PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Happy weekend, all!
Being in need of a little extra money, I've decided to part with one of two of my Root Briars. I'm having great difficulty because they are a perfectly complimentary set. One is tapered, one is a saddle bit. One has straight grain, the other is covered in birdseye. One has a narrow chamber, the other is wider. One is dark, one is light. One is from 1962, the other from 1975.
I would be swayed a little more toward one or the other if I knew one was of more value than the other, but I wouldn't know very well how to price either one. Some Roots seem to sell for $500, others for $250.
If you were in my predicament, which would you keep, which would you sell, and why?
Thanks for the advice,
Steve
1962 331
img_5578-600x399.jpg

1975 423
img_5579-600x372.jpg

Side by side
img_5580-600x448.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I know very little about Dunhill, but would guess that the 62 is worth more. Pre-68 DUnhills go for more coin than newer ones. Why? No idea, lol. But I am sure others will tell us. Maybe it's the briar or just general level of craftsmanship.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks guys. It's been an annoying rollercoaster in my mind so far going back and forth haha. The more opinions I get and can add to the balance, the easier it will be for me to choose (or at least that's the idea...haha!).

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Good question, Jay. Unfortunately, like every other quality, they both are great and unique individually. The more narrow chamber on the '62 is great for a flake and keeps some of the tobaccos that I like a little moister burning nicer, while the wider chamber on the '75 handles other stuff equally as well. This may be a personal problem of always looking on the bright side of everything...I can't find a flaw in either one of these!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before I read the other posts, I chose the 62 as the keeper, just because it is a more classic design and seems a little better balanced design. peck' says it is likely worth more which would have settled the question otherwise. With luck, foggymountain might weigh in. He's a Dunhill devotee and knows the line.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
If I were you, and I liked both the same, it would depend on the money. If you need lots, sell the more valuable one, if you need less, keep the gem.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the opinion, MSO. The value would only sway me if one were a good $100 or more above the other, I think, so it isn't unfortunately as easy as that haha. I'm famously indicisive, so I'm trying to stack up as much positives for each one as possible and hoping the scales tip enormously toward one or the other. Most of this contention, I'm starting to see, has more to do with me liking both too much haha.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That's cold hard logic, workman, and it seems like I could use a little more of that in my decision process haha. Thanks for weighing in.

Dec 28, 2015
I am a sucker for saddle bits and also live Birdseye so I was going to say the 75 but before I could type that I realized that I actually like the shape and length of the 62 better. So I don’t really know what I would do. That helps a lot huh?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Hmmmm, perhaps you should look into shifting a kidney instead. That's not a decision I would wish to make. I have never been able to part with any pipes of mine. Even the ones I deem to be lesser smokers or less attractive. I think I'm just a bit of a sentimental sap when it comes to such things.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I love the birds eye on the 75, but the 62 has a nicer shape altogether. I vote keep the 62!

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I agree with jazz. Sell something else. Maybe a couple tins of McC? :wink:

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
To my eye the 62 is perfect in a lot of ways. I love saddle stems as well but if it were my choice I'd keep the 62, regardless of which is worth a little more.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for weighing in, everyone! Looks like the '62 is getting the most votes. I will safely tuck him away and do my best to start the process of saying goodbye to the '75 haha. :cry:

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Since Dunhill briars will forever be out of my range, I would keep them all and smoke them until I went to the big cellar in the sky! LOL

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Keep them both and sell your snowblower for the money. You likely won't need it for 7-8 months and won't miss it, but you will miss the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.