PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you haven't heard of them they're stones that retain the cold of the freezer and don't sweat so your glass of whiskey or scotch etc. isn't watered down. My girl picked up a box of nine of them from Sur La Table on sale for around $12, they're usually $20. I really like them alot and was curious how many other people have heard of or use them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have heard of them but I have never used them.
I would appreciate it as a gift but I would probably never buy them for myself. I would probably buy Scotch with the money instead. ;)
I prefer to drink Scotch or Bourbon neat, at room temperature, with a glass of spring water on the side to occasionally cleanse my palate.
I know a drop or two of water can "open up" a single malt but I really prefer the concentrated flavours.
I'd imagine that the whiskey stones are great, though, for occasions where I wanted something cold.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I was given some as a gift. I have only used them a few times. I am stuck in my old ways of drinking bourbon neat and room temp.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have heard of em and want to try them out. I prefer bourbon and whiskey a little chilled, so I think I'd like em!

Aug 1, 2012
I have a couple packs I got for $3 each. The only thing I've used them for is an ice pack.
Love my whiskey with a little water at cellar temp.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Yep, got a set of them myself and regularly use them with my scotch... Have to fight wifey off of them sometimes as we had two sets when new, but gave one away to a friend.

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
The phrase "On the rocks" came from the Scottish pulling cold pebbles out of the river bed and dropping them into their glasses of scotch to chill the drink. The little bit of spring water helped open it up and dilute it a bit. So now these freezer pack like "rocks" are out on the market to replicate that old tradition and prevent the over diluted whiskey that happens when trying to sip on a dram with ice cubes. I say using actual "rocks" is a great idea and I would be tempted to just put pebbles in the freezer. Putting the whole bottle in the freezer would be too cold for me, and most drinkers; I'll leave that for Gin and Vodka. And if using these "Whiskey stones" or actual pebbles, I would still put in a drop of spring water!

A toast, gentlemen?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The whiskey stones are made from specific rock to help keep the cold in. The ones from Sur La Table are soapstone which supposedly is one of the more superior stones at retaining cold temperatures.
Don't think I'd ever put a spirit in the freezer. Maybe in the refridgerator but definitely not the freezer. If you froze the spirit then it'd sweat itself upon thawing and dillute the flavor too much.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like Scotch usually with a bit of water and bourbon with an ice cube. The rocks sound interesting, though. I did put a small, compacted snowball in a glass of scotch once. simnettpratt yelled at me for adulterating my scotch, but it tasted pretty good!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just assumed if you put a liquid in a freezer it'd freeze. Never knew the freezing point of alcohol but then again I've never heard of anyone ever putting a spirti in a freezer before which is probably why I never thought of alcohol's freezing point.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I only drink my vodka from the freezer. I've got whiskey stones on my wish list, but that's about where it ends.
-Jason

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@baron; Hey, I forgave you later because we had snow in Texas (on Christmas!), and you were entitled to go a little wonky ;)
I put vodka in the freezer too; don't put anything in scotch or bourbon though. The rocks seemed like a good idea in other beverages though, because they don't dilute the drink. I had a friend who wanted to raid his father's home bar when he was away, so he carefully selected somthing he didn't think his dad would miss. He found this old bottle of brandy and drank the whole thing. Later on, he felt guilty and told his dad. Turns out it was a $4,000 bottle of brandy that was laid down in the Middle Ages.
He mixed it with Coke.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
At the whiskey bar around here they have a big ice block and chip off chunks of it so that those who want rocks get the nice slow melt of one single larger chunk rather than regular cubes which melt too quickly. I prefer it neat when I'm at home, but when I go out it can be nice to enjoy a glass in this way.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
No, never tried whisky stones.I like my scotch room temperature with a splash of room temperature water. That's just how I do it.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I've tried them but they don't cool my dram down enough. I usually like it around the 14 Degrees Celsius and add two or three drops of spring water to wake up the flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.