PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-VTG-Estate-Tobacco-Pipe-Marked-DR-Dunhill-Duke-St-S-W-Inner-Tube-Restored-/192098243339?hash=item2cb9f2930b:g:arAAAOSw241YmSfl

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy cannoli! I'd like it better if the bowl had about 30% more!
s-l1600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Doesn't look like a bad pipe, but I have to ask, is this as totally cheesy as it sounds? Including the $1,200 price? What is it, a Dr. Grabow spliced to some Dunhill parts? It sounds like a basement forgery. If there is anything authentic about this, please enlighten me. In any case, I don't want it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dave- Send me $1200 and I'll bring it N next visit to Ontario....
I wouldn't offer $12.00.
Regardless of the make of the bowl, it looks topped- more like chopped and channeled— to beat the band. But it must be a Dunny- says so right there, impressed by hand, no doubt! AND, it has the white spot.... So it has to be genuine.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The fine matching of diameter on the stem to shank junction is a hallmark of only the best Dunhill certified repair shops.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
You can finance for $58 over 24 months. What's not to like?
/sarcasm

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regardless of the make of the bowl, it looks topped..
Indeed. Scroll down to the description:
You are bidding on the pictured estate pipe. This one is Marked "DR Dunhill Duke St S.W. Inner Tube Pat No. 5861/12" #5. This is a large, group #5 pipe. This is a restored pipe. I also had a replacement stem made for it by a certified Dunhill repair shop. The stem shown in the photos is the replacement. The second stem will be included with this purchase. As shown in the pics.
According to the pipephil.eu, (http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent1.html), the Dunhill DR Duke St pipes were made prior to 1918. Therefore this pipe is right at 100 years old.
I did have this pipe professionally restored. The following were done by the Dunhill Repair shop:
Full Pipe Restoration Included:
- replace Stem

- Open the Airway to 5/32” where pipe size allows

- Refinish Rim - Remove all charring, rerusticate (if appropriate)

- Strip, sand and restain bowl - Remove scratches, dents, etc.;

- Remove carbon from tobacco chamber, reround bowl and finish

- Sanitize entire airway and freshen

- Buff and Polish with multi-coats of Carnauba Wax

- Ozone Treatment
The Twilight Zone part really kicks in concerning the unmentioned & unlisted (?) shank splice. I doubt it was done originally, and the stamps have been gone since WWII.
Weirdest of all is that if it's an out-and-out deliberate attempt at fakery, why spend so much time and energy on something that would never sell? (for more than $20, anyway)
Bizarre

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have purchased pipes from this seller in the past and they were all dirty estate pipes at a fair price......then.... SHAZZAM....this seller started selling "restored" pipes. The prices went through the roof and the quality of the pipes took a nose dive!! If I recall, his "pipe restorer extraordinary" posted a pipe or two on here, namely a Charatan, that had been so heavily worked they were worthless to collectors. But this is the problem with eBay in a nutshell. This seller hooked up with a resto-butcherer and is now making money on less experienced buyers. I'll never even look at his pipes it disgusts me so much.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Well, the stummel (or at least part of it,) looks to be an authentic Dunhill DR, and they don't come much better than that. If the accompanying documentation is appropriate, there would be nothing wrong with purchasing a pipe that's been repaired and brought fully up to snuff. The price seems a bit high given that the repairs are so obvious, however. For example, note that the stem doesn't match up to the shank as well as it should. I would expect more precise workmanship from Dunhill. Assuming you've got $1200 in spare cash lying about, that is.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hmmm ... another chop-top-pot; this one with the added bonus of added wood ...
Even smart ass words fail me. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'd think, by the time a new pipe smoker knew enough about pipes to know what a Dunhill is, they would know enough not to want this chop job. I guess the bet is that there is some total innocent who is not so innocent as to not have $1,200 to spare. But if they are so interested in status as to want a Dunhill rather than many other fine pipes for $11 to $250, why wouldn't they learn just a little about them, to know this isn't what they want? It kind of blows the mind. There must be a world of drunk or high people cruising ebay living out their fantasies on their credit cards. You'd have to be good a schnockered to go for this pipe.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What amazed me was the rather obvious seam in the two parts of the shank and that nothing is said of it. Yet the guy has 100% satisfaction rating with a very high number of sales! Can it be possible that someone has that much money tied up in this pipe or really thinks it worth so much? I mean, the top of the bowl looks like it was sawed off and the back half of the shank and stem are all replacements! So you are getting part (a third?) of maybe an old Dunhill that someone has worked hard at fabricating all the missing pieces! Maybe someone ought to contact the seller and tell him he is off his gourd.

Status
Not open for further replies.