PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiechitos

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
Hey peeps. I'm having a hard time deciding between two pipes.
I'm a sucker for collectibles so this is quite attractive, the 2012 Peterson X105 Ebony only has a fishtail.
big-x105-peterson-dracula-briar-pipe.jpg

Then there's a Peterson System Pipe with P-lip. It has a larger bowl and I don't have a system pipe (I do have a P-lip and I like it). The system is a few bucks more.
I could be mistaken but I think it's a 314 Standard.
0002554_314-standard.jpeg

For reference my other pipes:
1. Two Peterson churchwardens, one rustic one smooth

2. Peterson 268 Emerald rustic

3. Peterson B8 Sterling Silver Smooth with P-lip

4. Peterson Aran 01 Plain (my only bigger pipe).
Which one would you choose?
Thanks!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Definitely the bent system pipe. Number one, I don't really go in for decorated pipes at all. Number two, I just watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and every time I do I have to resist the urge to buy a Pete system or a Grabow Omega. And also, I don't like decorated pipes. At all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I second the 314. I've seen on forums a couple of times where people reported problems with the stain bubbling up on the outside of the bowl. That alone would scare me off. That, and I like the p-lip and system pipes.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I would try another brand all your pipes are same company factory made. Shel. Variety is more fun

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If I were you, I'd pick one. Have you considered asking the forum for opinions? :)
Being helpful brings me great joy.

pixiechitos

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
A little more expensive for me to import but I have my eye on this Fat Bastard poker. Not sure how it'd smoke with such a short stem but it's 100% handmade,no lathes even.
http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=14142#.V4_HrFdXeK1
http://www.fatbastardpipes.com

May 4, 2015
You obviously like Petersons... but don't yet have a system pipe? That's the obvious choice.
Also, that Dracula pipe is hideous. So that makes it even easier ;)
OR - Poke around and find a vintage Peterson of similar dignity but with a Sterling Silver band.

pixiechitos

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks guys, especially Tom
I do have my grandfather's estate Pete bent system and Savinelli systems but they need SERIOUS professional restoration and even more serious reaming he he.
photo.php

May 4, 2015
Any chance that brownish Pete in the middle is a Meerschaum? I had one of those up until recently, and it sort of looks like one. Those are (sorta) hard to find and really cool pipes.

pixiechitos

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
Nope they're all briars. Not sure about the Manxpipe it's very light colored.
Reckon they're restore able?

May 4, 2015
There's some fellas on here that do nothing-short-of-magic on old pipes.
I'd start a new thread about the restoration project and see if you can get someone to take them on. :)
I'm still not convinced that brown one isn't African Meerschaum. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.