PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am getting interested in the ropes/twists offerings from the SG/GH syster companies. The different types are probably relatively similar. Which one would you suggest to try and why? As a reference point I had 1792 flake which I definitely like which is why I am getting interested in the rope/twist type.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Funny you should mention 1792 and rope in the same post. I smoked some 1792 a while ago doing yard work, and followed it with Coconut twist when I was done.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would start with Black Irish Twist and Brown Irish Twist (or Brown Bogie), but chasingember's mention of Coconut Twist reminds me how good a choice it is.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I didn't find coconut twist to be very strong, it was great though. I would recommend Brown bogie by g&h over the Brown Irish as the Brown Irish is stronger than Brown bogie, and the bogie is strong. I would try a small amount of black twist as it's very different

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you're a fan of savory flavors, Black Twist XX is strong, and tastes like charbroiled beef.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never smoked the SG versions of brown and black rope; someday. I've also never smoked any other twists. Plain, ultra strong nicotine and strong flavor. Back in the pipe's heyday all manner of English shops made and sold their own twists.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We're going to bring that heyday back.
I've been wandering around the flood wreckage, smoking a pipe, talking with people. Lots of positive feedback.
Let's face it, a pipe is less phallic than a cigarette.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
SG Brown No.4
Just a no nonsense, strong tobacco goodness. Not one I smoke often but when I'm in the mood for something heavy duty, it never fails to satisfy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They're good. Just go in with your eyes open. I'd do the first few bowls in a small pipe, or a partially packed pipe, to see how you do. Experienced pipe smokers with good nicotine resistance probably won't have a problem. I think it is true that, while black rope is full strength and quite a kick, brown rope is stronger still.

Mar 29, 2016
GH Deluxe Twist XXX for a more manageable nicotine level with plenty of a medium Virginia taste and characteristics. GH Brown Irish Twist for a stout cigar like smoke. For some reason I find the GH ropes/twists better than the ones from SG.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Coconut twist and black twist XX are the only 2 I've tried, but both are great. I have to pace, cuz I'm a nic-weinie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.