Which Pipe Should I use to try AK for the First Time(PICS)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
24 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Peterson "Wicklow" Shape 69.

224889_10151390133937889_79245687_n.jpg

Medico Varsity Brown Blast

537784_10151390141282889_339429357_n.jpg

Caminetto

484859_10151416707482889_458898311_n.jpg

Length: 5"

Height Pipe Head: 1.85"

Dia.: 1.46"

Dia. Chamber: .87"
Hilson Grandluxe 506 Bent

$T2eC16F,!zQE9s3sqJjfBQ8IVhLm!!~~60_12.JPG

LENGTH: 5 1/16"

BOWL height: 1 9/16"

BOWL width max: 1 11/16"

BOWL opening: 3/4"
MM Country Gentlemen Corn Cob

1581972.jpg

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya she's a beauty I'm still waiting on her in the mail but she looks like she'd be a fine smoker.
Reasons I'm asking however is that I read that AK has the tendency to ghost your pipe therefore I would like to try it in one pipe and if I like it I will dedicate that pipe to AK. I was wondering if anyone knew what characteristics in a pipe would bring out the best experience with this blend.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Andrew, for what my opinion's worth, I'd go with the Country Gentleman. If you happen to not like the blend and it seriously ghosts the pipe then you don't have to worry about it as you can always order another cob for $8 or so. For the record, I love my Country Gent, smokes great everytime I pull it out.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
brdavidson Brilliant suggestion my good man, i never considered not liking the blend it just smells so dam good lol
but i think you have a very valid point.
Another question did you remove the filter from your gent because after my first bowl it was clogged up until i realized there was a medico filter in there.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ya I took it out. In all seriousness, my favourite briar and the country gent are 1a and 1b in terms of smokeability. I also love the feel of the Gent. I smoke my Edgeworth out of it and it's just great. I have another one in transit and I'll have to try some aro's in it as I haven't done that yet.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
@brdavidson- I myself im loving the Gent it feels nice in hand and smokes cool.
@flintlockjohn- Thank you this is my whole collection and my rotation so far im very happy with all of them minus the hilson since i haven't tried it yet its on route still. and ill be sure to try without the filter in the cob im sure it will smoke better.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
There he is :clap: lol
Will do ill let you know i already jarred up most of it and i kept a little bag to try it now if i like it ill get more and go back to the jarred portion in the future.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
AK is awesome, enjoying it in a Medico. Have two dedicated to it. The important thing is to really let it dry out, and don’t rub it out too much. Being wet you'll end up with a bunch of dust. Some days it will take 5 or more hours to dry out. If you smoke it wet, it's going to finish to moist and you miss that great finish.
Stocking this bad boy up, have a few pounds in 1 and 5 year jars and will be adding two pounds to them on March first. Will probably start some masons up for the 10 year old ageing.
I think it's time that AK gets an official title. No more H&H AK. ;)
Craig

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ok so I ended up smoking the AK in the Country gent only because my medico was dirty and needed a good cleaning. So I pipe cleaned the cob and loaded it up with AK for my evening stroll with the wife.
First impressions wow this stuff is very mild and I like that especially because I was walking lol. I barely taste the spice from the perique it's there but in a good way. The Virginia is sweet and its not over powering smoke. Very cool the whole time and burned to a nice ash. I can't wait to try this with age on it.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya I see now why most people have this stuff jarred up its not what I expected was quite an interesting smoke I will be getting more once I have the funds to pay the crazy shipping fees from P&C but its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.