PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So while watching the movie 'White Christmas' I see that Bing Crosby is smoking a wonderful looking billiard pipe. So after asking my local shop I was hooked on a "Bing's Favorite". After putting it off and putting it off I finally sad couldn't stand it any more, I jump with both feet, especially after I get a message from my B&M that they had just happen to get one in, just like I was hoping to order. Surprise I have to think it was planned. So far I'm loving the size and shape along with the length of the stem. I'm now the proud owner of a smooth Savanilli - Bings Favorite.
bings_F_B.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I watched it the other night as well and was looking closely at the pipe - in fact, my freeze framing through that scene irritated the wife to no end.
In fact, it is not a billiard at all. It is a Danish freehand that was purportedly made by Sixten Ivarrson for Bing. I believe the shape is called a nefertiti. Beautiful pipe (both yours and Bing's).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've enjoyed my Sav Bing for many years and I'm sure you will too. It's a real fine little pipe and you just can't beat a Savinelli. Have fun with it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nice, I have seen several members on different forums pick up a Bing's pipe in the past few weeks, reminds me of watching Bing in B&W growing up.

banjo

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I love my Bing's favorite It is a great looking pipe and a great smoke. the stem on mine is straight

Dec 24, 2012
This one is not a good deal, lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savinelli-Bings-Favorite-Walnut-Smoking-Pipe-Black-Lucite-Mouthpiece-5250k-/221496443185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3392378131

May 31, 2012
I watched it the other night as well and was looking closely at the pipe - in fact, my freeze framing through that scene irritated the wife to no end.
In fact, it is not a billiard at all. It is a Danish freehand that was purportedly made by Sixten Ivarrson for Bing. I believe the shape is called a nefertiti. Beautiful pipe (both yours and Bing's).
LOL the freeze-framing,

I can relate.
You're right about it being a Sixten Ivarsson - I was amazed to learn about that.

A really good pic of it is in the book Scandinavian Pipemakers.

Here's another pic, but not as "readable".
bing-crosby-corbis-530-85.jpg

bing200x150-73c20a32143ee5dbb214482046bb513633dd32b5-s6-c30.jpg

If you're really into Bing and would like to get a "historically correct" pipe,

look for a Merchant Service - he smoked them very often.
q9JnMuG.jpg

Bingandpipe.jpg

They were among Bing's favorite pipes, I've read that so many fans always wanted a momento and Bing was so gracious, that he had Merchant Service supply him with many many pipes, because he was always giving them away to fans!
Bing Crosby has done more for the pipe than any other entertainer. A pork pie hat and a pipe became his trademark, generating instant recognition for his multitude of fans. And since so many of Der Bingle's fans wanted to emulate his casual, contented air, a company called Merchant Service created the Crosby-style pipe which, like Bing's, has a very long, thin shank and stem. "It's my personal favorite," says Charlie Kornguth, owner of Beverly Hills Pipe & Tobacco Company for more than twenty years and in the industry for forty-six. He takes a new pipe from the shelf and points to the imprint: "Bing's Favorite."
They show up every now and again,

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/briar-estate-pipe-merchant-service-464792347
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.