PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
There seem to be so many different kinds of pipe reamer on the market that the choice is confusing. Prices range from a couple of pounds to over £100. I currently use a cheap one as pictured in this kit (sorry not a great pic) at the top left.
Which reamer would you recommend?
6448878275_bba4870d5f_m.jpg

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
I have been using the castleford reamer since i started smoking pipes. It has four sizes for all bowls. Never had a problem with it.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have a collection but my Kleen Ream of which the Senior is taken from gets used the most but on some of my freehands I have to sort out a reamer that fits.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Senior Reamer - contact Jack at Sterling Tobacco - I think he offers them the cheapest - I got my first one at a pipe store in Stockton for $49 back in 1994 - I got the same reamer from Jack for under $20 bucks!!!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have a Kleen-ream which is identical to the Senior but since getting a Castleford about the only thing I use the Kleen-Ream for is when I need an extra hand when working on a pipe. Put it in the bowl,crank it up snug and put the reamer in my vise.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The first, and pretty much only, thing that you are going to need is a pipe reamer. There are a few different kinds of pipe reamers, but the two most popular ones are The Senior Reamer and The British Buttner. The Senior Reamer is larger and easier to use than the British Buttner. I would suggest getting both types of them if you can. The reason why I suggest getting both is that there are mainly two different shapes of tobacco chambers.

This is from Bob Tate's article.

I found it helpful.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you for all the answers. I now know that the kind I currently use is called The British Buttner! I guess I will add a Senior Reamer to my collection in the New Year.
Cheers for the help :clap:

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Has anyone found that the senior reamer doesn't ream all the way down to the bottom of the bowl? Am I doing something wrong? I had to finish up with a butner reamer cause the senior left a carbon wall at the bottom.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A good pocket Knife with a sheep foots blade seems to work better than a Senior reamer . I got mine at a Salvation Army store for .50cents . Just keep looking in thrift stores and you will be rewarded . One would have to be ........ in the head to buy one new . Your right Hobie this has sexual overtones and all the talk of reaming scares me .I hope my daughter is a safe distance away while I type this . :crazy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have the Castleford set, but sometimes pipe bowls fall between the four size options. I use an old Swiss army knife in those cases, the blade is shaped perfectly for a pipe chamber. But, I should probably pick up a Senior reamer as well. Funny, I typically only ream estate pipes I'm refurbishing and rarely ream my own smokers. I do the paper-towel bowl wipe after each smoke and I guess that keeps the cake minimal.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just ordered a Senior reamer via Amazon for $19 delivered. I checked the Sterling page, but all I saw was tobacco blends, no tools/accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153SQ70/ref=ox_ya_os_product

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ha
s anyone found that the senior reamer doesn't ream all the way down to the bottom of the bowl? Am I doing something wrong? I had to finish up with a butner reamer cause the senior left a carbon wall at the bottom.
That's one reason I prefer the Castleford. I only use my Kleen Ream on some tapered bowls.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Asking which reamer do I need is like asking which pipe do I need? The answer is more than one for the reasons stated here already, not every reamer correctly reams every pipe.
I'd recommend starting out with the British Butner
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2186_204556057

and this one
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2183_79908793

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Just bought a castleford and senior for around 30 shipped. I'd recommend using castleford if you have ambulatory issues with your hands (like I do).

Status
Not open for further replies.