Tags:   

Which Tobacco Kind for a Ropp Canadian?

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by axeltwenties
  • Latest reply from Cosmic
  1. axeltwenties

axeltwenties

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I just bought a ropp canadian. Which kind of tobacco you suggest to use with this kind of pipe?
    EM, Latakia, Aromatic or Virginia?
    I have this tobaccos brand with me.

Ennerdale --> Savinelli Clark Favorite
    Coconut aromatic John Aylesbury -> Vauen Lord of the rings
    Balkan Latakia / Covent EM --> Brebbia OAM Paul / Peterson Calabash

I have Commonwealth / SG Full Virginia / Red Raparee / SweetHoney dew . Which?
    And the other pipes are Ropp Canadian, Peterson System Standard /
    which combinations you suggest?
    Thanks again!
    A.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. axeltwenties

axeltwenties

Login to Send PM

I have also a Butz Choqin Calabash. to combine with.
    Help
    A.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is one of those impossible to answer questions, because no one can tell how a pipe is going to smoke, or what tobacco it is going to like, until you smoke it.
    My personal preferences are to smoke Virginia blends in smaller bowls, and use larger bowls for lat blends and the rare aros that I smoke. I have come to prefer wider bowls - pots, authors, and so on - for flakes. This is after I break them in, usually with Lane Ready Rubbed.
    Again, this is all purely subjective. YMMV.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will second what Jud has said, everything is subjective. I say pick a blend and see how it goes!

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. axeltwenties

axeltwenties

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I have only one question. Regarding the Full Virginia which Pipe of what I have are the best one for this?
    And for the little Peterson Calabash which kind of tobacco. Obviously your pov.
    Thanks again|
    A

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't mean to sound condescending or glib, but you should smoke whatever kind of tobacco in whatever pipe you want.

Your tastes and palate are your own. Try different blends in different pipes and decide what YOU like.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

you should smoke whatever kind of tobacco in whatever pipe you want.

+1

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A 'problem' with that approach, however, is the chances of ghosting a pipe that's not suitable for the given blend. Geometry matters (although many will jump immediately and declare it doesn't). Canadians are a bit of a stack/chimney shape, so, based on how much time you have to smoke, you can try folded flakes (slow burn), or fine cuts (faster burn).

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The posts are correct that it is difficult to pair things. You'll have to go by trial and error. Some Canadian shape pipes are quite broad bowled, and others are just medium and a few are small. Broad bowls sometimes favor more complex blends, like four or more tobaccos. A smaller bowl might do flake/coin/plug/rope especially well. But your trying around will give you more information specifically suited to your own tastes, and I'd go with that.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Come on guys, you are just playing with him... tell him the truth... You can only smoke Borkum Riff Cherry in a Ropp Canadian. It's the law. You're welcome.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try different blends in different pipes and decide what YOU like.
    Exactly that. Once you've acquired a few pipes and a few different blend types, you'll begin to discover what works best for you. We all have our different ideas, and some that we even swear by. But sometimes the opposite can be true. As an example, I might say Balkan/English blends smoke best in a wide, shallow bowl (such as the Savinelli 320). But you might find those blends smoke better in something else. Take all recommendations with a grain of salt. Surely try them! But make your own choice based on your own experience. You might like how the Balkan/English blends smoke in a very narrow, chimney pipe.... I might think your crazy, but it's your pipe, your experience, your enjoyment, not mine.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. axeltwenties

axeltwenties

Login to Send PM

Thanks one more questions since you said,
    What do you think about Savinelli Tundra 320?
    Thanks!!

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to stick to a self-imposed rule of smoking my Virginias and VaPers in tall narrow chambers, and balkans and blends in larger pot-shaped bowls. Burleys got the mega bowls, and aromatics were burned in just whatever pipe I didn't feel like was important enough for a good tobacco.

But, lately I have been honing in on briar aromas, to see what works best with new pipes, and some wider pipes seemed to really give me a new outlook on some Virginias, especially a ribbon. One of the more interesting aspects of the hobby is experimenting, broaden and expand your ability to pick out flavors. Explore... there ain't no rules... take risks.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude