PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am looking to buy a new pipe. I am considering a pipe from one of the following makers, but have no experience from any of them. Can anybody here who has owned / smoked one of these offer an honest opinion?

1. Premal Chheda

2. Jesse Jones (who is no longer with Premal, BTW)

3. Tom Spanu

4. Pipa Croci

5. Ardor

6. Moretti

7. Il Ceppo

8. Radice

I have unintentionally started an Italian collection. I guess I must like them because I seem to choose them most often. I have pipes from Castello, Caminetto, Ascorti, Mastro Beraldi, Lorenzo, Savinelli. Premal and Jones, though not Italian, are local and either would commission one for me. The Chheda and Jesse Jones pipes would be new, the others would have to be estates, possibly unsmoked, but still estates.Any thoughts?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You can't go wrong with a Chheda pipe. I've not owned any of the others.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have unintentionally started an Italian collection.
Pay attention to what you do, not what you think you should do. If it turns out you like Italian pipes, I'd collect those.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Hmmmmmmmm... I'd recommend getting one of each!! Then you can do a comparative study, and see which direction you really want to go from there! And VOILA!! Instant collection!! Win-win all around!!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Deathmetal - Great advice. The problems are that I know Premal and Jesse and I KNOW the exacting engineering they put into a pipe AND they will make a pipe, any pipe, that I want. I don't know the engineering of the others since I have no experience with them. They do, however, fit into my fledgling collection. Hence my conundrum.
Jerwynn - LMBO! If I did that, the cost of both the pipes and the ensuing divorce would be a bit prohibitive!
I guess I am looking for people who know the other makers and can tell me if they are made to the Chheda / Jones standards. I've watched them make pipes and have spoken to them in depth about them. I know WHY they smoke so well. What I don't know is how the others compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.