PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbobaggins

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Hello. I am looking to buy a new pipe that really captures the feel of Middle Earth. In my search, I have come across Vauen's "Auenland" (The Shire) Series of pipes which have been made to follow the success of their Lord of the Rings series from the early 2000's. I very much like the smooth "Hugg" pipe, but I am not quite certain that it is the one I will choose. It has proven a hard decision for me, so I thought I would seek the council of this fine community. From the picture below, which of the 6 options would you choose if you were looking for a good Middle Earth-style pipe, and why? Thank you kindly in advance.
auenland-vauen.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi bilbo. Welcome to the forums.
Thanks for posting, I hope you'll find the pipe you like and post here as to how it smokes.
Given my choice of the pipes above I too would go for the Hugg, but I like the blasted version. The bend on the Hugg is a nice bend for sitting in a deep chair, and allows for a comfortable hold on the bowl. I also like the colours of the stain on the Hugg. I think the blasted version has a look and feel that lends itself to the character of ME in a way that a smooth finish speaks to me of cities and towns... the smooth is more Elflike, and I'm definitely of the race of Men.
-- Pat

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the PM.com forums, Bilbo. :clap: You'll never want for a opinion here! :lol:
I like the pointy heel of the Gilg -- and sandblasted for the same reasons as Pruss.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
The art.- NRA. Hug.
Nice church wardens if that is your thing. These days I lean more to the pocket/nose warmer kind of pipes. I have one mini church warden but it doesn't see much use these days.

Jan 8, 2013
With this pipe forum community, I think you're likely to get an equal number for each and every one of those pipes. Tastes are all over the board here :)
I personally would go for the smooth hugg, although the blasted is nice too. I'm not normally into blasted pipes but every once in a while I see one I'd like. My second choice would be the smooth gilg... maybe. I admit I like the Friddo's too. Oh crud.... I can't make up my mind! Ok smooth hugg is what I would purchase before any others.
Now I have to ask, where can I order one of those? I really really really want one now. :)

bilbobaggins

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you to everyone who has posted their opinions so far, and a very big thank you for the warm welcome that I had a feeling I would get here ;)
As it stands, my choice is leaning a little more slightly than before towards the smooth Hugg. This is mostly because of Pruss' input that it looks more "Elflike" than its counterparts. It does look like something and Elf would smoke out of, if ever an Elf were to smoke a pipe :) Yes, I know we are but mortal men, but the Elves are in my opinion the most enthralling race in our beloved Middle Earth, and beings who I would give each and every one of my worldly possessions to meet if the opportunity ever arose.
So, because Elves do not generally seem to part take in the act of pipe-smoking, I do not think this would be the pipe of an Elf, but the pipe of an Elf-friend, because of its eye-catching beauty, and a fairness that I have seldom seen among pipes of its kind.
Though now swayed farther from neutrality, my final decision remains open for debate, and I look forward to more input from the community.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, friend, let's whittle this down logically: i.e., a pipe that would have been made in the quasi-medieval world of Middle Earth. Sandblasting is out, since sandblasting wouldn't have existed in the world of Middle Earth. The apple shaped bowls on some of the other pipes seem equally unlikely for the same reason. That leaves the single, polished Hugg Glatt, which is long, polished by sanding (which of course was done in the medieval world) and has the long stem. Also, it has the earthy wood tone finish making it appropriate for Middle Earth. But ultimately, of course, you have to go with the pipe that you feel comfortable with. Let us know what decision you make!

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I'm not really into churchwardens, but for me the Hugg smooth looks like a comfortable easy chair smoke.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I like the shape of the Gilg but prefer the way the stem is on the Hug. Sorry, but I can't decide between the too. I would have to hold them first.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I guess if we are trying apply the possiblities of Middle Earth, don't limit yourself to only smooth. Remember that magic is a important part. Surely there is a sandblasting spell of some sort to allow for any of the textures not just smooth. Or there are other manual ways that a sandblasted or rusticated texture can be accomplished. So just get the one you like, find the one that gives you some kind of plesant guteral reaction when you look at it, if that makes sense.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Also, if you're really interested in LoTR pipes you may want to check out the book "Pipe Smoking in Middle Earth". There is quite an in-depth analysis on the books and Tolkien-lore that basically states that the pipes smoked in the books are not actually churchwardens, as depicted in the movies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Friddo smooth Glatt would be my choice.
Am I the only one that hasn't watched any of the Lord of the Rings series?

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I have to agree with the others the choose the Hugg, and it seems like it would be really comfy to sit and hold. If it wasn't available I would probably go with the Gilg then, but I would prefer it in the Hugg smooth finish and not green (nothing wrong with it), just doesn't seem middle earth really. Good luck in your adventures Bilbo.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Hugg smooth would be my first choice. For all and any of the reasons stated above. . .

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
I too like the Gilg, but I've never smoked a Vauen. Hard to say unless it was in my hands which one would be the "right" choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.