Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Which Pipe Should I use to try AK for the First Time(PICS)

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by smokeybear
  • Latest reply from smokeybear
  1. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson "Wicklow" Shape 69.

Medico Varsity Brown Blast

Caminetto

Length: 5"
    Height Pipe Head: 1.85"
    Dia.: 1.46"
    Dia. Chamber: .87"

Hilson Grandluxe 506 Bent

LENGTH: 5 1/16"
    BOWL height: 1 9/16"
    BOWL width max: 1 11/16"
    BOWL opening: 3/4"

MM Country Gentlemen Corn Cob

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please note that all the pics above are of my actual pipes except the country gentlemen i just took that from the net.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

On looks alone, I choose the Hilson.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya she's a beauty I'm still waiting on her in the mail but she looks like she'd be a fine smoker.

Reasons I'm asking however is that I read that AK has the tendency to ghost your pipe therefore I would like to try it in one pipe and if I like it I will dedicate that pipe to AK. I was wondering if anyone knew what characteristics in a pipe would bring out the best experience with this blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

AK?
    I haven't had my coffee yet.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry I thought it was a known abbreviation Anniversary Kate from pipes and cigars

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just smoked the cob for the first time with chocolate mint in it not a bad smokers at all and the blend was great also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rothnh where the heck are you, your expertise is needed here. your usually quick with this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Andrew, for what my opinion's worth, I'd go with the Country Gentleman. If you happen to not like the blend and it seriously ghosts the pipe then you don't have to worry about it as you can always order another cob for $8 or so. For the record, I love my Country Gent, smokes great everytime I pull it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brdavidson Brilliant suggestion my good man, i never considered not liking the blend it just smells so dam good lol

but i think you have a very valid point.

Another question did you remove the filter from your gent because after my first bowl it was clogged up until i realized there was a medico filter in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya I took it out. In all seriousness, my favourite briar and the country gent are 1a and 1b in terms of smokeability. I also love the feel of the Gent. I smoke my Edgeworth out of it and it's just great. I have another one in transit and I'll have to try some aro's in it as I haven't done that yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe collection. I second the motion to try it first in your Country Gentleman. I pull the filters from all of my cobs, and I find them to be very easy and forgiving smokers, so that would allow you to concentrate on the blend. Just my two bits.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@brdavidson- I myself im loving the Gent it feels nice in hand and smokes cool.

@flintlockjohn- Thank you this is my whole collection and my rotation so far im very happy with all of them minus the hilson since i haven't tried it yet its on route still. and ill be sure to try without the filter in the cob im sure it will smoke better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

rothnh where the heck are you, your expertise is needed here. your usually quick with this

Smokey, I'd go with the Medico Varsity, only because it's shape is ideal for Va/Pers.

The Country Gentleman would be OK too, but since you've been smoking at least one heavy aromatic in that recently, I'd pass on that one.

Another thing to mention -- my pound of AK was very moist (some say their AK bulk was not) -- so I'd do the "pinch test" to ensure proper moisture before you load some up to smoke.

Lastly, I don't find that AK ghosts a pipe. OK, the flavor may remain in the bowl a bit for the next blend you pack up in it, but those AK residual flavors disappear after some puffs.

Let us know what you think of the AK (I love it BTW)

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There he is lol

Will do ill let you know i already jarred up most of it and i kept a little bag to try it now if i like it ill get more and go back to the jarred portion in the future.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

AK is awesome, enjoying it in a Medico. Have two dedicated to it. The important thing is to really let it dry out, and don’t rub it out too much. Being wet you'll end up with a bunch of dust. Some days it will take 5 or more hours to dry out. If you smoke it wet, it's going to finish to moist and you miss that great finish.

Stocking this bad boy up, have a few pounds in 1 and 5 year jars and will be adding two pounds to them on March first. Will probably start some masons up for the 10 year old ageing.

I think it's time that AK gets an official title. No more H&H AK.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Craig it was you who got me all curious on the AK I ordered it after reading one of your posts haha I hope it treats me as well as it treats you bud. Can't wait to try it tonight

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok so I ended up smoking the AK in the Country gent only because my medico was dirty and needed a good cleaning. So I pipe cleaned the cob and loaded it up with AK for my evening stroll with the wife.

First impressions wow this stuff is very mild and I like that especially because I was walking lol. I barely taste the spice from the perique it's there but in a good way. The Virginia is sweet and its not over powering smoke. Very cool the whole time and burned to a nice ash. I can't wait to try this with age on it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

AK is quite unique, no other Va/Per like it IMO. I'm pleased you enjoyed it, Smokey!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I only have a few VaPers in the cellar, and this is one of them. I really like it

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya I see now why most people have this stuff jarred up its not what I expected was quite an interesting smoke I will be getting more once I have the funds to pay the crazy shipping fees from P&C but its worth it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   yaddy306, victorybiker, jackni, beefeater33, eightywon, lucky695, pascal, gamxiaoyuan, daimyo, jeepnewbie, dread, dermotfahy, cmdrmcbragg, texmexpipe, frozenchurchwarden, jmatt, rsuninv, trailboss