Which Pease blend has the best room note?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
My vote would be for Haddo's. A little strong, but nice. So, excellent room note with a window cracked to take the edge off, perhaps.
Personally, I like the room note on Meridian, but a nonsmoker or at least a non-lat smoker might be put off. So... Haddo's.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Most of the Pease blends I smoke are Lat heavy. Like Abingdon, Odyssey, Charing Cross, Westminster, etc. Pease is known for his Balkan and English blends. The room notes in these are ... how should I say it ... Heavy.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think you're looking at the wrong blender if you're chasing a room note that will appeal to non-smokers.
Greg blends for pipe smokers. . . and we cannot accurately assess the room note while smoking. (Never mind that it'll likely be thick with the aroma of latakia and hearty orientals!)
Bob

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I actually think Cairo has the best room note. Barbary Coast has an almost traditional aromatic-type aroma and Haddo's is similar. Again, though, my vote goes to Cairo -- it's a strange room note, perhaps even the strangest of anything on the market, but everyone I know who has smelled it has commented on how "nice" it is.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I actually think Cairo has the best room note. Barbary Coast has an almost traditional aromatic-type aroma and Haddo's is similar. Again, though, my vote goes to Cairo -- it's a strange room note, perhaps even the strangest of anything on the market, but everyone I know who has smelled it has commented on how "nice" it is.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can only go on my wife's comments due to heavy smoke and saw dust. But of all the blends she's commented on Haddo's Delight as her favorite.
Craig

My girlfriend LOVES the aroma of Ashbury. I don't usually smoke latakia at all, but this one has a different aroma. I really like it. It has an incense like smell, with spices and something familiar.
Personally, I prefer Laurel Height's aroma, leathery and salty, like a well-chewed baseball glove.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'm surprised to see votes for Cairo. Not because I have experience with that blend, but because I read in a review once that it smells like cigarette smoke.
I think English Chocolate and Haddo's might be on my next order.
Thanks for the input!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Of those that I smoke, I'd say Embarcadero or maybe Fillmore. None of the latakia blends, and probably none of those with dark-fired. I don't have much experience with Barbary Coast or Haddo's, but I'd imagine those'd be fine. Cairo too.

I love Haddos, and I think you'll love it if you like tangy perique. However, I've never thought of it as a great smelling blend. Of course, I can't smell it as well as those around me, but I may have to bring out the Haddos more often while I'm at my workbench if it has a great room note. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.