Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Which Should I Try First?

(22 posts)
  1. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sampler from Pipes and Cigars dot com arrived today. I received a tin of Escudo, a pouch of Carter Hall and an ounce each of Anniversary Kake, Black House and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye flake. I took a whiff of the Black House and it smelled a lot like Larry's Blend, which is a good thing.
    Now my question is, which should I try first, and why?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, Escudo and Anniversary Kake are both awesome, but I'd go with Blackhouse. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard pretty much only good things.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I enjoy and stock all of those, so any of the above. The LBF will be much better than it is now in 2-3 years, so if it were mine, I'd jar that one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard that about Bullseye, but I only bought an ounce to test it. If I like it, I will buy more and jar it up. Looks like Black House may be the winner tonight, although I have heard so many good things about Escudo that I may not be able to resist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

As good as Larry's Blend is, Blackhouse is superior, IMO. I don't know whether its the Kentucky or what, but something in it just sets it apart.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As good as Larry's Blend is, Black House is superior, IMO. I don't know whether its the Kentucky or what, but something in it just sets it apart.

I agree, though I am not a fan of Larry's Blend (sacrilege, I know )

I think I like BH so much because, to me, the latakia is subdued. According to Russ Ouelette, who created Black House to replicate a 25 year old Balkan (the original Balkan Sobranie, IIRC), Russ was trying to develop the blend so that the latakia component was as it would be in the very well aged original -- mellow, sweet, lightly smokey.

Even using Cyprian, not Syrian, and the challenge required, I think Russ hit a home run with Black House. I am not a huge latakia fan, but I really enjoy Black House.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried Black House yet but I do really love the Bullseye Flake, in fact I just got another 4oz if it (a lot for me). A balance between flavors and it burns pretty cool if you don't push it.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You know what I like best about LBF? The cavendish "bulls eye." It is unlike the other coins, such as Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions, or Newminster #403. LBF is a bit too hay-like when fresh for me, though. Gets really good after 2-3 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I am somewhat of a Latakia hound, but its not always about the amount of Latakia in a blend for me. If it were, I'd be smoking Odyssey constantly. It's about how well it integrates into the blend and how well it is balanced by the other tobaccos. I love lat bombs like Odyssey and Star of the East, but also enjoy blends that harmonize it with the other stuff, like Blackhouse, the new Balkan Sobranie, and LJ Peretti's Royal Blend. Then there's blends where I feel the Latakia is a bit clumsily mixed in, like in Lancer's Slices.

I like Larry's and although I recognize it as a good blend, I find that I don't reach for it very often. When I'm in the mood for that style of tobacco, I go for LJ Peretti's Omega.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bogglor -- you're the same Bogglor from Cigar Geeks, right?

Hehe -- welcome to the dark side, brother

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

Indeed. I'm much more a pipe man these days, though. Cigars and winter don't mix. Living in Maine, I'm sure you can relate. Plus, piping is a bit more flexible for my lifestyle (busy dad of a 3 year old boy and a second one due in a couple months). Also, I really enjoy the variety inherent in it. I might start putting some energy toward reviews here like I did over at CG as a result of my relatively newfound love of the briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's great, Bogglor -- glad to have you with us

I, too, have cut 'way back on cigars. I now smoke like a few cigars a month and now with winter upon us, even less.

This year, I've gotten back into puffing on my pipes and, like riding a bicycle, it all came back to me LOL. Although I must say there are a lot of new stuff to learn -- new pipes, tobaccos, etc. -- and sadly, many of the old standbys have gone the way of the dodo {sigh}.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't speak for the Blackhouse, but I the other three are among my favorites. You can't go wrong. Since Escudo and LBF are similar (similar... Not the same), I would try them back to back. In addition to what Roth said about aging the LBF, Anniversay Kake ages very well too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My unbiased opinion would be Black House.

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black House all the way. You will NOT be disappointed!

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All right, first sample was Black House in my Ben Wade sandblast. The pouch smell reminded me of Larry's Blend, which is my favorite tobacco. Once I got it fired up, I really enjoyed the complex flavors. I would describe it as Larry's Blend, only more so. It was almost too much for me, but it took me right to the edge and then eased off. I still prefer Larry's Blend (don't hate me), but Black House is really good too.
    Now, next up will probably be Escudo. I have never smoked a flake tobacco before. Should I rub it out, fold and stuff, or what? Any thoughts on what pipe might be best? I have a smooth Savinelli with an apple shaped bowl that has just barely been broken in, and I thought I would make this my VaPer pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to rub out Escudo, tho most say fold and stuff, my vaper pipe is a bent billiard.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Chris. Is it good to go right out of the tin, or does it need some drying time?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sort of do a cube cut with it(As recommended by Harris) but I'm still trying to learn to like Virginia's or Va/Per's.

I peel the coin into strips and then cut those strips into cubes with scissors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it good to go right out of the tin, or does it need some drying time?

20 minutes or so usually

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I just wasted an hour of my life on an online help chat with H&R Block trying to get my state taxes filed, which was not helpful, so I could use a good smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

next up will probably be Escudo. I have never smoked a flake tobacco before. Should I rub it out, fold and stuff, or what? Any thoughts on what pipe might be best?

I'm thinking any of the "Big 3" preps would work OK with Escudo. I prefer cube cutting in 1/8" pieces for all my flakes. But with Escudo's relatively thin flakes, the other two methods work and are quick and easy. Of course, probably more important that choosing the prep style is proper drying the bowlful prior to packing.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   torque, agnosticpipe, yazamitaz, curl, wyfbane, kcvet67, ravkesef, conlejm, jmill208, goldsm, simnettpratt, sparks, anthonyrosenthal74, dcrguns, tbradsim1, pruss, phil67, peckinpahhombre, brudnod