PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Which professions come to mind associated with pipe smoking? Here's my quick free-association

list: Professor, psychiatrist, farmer, writer, editor, detective, retiree, philosopher, wizard.
What have I missed?

Jan 8, 2013
I don't think there are any professions you can narrow down as pipe smoking professions. It is a hobby enjoyed by all kinds of men (and a few women) be they very rich or very poor. I believe it is one of those things that a prince and a pauper could sit down and relate together on.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
mso49, I think you hit most of the archetypes: I've been a college instructor, an editor, a writer. Aspire to be a wizard, but lack the talent. Maybe if I get a churchwarden?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I believe it is one of those things that a prince and a pauper could sit down and relate together on.
@Anthony: Couldn't agree more, and have said that myself. More on the pauper side myself, but if I was Lord of the Manor smoking Escudo out of my $5,000 Dunhill, I'd still happily share a bowl with a destitute smoking codger burley out of his one cob.
@mso: I have noticed an unusually large number of miltary, techs and musicians on this site though.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I say with no delight that "hipsters" or people looking to scream how different they are also smoke a pipe quite poorly and very openly. Other than that I think you hit most of the stereotypical professions. As for church wardens I own one, when I smoke Aros I tend to puff to hard and the extra stem helps. Other than that it's mostly cobs, or a fancy briar, if I'm going somewhere ;)

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
One of my physician buddies smokes both pipes and cigars. So, add docs to the list.
Oh, and don't leave out the actors. I'm thinking Edward G. Robinson, of course. Hehehe.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Well I don`t know about professions. I have worked at a chemical company as a systems operator for 34+ years. I am also a retired volunteer firemen 24 years. I have been smoking for 41 years. What the hell someone has to do it. I also worked in QC for 20+ years at the old chemical co. My pipe has always been with me.
Mike.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm going to move from 'professions' to personalities.
Thoughtful, introspective folks. Great thinkers.
Ok, maybe its just how I see it.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Private detectives living at 221B Baker Street, London, England.
I believe you will only find a very clever Consulting Detective at that address Sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref roth and churchwardens -- definitely place an (imaginary) warning sign on all churchwarden pipes,

No Lunting (lunting is walking with a pipe, for newcomers). Bent pipes are best for walking, and be

cautious with those. I do love to walk and smoke a pipe, however. Yup, churchwardens are for when

your ass is in a chair and you are in contemplation. Churchwardens are not clenchers. Point taken.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I think lion tamers should smoke pipes. Can't explain why, I just think it sounds right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
irwinmetro, love the lion tamer idea. Maybe we should send Gunter Williams a cob. Let me see...

for my prospective outside-the-box pipe smoking profession, I'd say astronomer. Those gals and

guys need something to keep them awake on those long nights in those cold observatories, or

inside watching those electronic telescope screens. Also, the right tobacco puts you in distinct

touch with the cosmos -- more than any pharmaceuticals or alcoholic beverage. It leaves you

clear of mind but cosmic in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.