pipe, either Canadian, Lovat or similar.
Rossi
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=312890

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
+1 on the Rossi Vittoria line. Rusticated, bare-bones black pipes, and both of mine are excellent smokers. I actually have a Canadian in this line, and it's very comfortable and light. I don't think they make a Lovat in the line, but I sure wish they did.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't think they make a Lovat in the line, but I sure wish they did.
They do.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=313981

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
My bad, I did actually mean 6 mm, well they do fit with the exception of being too long for the actual pipes. Oh dang, I like those Rossi pipes (looking at them now).
What's the difference in smoking between a Canadian and Lovat ?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Lpool.gif
What's the difference in smoking between a Canadian and Lovat ?
I just had the whole Canadian family made for me by Kaywoodie to see what the real differences were. The biggest difference between a Canadian and a Lovat is that the oval shank makes for a slightly wider mouthpiece, more comfortable to me. But the Lovat has a saddle rather than a taper, and can make the weight a little better to hang out of your jaw. The smoking qualities of all four are basically equal, but the comfort in the mouth changes.

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
Awesome ... ok gotta ask then .. which one smokes the coolest ? Been years since I smoked pipe more often, so getting back into it (mainly right now so I can lay off the cigarettes) and been having some issues with mouth tingle, one of my corn cobs do have the amber stem, so I can see how the condensation is.
Didn't know it was oval vs round shank, thank you very much.
(Dang it lol Rossi don't carry filtered straight pipes in black ? lol)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I found them to be equally cool, to be totally honest. After much experimentation. I definitely like the longer shanks in general, whether it cools it or not, it definitely is nice to smoke. If you aren't inhaling, I don't think you need a filter, but if you prefer it, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.