Which Pipe Makers Stamped Their Stems With "Hand Cut"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure how desirable most "hand cut" stems are anyway. Both my Ashton and Ferndown stems, while not horrible, are a far cry from the best artisan stems you'll find.
If there's one brand I would bet on having a nice stem for a reasonable price it would be the Cardinal House pipes made by Walt Cannoy.
Briarworks makes a good stem too (I have two of those, they're the only pipes I don't automatically do a bunch of filework on when I get one), though from what I gather those pipes and stems are CNC machined and not "hand cut".

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My issue is that I have a call in from a antique store that I visited about 2 months ago, I told him to give me a call if he had some cool pipes in the store. He does but he cannot send pics because his phone camera is kaput as in he dropped it and shattered the camera lens. The stem is thick and has hand cut on it, it also has a briar or wood dot on the stem. Nothing on the shank but hand made. So I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive only to find they are cheapo pipes not worth the drive to the Walgreens to grab another Cob.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The stem is thick and has hand cut on it, it also has a briar or wood dot on the stem. Nothing on the shank but hand made. So I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive only to find they are cheapo pipes not worth the drive to the Walgreens to grab another Cob.
It's always worth the drive! :D
edit: I didn't see your last (2 hours), see if you can find out anything about the markings on the pipes, or make an offer and haggle... :wink:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That is all he has for me as far as markings. Hand cut on on side of the stem, a wood or briar dot on the other, and hand made on the stummel. Nothing else. No numbers, notta. They could be so worn down that he cannot see them. He is an aged fella. Not that I am a spring chicken.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you don't make the trip out to look them over you will be forever kicking yourself for not doing so.
I would take the trip out...you might just pick up some corkers.
Regards,
Jay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The whole "hand cut" thing is 100% meaningless in and of itself. Stamped or otherwise.
Because all the PipeWorld's best stems ARE made by hand, some marketing-minded companies and carvers like the implied excellence by association, though. That's it.
Here's an example to illustrate.
This is absolutely, positively, no question about it, a "hand cut" stem. Looks light, elegant, and comfortable, right? :mrgreen:
xm2_Zoo_O.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It looks unfinished but I get your point. My query was not to put value on it but to try to attempt to learn what pipe maker they might be attributed to... I do not want to drive to look at a handful of poorly made pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ah.
There's nothing consistent about a "hand cut" stamp from any maker that I've ever seen. Some did it for a while then stopped, others reserved it for certain lines, some just seemed to do it arbitrarily.
I'd see if you can get pics before driving. Such things are rapidly becoming normal.

When it comes to business and love or really any aspect of life that is interesting, there is risk involved. A pipe could be stamped Dunhill but when you get to see it in person it could be a burned out shell of a lakeland smoked POS.
However, if someone refuses to send me a picture, then I just write them off, especially if they start giving me excuses for not sending a picture. If my camera doesn't work (or they happen to not like having a cell phone) sometime within the next 24 hours a dozen people will at some point be around me with a camera in their phone that I could use. My 80 year old neighbor has a cell phone and sends me annoying pictures of blurry birds at her birdfeeder.
But, every opportunity comes with risk. If the risk is worth even a fraction of the adventure, then go. But, there is no reward worth having without the risk of failure.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
He said he will have a new camera tomorrow, or a new phone, and will send photos this weekend. I bid on another one, not very urgently because I did not win, and it has "Hand cut" on the stem. I also do not believe it is a GBD which ultimately was my goal.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I also do not believe it is a GBD which ultimately was my goal."
Aquadoc, I have several GBD pipes of varying age and evident quality yet non has a stem stamped 'Hand Cut'.
Also as George rightly states, most stems are hand cut to some degree and all are hand finished.
Regards,
Jay.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Jay, the pipe in question was beautiful but odd too. It had Prince of Wales stamped on it. The stamping looks like my 3rd grade daughter did it... So while the pipe looked nice, the details were ugly. But, like the pipes being held at the antique store, this one has hand cut on the stem and a wood dot. Let me see if I can find a link.

screenshot_20170512-212836-337x600.png

Status
Not open for further replies.