Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
When I am able to sit and relax for a bit and smoke a pipe, I generally include a cocktail of some sort. Tonight happens to be whiskey sour night. My huskies (of which I have two) tend to be nearby when I do this. Mostly because my wife uses the opportunity to have a little peace and quiet of her own and chases us all away. Huskies in my experience tend to be very social dogs, and more than a little rambunctious, particularly in their younger years. Which means that there is no shortage of wrestling going on, and wisdom dictates that you just stay out of the way and watch with a smile. However, there are times that huskies just seem to need a lot of love and they turn into lapdogs. Picture 100 pounds of husky trying to climb on your lap, lick your face, all while competing for affection. Generally this happens at really inconvenient times. For example, when one has just gotten settled in a comfortable chair, with a whiskey sour in one hand, and a pipe in the other....

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Rambunctious is a nice way to describe a husky. I tend to describe them as trouble makers.

They are spirited animals, a good spirit to drink is helpful when you get dragged into their wrestling.

On the other hand, a pipe probably won't be finished.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Spirited, trouble makers, indeed! Not to mention highly intelligent smart asses! I have never had any other breed so adept at teasing/antagonizing other dogs. Oh, and shedding you say? A grocery bag of fur per day is a normal spring day! Sometimes I think that the power of “cute” is the only reason we let them live!
Some of the finest animals I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Years ago I had a friend who owned 2 huskies. They were a handful and loved playing rough with each other. The shedding was ridiculous.
I have an American Bull dog that weighs a hundred pounds and thinks he is a lap dog. He will climb on me and go through a good 15 minutes of licking my face and neck off. He is a smart ass, and works me and my younger son all the time. I will take him out and then 5 minutes later he acts like he hasn't pissed in a month when he corners my son. I will give him a treat and then he runs to my son upstairs and tries to work him. He is relentless and I bet he is laughing his ass off when it works.

Here are a couple of pics. The second one shows how he sits on one of my chairs on my lanai.

brutus-600x401.jpg

brutus2-450x600.jpg

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Lol, they are amazingly adept at training their humans. The silly things they do, bring great joy, and make the “handful” element mostly imperceptible. One of the coolest things I have ever watched was one of my huskies stalking a rabbit much like a cat would. She was an incredible dog.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Another interesting thing about huskies is their tendency to talk. They have a large vocabulary and spare no opportunity to add something to the conversation. With enough whiskey sours you may even start to understand them.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
My vet pointed out to me once that they always know when there is a husky in the building. They definitely make there presence and displeasure known. And yes, after a few whiskey sours, you can’t help but to howl back at them!
I did have one husky that was an oddity though. In ten plus years I heard her bark maybe twice, and howl only a handful of times. Gentlest dog I ever had too. Never once did she snap, bite, or chew in any way with a person, aggressively nor playfully. No matter what you did to her, she would just roll over belly up with that “please just love me” mmlook on her face. She loved to wrestle and chew on other dogs though.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I have had more trouble with Husky fur getting mixed in with my tobacco than with other breeds. I tend to see it packed in my pipe every tenth bowl or so. Half the time I can get it easily out, the other half I do a quick flash flame to burn it away before trying for a proper light.

Status
Not open for further replies.