Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Which Pipe Material If You Had To Choose One

(38 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've played this game with pipe shapes, brands, and blends. How about pipe material if you had to choose one, between briar, cob, Meerschaum, morta, clay, another non-briar wood (which one?), or something else. I've recently been given my first Meerschaum pipe. I guess from habit and tradition, I'd go with briar, with cob a close second, but Meerschaum definitely esteemed. How about you? And why? I have all of the listed materials but morta. My non-briar wood include Mountain Laurel and Cocobolo.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar first with meet second. I think briar is just nicer looking but I also like the carvings done with meet.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar!!..... until Ryan Alden carves Meerschaum.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum. The figurals and the coloring generate another level of interest, and the smoking is as good, or better, than other materials.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

Hands down morta. Smokes drier and cooler than briar, more robust than meer, so whats not to love?

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would choose COB, just because that everything I smoke tastes better in any cob I choose. Whereas briar can be picky with certain blends and I have to search for the right briar pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite is Briar, but I have a Ryan Alden Morta that is fantastic.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. Briar
    2. Meerschaum
    3. Morta
    4. Any other wood
    5. Cob

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

My vote is for Morta. This is as the most important criteria for me is smoking properties and I like drier and pure neutral taste (not altered by the pipe material and not prone to ghosting). Under this criteria it is a race between meer, clay and morta but morta has to edge to be much more sturdier and can be smoked in as well as outside. Briars can be very nice cosmetically but IMO are second class with smoking capabilities particularly as they are not as dry as the others and if we speak cosmetically IMO a floral meer beats hands down any briar.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

I'm fairly ignorant, as I've only owned briar and cobs so I'm very partial to them, so I would go with briar first and cobs second, but I'll agree that different briars dont partially make certain tobaccos shine, but that's the joy of owning a few.

I've smoked a meer a couple times and I liked it enough and I enjoy all the wonderful carvings, but having never owned one I dont have any true experience. As for the rest...well I've never had any other wood nor clay. And I have no idea what morta is. I did have the unfortunate experience of trying a cheap plastic Chinese pipe. But that would be more along the lines of most terrible experiences

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aerogel.
    Wrapped in a few layers of Graphene, and just with a gold foil cap to make the top easy to clean.

You could probably make a 6” Lumberman that weighs less than 10 grams that way, decently long and perfectly clenchable.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[I have no idea what morta is]

Morta, or bog oak, is 5-10k year old partially petrified oak that comes from trees that have fallen into peat bogs. It keeps the frame of the wood but is it mainly made of inorganic substance which is the reason why it behaves much more similar to clay and meers than to briar or other wood materials.
    The main drawback is that it is expensive as it is relatively rare (and 99% of the extracted is not of suitable quality for pipe making) and more difficult to work as it is harder material, so you have to budget at least 200$ for getting a quality one from one of the few trusted carvers which has access to top notch morta and are able to work it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum every time

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. tenton

tenton

Login to Send PM

I'll have to go with what jpmcwjr said.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hands down morta. Smokes drier and cooler than briar, more robust than meer, so whats not to love?

The price.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum every time
    Yes Sir!!! Followed by MM Cob...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The price

Also the finish, have seen only a couple of mortas that looked good to my eye. YMMV.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum without shadow of doubt.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Briar and ebonite.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke briar exclusively.

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The purist in me says Meerschaum for sure; the easygoing side of me says cob every time; the traditionalist must be dominant with briar; and the non-conformist wants those good old hand carved Mountain Laurel pipes. That's why I have way too many pipes. Yet, mostly briar.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my smoking is in briar and I find it to my liking.

The one cob in my rotation does a very nice job with its designated aromatic, so I have no complaints, just limited exposure.

My one morta is an enjoyable smoke, but the walls are so thin it becomes a furnace in no time. I restrict it to burley flakes and ultra slow cadence, most often resorting to having a grip on the long, lovat stem. I would need to try a beefier morta bowl before my rating might rise.

My meerschaum experience to date is a Falcon bowl. It's growing on me but briar is still my go-to.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum for me because it is light and doesn’t ghost easily. Cobs second, Briar third, although most of my pipes are briar.

However, I have a Morta coming later this year and may change my mind once I smoke it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[My one morta is an enjoyable smoke, but the walls are so thin it becomes a furnace in no time.]

My Duca morta has decently ticked walls and does not become a furnace. Yes, it gets hotter than a briar but I can always hold comfortable by the bowl and also it cools down quicker than a briar. I also love Duca morta as aesthetically are very beautiful to me (I agree not all mortas might not be appealing cosmetically) and mechanically drilled perfectly.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Briar, no question.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  26. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Cobs.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 week ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Over the years a few members have named clay pipes as their favorite or exclusive pipe material. They burn hot, but they tend to define blends nicely, not much cake or usually none.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[Over the years a few members have named clay pipes as their favorite or exclusive pipe material. They burn hot, but they tend to define blends nicely, not much cake or usually none.]

Particularly the double walled clay pipes (with the bowl running not as hot as the tavern models) are fantastic. However as the meers have the problem of being fragile.
    I think however how I read the question asked originally (maybe I misinterpreted) was a little bit different, more than what is the best pipe material (in which case I would say clay or meer) what is the best material if you are going to have only 1 pipe and in this case the fragility of clay and meer should be taken as a detrimental factor. Still great pipes and wonderful to smoke.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am an eclectic pipe smoker and I don't wish to restrict myself to one media or material.

I love all of them pipe materials !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  30. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar, smoked exclusively out of the left side of the mouth, stem must be rested on the first molar, relative humidity and precisely 65%, Length 5.5 inches (no exceptions) and weight 28-38 grams. If there is any deviation from this protocol, then you can never call yourself a pipe smoker.

Neal
    Posted 1 week ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar is my passion; however, if I can find a beautiful blast done in strawberrywood, I will knock someone out to buy it first.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  32. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

Briar, but just for aesthetics! I can’t really pull off smoking cobs, although I do very much enjoy them. Briars just fit my style a more. Admittedly, this choice is essentially between three different materials as I’ve never smoked clay, meer, or any other woods than those MM wooden pipes (Pearwood...I think?) and briars.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 week ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

logs

Login to Send PM

No love for gourd?? Granted they're clumsy, but they provide a great smoke and never get hot.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The ember and tobacco is still burning in a meerschaum or porcelain chamber.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forgot about clay. So, revised list:

1. Briar
    2. Meerschaum
    3. Morta
    4. Any other wood
    5. Clay
    6. Cob

Posted 6 days ago #
  36. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats a tough one for me. My ceilings are higher in briars. BUT I think I choose cobs. My baseline is higher in cobs than anything else. I have never had a morta, my 1 meer I own isnt any special smoker. I have good briars and bad briars. SOme briars give me exccelent smokes everytime, some are transcendent occasionally. But cobs are reliable. I like clenching and cobs are light. I smoke a lot when I do projects and have left many pipes outside by accident.

For me cobs are the winner. If I could smoke inside more often, or could smoke in a nice comfy chair and just enjoy it, I may have a different answer.

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 6 days ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

honestly if I could have a magical supply of pipes and not have to worry about wear... I'd go with clay. Clay smokes perfectly. The only problem is how darn fragile it truly is. Though clay smokes so nice and cool even if the bowl will give you a third degree burn. That said if I had to pick I'd go with Briar.

Posted 4 days ago #
  38. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking my answer must involve where I'm smoking and what I'm doing. Usually a briar when driving, walking or chasing wildlife. If I'm safely ensconced in my chair, reading at home, a meerschaum would be my weapon of choice. If I'm fly fishing, working on the tractor, or doing yard work, it must be a disposable cob.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin, oldtoby