PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
If you were to rate Radice, Pete, Sav... from 1 to 3, in the price range of $200.00 - $275.00, what would they be?

Mine so far as what I have =

#1..Radice

#2..Sav

#3..Peterson

And # 1 & 2 better than some DH's I have. & If I am missing some other pipe in between, please advise. Have an addiction for just one more pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own and haven't smoked a Radice. I would put the Sav's ahead of Petersons for their consistency, but

I like the solidity and heft of Petes, and with some pipes, think they are irreplaceable.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Given what is available for today's quality offerings from each maker I would have to agree.

1) Radice

2) Savanelli

3) Peterson

It pains me though that my beloved Irish pipes are on the bottom. If only they were still making pipes like they did 30 years ago my list would look much different.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I am happy to say that I smoke and enjoy all 3 makers listed. Basically it all comes down to the shape and style of pipe in that price category. iMO you won't be disappointed with any of those choices.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never had a Radice, but I put Petes and Savs on equal ground. I'm a little bias toward the styling of Petersons, but I wouldn't rate them any better or worse than Savs. That being said, I have way more Petes than Savs. I have 14 Petersons, and 2 Savs with another Sav on the way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned several Radice's over the years and in my opinion they might just be the best bang for the buck in Italian pipes. Everyone smoked cool and dry and they were all extremely well made.
I have owned half a dozen Savinelli's and while they were good smokers, I would say they are a tier below Radice. I have only owned one Peterson and I did not care for it at all, it had a P Lip so that was one of the issues. I went looking at Pete's at my local b/m once and was disturbed to see how many were drilled poorly and the fit and finish on many were lousy as well. I do like the looks of many Petes and I know there are plenty of good ones out there but in terms of consistent quality, Radice is a class above.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I agree that Radice are perhaps one of the best deals in pipes out there. I only have one right now but hoping to to add another in the near future.
Savinelli's are great as well and always consistent. Even their budget class pipes that I've had experience with have always performed great.
Although Peterson has had some questionable QC over the past few years, I've had good luck with them. I have a Harp that has been a great smoker isn't even fully broken in yet.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I would pretty much agree with the OP list.

I have two Radice Caminetto Business pipes. Both are excellent smokers. My Savinellis are okay too. I have one 301 bent Pete System Standard with p-lip that I bought in an estate purchase and that is also a fine smoker. My other Petes are okay, but some are still in break-in stage and one (a #31 System) is still bleeding stain on my hands.
If I buy another pipe, I may try for a Dunhill estate, just to satisfy my curiosity about the Dunhill mystique. (Hey, I could spend a whole lot more on Alabama football tickets, right? :P)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@Fitzy, I have a Caminetto "107KS" Business. It is a very high quality pipe! The fit and finish is top notch, and it smokes great! It has one of the best rustication jobs I've ever seen! It is a little on the heavy side, but it's also a pretty big pipe.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I never had a Radice, mainly because I never saw one, which I liked, but I never had a Savinelli, which wasn't a fantastic smoker and they were all under 100$ pipes. My Petersons are ok, but with Savinellis you get the most smoking pleasure for your bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.