PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Hello guys,
I have seen some of your icons have Einstein smoking a pipe. I wanted to know if anybody here knew which blend did he smoke?
Just curious!
maybe I can smoke some of that and get smarter ?!?!
;))

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Revelation - out of production blend by Philip Morris and House of Windsor.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/albert-einsteins-tobacco
There are numerous copycats including C&D Epiphany and 4noggins Painter Hills...
Edit: LOL - a second ago there were no replies, clearly I am not a quick draw.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked Revelation in college in the early 1970's hoping for some of the Einstein magic. Nada other than the prof "borrowing" a bowl every class.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Great,

so will "C&D Epiphany and 4noggins Painter Hill"

Either will at least give me the taste of what was in the pipe????

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Charger,
They are as good as you are going to get - they are inspired by Revelation, but they are not exact recreations by any means. I doubt they have access to the original recipe and it is a given that they don't have access to the same base tobaccos so there is only so close you can get...
Even a vintage tin of Revelation wouldn't be anything like Einstein would have smoked due to the ravages of time.
In my opinion, age is not kind to C&D Epiphany so I would bet that Revelation would taste like shredded paper and/or dust if smoked today...

May 31, 2012
I smoked Revelation in college in the early 1970's hoping for some of the Einstein magic. Nada other than the prof "borrowing" a bowl every class.
:lol: ...that reminds me of this Gold Block commercial... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBgEofQY1M

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Dragon, I believe he found that you could only ever smoke one bowl of Carter Hall, no more, no less, and if you smoked that and a quarter bowl of Mélange, it was equal to smoking two bowls of Epiphany, but they were all made from the same leaf, and that is where all other tobaccos come from.
Sorry.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
There are numerous copycats including C D Epiphany and 4noggins Painter Hills..
The C D Epiphany is not a bad blend. Don't think I'd make it my everyday choice, but I keep some on hand for every now and then when I'm working some in depth quantum theory problems, like balancing the monthly budget.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I did get an opportunity to smoke some Revelation before House of Windsor folded. I liked Country Doctor, by the same company, better, myself.
If you want a blend in a similar vein, try the Hearth and Home blend "Beverwyck". I smoked a couple of ounces last summer and enjoyed it immensely. There's an 8 ounce tin in the pantry, waiting for the right time to open it.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I never got to try the original "Revelation," but a friend of mine who smoked tons of the stuff back in the '60s and '70s swears that "Epiphany" is a virtual clone of it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
ha haa.. I loved that commercial. Thanks for posting....
I hope that sealed your "A" 8)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In case anyone's interested, I'd highly recommend Walter Isaacson's biography of Einstein. (He's the same writer who did the recent Steve Jobs bio and an earlier one on Benjamin Franklin.) Pipe smoking definitely comes up in the book; apparently, Einstein smoked constantly, morning to night.
Anyway, it's a great read, even if, like me, you are seriously math-illiterate.
Bob

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm surprised someone hasn't blended an Einstein themed knock-off of Revelation and re-named it, "Relativity." That would be an endless source or corny jokes.
"Is it good? I enjoy it but, you know, taste is relative."
I'm here all night folks.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Cajunguy, I understand that while smoking that blend, you age more slowly than those smoking other blends.
I also hear that the blend smells different when you walk towards some smoking than when you walk away from someone smoking it.
I also understand that no matter how hard you puff, you can only smoke it at a certain speed that cannot be exceeded.
How about a blend called "Schrodinger's" where you can never know for certain if the tin is going to have any tobacco in it or not.
Or Planck's blend? The advertising tagline pitch could be: "Tired of unpredictable tobacco flavor? Our flavor is constant."

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Fanning the flames tslex, fanning the flames! Oh, what the hell...
Planck didn't blend that tobacco; he found it! Out of NOWHERE!
Niels Bohr was wrong not to like Shrödinger's. Their tagline: "Wanted. Dead and Alive. Smoke Schrödinger's and you will see."
And flake really does get shorter on the Bullet Train.
tslex, you just did the equivalent of quoting Holy Grail to a bunch of computer geeks. Sorry OP...

Status
Not open for further replies.