Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Is Your Favorite Cigar Brand?

(61 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by Machado
  • Latest reply from danimalia
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

First of all I haven't tasted that many. I'm no conoisseur. But I was in love with cigars for some time.

Continuing, my favorite cigar brand of all times is Montecristo. It's so great that you can celebrate many occasions smoking it. It's fucking special.

My favourite national (Brazilian) cigar brand is the most traditional and internationally recognized one, Dannemann. Robustos, Panatelas (which are being extincted unfortunately) etc. In europe they have a enormous variety of cigars of this brand. It's marketing is more intended to the international audience. Here are some:

I also like Cohiba (of course), and like some others but they don't rank amongst my favorites.

Now post yours!

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I knew you were a cigar guy. I was going to suggest cigars since you seemed to be hitting a lot of speed bumps in the pipe world. You can even smoke a cigar in a pipe if you can't choose...

Posted 9 months ago #
  3. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

lol I won't be quitting pipes, thoses are nice challenges...

Once I get my Savinelli and my lighter, things will get better!

But I am curious now... How do you smoke a cigar in a pipe?

Posted 9 months ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trinidad, Cohiba and Partagas among Cuban cigars. Tatuaje and Padron among non Cuban.

Posted 9 months ago #
  5. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

@hoosierpipeguy no love for Montecristos?

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MonteCristo is fine. Just not as flavorful to me as the brands I mentioned. More importantly, I found Montevideo to be rather inconsistent.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not much of cigar guy here. I started with Hav'a'Tampa, those little cigars with wooden bits. I was a student; they were cheap; and they fit the break time i had to work with, so though they were a basic cigar, they met my needs. When I'd smoke the occasional cigar on business travel, I liked Dominicans in general and more than the Cubans I encountered. Sweeter, fuller bodied, better produced.

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I go for smaller Cuban cigars . Partagas , Romeo Juliet . I know cohibas too , but they tend to get oily and thick about halfway .

There was one my buddy picked up last visit to Cuba , he asked his cab driver when they were in Havana , so he knew a guy who knew a guy and he picked up some ..ahem.. factory seconds which somehow got lost ... .. sheeeesh ... cough ...

Best damn cigars ever , smallish , yellow wooden box , gov label , other than that I can't recall the name ..

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 9 months ago #
  9. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not going to list Cubans or Fuente since they are the cream de la cream imo

Of the other cigars, I can make a case for Tattoo Pete's company. Dude knows how to blend. If you like Cubans, you will love Tatuaje. The smaller ring gauges (noellas) are beyond special and not crazy expensive. I will put them up against a Cuban Monte Cristo, Partagas or Upman any day of the week.

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Don't really smoke cigars much anymore, but my favorites were the Hoyo de Monterrey double coronas and the La Flor de Cano Rothschilds (which are no longer being made). Late 20th century Cuban, when they were still good.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love GTOs, especially their anesthesia line. But, my absolute favorite is the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cures. And, every now and then I will splurge with an Estaban Chupracabre, the little brown one will smack you with flavors and strength.

Michael
    Posted 9 months ago #
  12. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im a Cameroon guy so I love the Fuente Don Carlos line. Partagas always scratches that itch too.

Ive had a few non-cameroon wrapped stogies in the past couple months that were quite good but now I cant recall what they were!

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 9 months ago #
  13. groovediggerdan

groovediggerdan

Login to Send PM

HdM Excalibur is my usual go to, but man I love Padrons. Just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a box. Honorable mention: La Gloria Cubana, but as of late they've had construction issues, IMO.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    Posted 9 months ago #
  14. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So many good cigars and if you add Cubans to the mix the list is way too long.

Posted 9 months ago #
  15. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Oliva Reserves are my preferred brand when I decide to smoke a cigar. I dont think I have any left in my humidor though, I just prefer my pipe.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  16. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DP Garcia's "My Fathers" line is also excellent. Their cedar longsdale is a fantastic smoke.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Mine's a little firecracker. Man O' War Puro Authentico. It's a corona that was AJ Fernandez' personal cigar that became part of the Man O' War brand. Very bold. Of course, I would never refuse an Oliva Serie V.

Russ

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I rarely smoke cigars anymore, but when I did I had many favorites. But the one I seemed to go for the most was Rocky Patel's The Edge with the Connecticut wrapper. I like the Fuente Hemingways too, as well as the Padron 1926.

I did like a Montecristo from time to time.

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

If you guys are from Europe, don't hesitate to buy Dannemanns.

I don't know if they're steadily avaiable in the USA, but most things are steadily avaiable in the USA, so...

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine's a little firecracker. Man O' War Puro Authentico.
    Home Run for Russ!!! Love those little coronas...

"the weez"...
    Posted 9 months ago #
  21. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Rocky Patel, in particular the blue band one, I think it’s 2003 Cameroon.

Posted 9 months ago #
  22. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

But I am curious now... How do you smoke a cigar in a pipe?

Javan
    Posted 8 months ago #
  23. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many to list but 2 of my favorite sticks are:

Alec Bradley Prensado

Flor de Las Antillas (which is part of the Don Pepin Garcia My Father line mentioned above)

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

So many good ones listed above, personal legal favorites are Hemingway Short Story, just about anything by "Tattoo Pete" and Padron Anniversary series.

Of the Cubans I've smoked, the one that stands out the most was Diplomaticos torpedo - the best cigar I ever had.

Another favorite is way long out of production: Pelo de Oro. Don't remember who made it, but it was a sweet, oily flavor bomb. Think OpusX with more brown sugar overtones.

Lastly, IMHO cigars must be smoked either indoors or on a very still, humid summer day in the shade. Any amount of breeze takes from the taste and can affect the burn. Wife doesn't care if I smoke cigars, but my dog does not like the "stinky sticks" and will growl at me when I bring one home.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

If you guys are from Europe, don't hesitate to buy Dannemanns.

I don't know if they're steadily avaiable in the USA, but most things are steadily avaiable in the USA, so...

I haven't seen Dannemann in the US for about a dozen years or more. I always liked the ones with a Brazilian wrapper.

Russ

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Griffin's made by Davidoff. The Griffin's brand is an offshoot of Davidoff for those that can't afford to smoke Davidoff cigars like me! They've stayed incredibly consistent over the years whereas other brands fluctuate in quality, and you can get them from various websites for around $6.50 each when you buy a box; in a cigar store they'll run somewhere between $11 and $15 after tax. They burn very evenly, the filler and binders are top quality Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper, and they taste and smell soooo good! The only real complaint I've heard from smokers of other brands is that they are on the medium to mild side, and not as robust as those that use a darker leaf. But frankly, I'm not really into all that bite, and I french inhale sometimes to get the true taste of the smoke, and doing that with a more robust cigar sometimes bites too much in your airway. Just one piece of advice if you try one, plug cut the end. The way the binder is arranged in this cigar, other cuts allow too much air through with each draw, but a plug cut restricts the airflow a little allowing for a nice draw and more even burn.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I don't have a very discerning cigar palate, because I've enjoyed every decent-quality, long-filler Maduro I've ever tried. Padron is probably my favorite for actual brand, though. I don't much care for anything that doesn't have a Maduro wrapper.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  28. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Padron

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm an outlier. I rarely smoke cigars, and when I do it is typically a Punch Champion EMS, or the Champion Rare Corojo when available.

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I had to buy by brand, I'd probably buy a Cohiba, but anything from the Dominican Republic would draw my eye. I like to shop in a humidor and see the size, color, and freshness. Nowadays, I usually get attracted to a tin of pipe tobacco before I make it to the humidor. I'm more drawn to the pipe smoking guys than the cigar guys, for whatever reasons. I always think of college men at the horse track smoking cigars pretending they're famous mobsters.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I'm really liking the Sin Compromiso made by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust company.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like cigar leaf by itself or mixed in with another blend in a pipe. It's not a cigar experience at all, and isn't supposed to be, but some pipe blends make excellent use of cigar leaf as a condiment. C&D's Billy Budd is just one of numerous examples. Cigar leaf is quite pleasant as a single leaf in a pipe too.

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oliva, Montecristo, Padilla, Joya De Nicaragua, Ramon Bueso, and H. Upmann

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was into cigars my favorite Cubans were Partagas, H Upmann, Cohiba and Trinidad. For non Cubans Padron Anniversary Maduro Exclusivo and Pyramids. For a first of the day mild smoke I enjoyed Diamond Crown # 6 and Ashton Cabinet Churchills.

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

H. Upmann if I had to choose. The Number 2's are a particular favorite. I never turn my nose up to a Sir Winston Gran. I won't buy them but, any gifted are smoked reverently.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

username

Login to Send PM

romeo y julieta.

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren, H. Upmann Lonsdales and Coronas were two of my favorites. It was a shame when they discontinued both of them. I was also a big fan of #2's and Sir Winstons.

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

La Glorias & Rocky's.
    My taste buds aren't distinguished enough to warrant the premium for Cubans.

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

Great choices! My go-to cigar for a while was Nat Sherman “Timeless”. The Romacraft “Cromagnon” line is another favourite. Since I started smoking my pipes I’ve definitely been smoking way less cigars.

Posted 7 months ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeffya2

Login to Send PM

Cohiba Siglo V

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When my father passed away I "inherited" roughly 300 cigars. That was a little over 3 years ago and now there approximately 297. He had six different ring sizes and three different lengths. It's a pain in the ass to maintain the humidor, but it's been a labor of love.

The dude at Havana Cigar here in Vegas has been extremely helpful in educating me and giving fantastic guidance in their maintenance.

He also mentioned they were absolutely worth maintaining (I almost just tossed them, I'm not a cigar guy) and also telling me I'm sitting on cigars valued at approximately $20-25 per.

Don't know enough to have a favorite, but the super dark "anniversary" ones are extremely tasty.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  42. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your father undoubtedly left you with a some treasures in that collection. Work your way through them at your own pace with fond memories.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, I absolutely intend to smoke every one of them. It's going to take a while, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't get into them very often but I enjoy these

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

Warped has recently moved to the top of my favorites list, specifically the La Colmena Reina. Caldwell, Davidoff, Padron, Tatuaje, DTT, Byron Nelson and Atabey all have a place on my list of favorites as well.

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  46. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I haven't had a cigar in quite some time, but, my all time favorite is Arturo Fuente. In particular, the Hemingway Untold Story and Classic. Partagas, H. Upman, and Montecristo also made regular appearances in my humidor.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 7 months ago #
  47. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

Favorite has to be a well aged Cuban Partagas Lonsdale. Next would be their Corona.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

La Flor de Cano short Churchill Robusto - Great cigar, but haven't been made in 25 years.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. rogers

rogers

Login to Send PM

Padron natural 2000 robusto and Churchill. Been smoking 'em for 10 years now, haven't had a bad one yet, *knock on wood.

Posted 3 months ago #
  50. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

I am a Perdomo guy.

Posted 3 months ago #
  51. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Another Padron fan here.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  52. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alec Bradley and Arturo Fuente are my favorites

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

Partagas (Serie D Nº 4) and Sancho panza (belicosos). I only smoke cigars when smoking a pipe is not practical. I never smoke them at home. When on the go, Toscanos, specially the antico are a great change of pace, and a cheap one too!. There is a machine made Cuban, JL Piedra which is available in Spain, with an excellent quality-price combo. I used to love the hand made cigars I bought from a roller in La Palma, a small island in the Canary Islands where I lived for two years.

Posted 3 months ago #
  54. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

So many.

Punch Rojo, LADC Rothschild, Perdomo Barrel Aged Sun Grown Epicure, Camacho Triple Maduro, LGC Wavell Natural wrapper, Oliva O, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero, Fuente Opus X Lost City... I could go on.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  55. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I rarely ever smoke cigars anymore. But, I used to smoke them daily at one time. A couple of my favorites turned out to be rather inexpensive. But, excellent cigars. Montesino Maduro (bundled) and made by Arturo Fuete was one of them. I don't think they're made anymore.

My favorite was El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Maduro. That was my "Nightcap" of the cigar world.

Posted 3 months ago #
  56. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I'll fire this one up again for the cause! All time favorite has to be Padron (Particularly 64 anniversary maduros, or milleniums if you're a goddamn billionaire). Other favorites include AVO, Oliva Serie G maduro and Serie V, damn near anything made by Don Pepin, Drew estate java maduros, La Gloria Cubana anything, and Tatuaje.

And If were talking Cubans I'd have to go with Ramone Allones Specially Selected, Trinidad Fundadores, and Bolivar Belicoso

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  57. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

I am a big fan of Perdomo. I really enjoy their Factory Tour Sungrown and their 12 year double-aged Connecticut. Padron, My Father, and Opus X are in a league of their own, but far too expensive for regular enjoyment.

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

ronthewineguy

Login to Send PM

If it's not too late, my all time favs are Avo's. I was devastated when they discontinued the #2 Maduro. I've also enjoyed Ashton VSG and on REAL special occasions, Padrons.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  60. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

My favorite Cigar Brands:

Cuban: Bolivar or H. Upmann. Montecristo at its best would be up there, but they can be a bit too hit and miss for me.
    Dominican: Fuente or LFD
    Nicaraguan: Oliva or Illusione

Way too many great cigarmakers to choose just one.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  61. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Weezell, Toscano-style cigars are awesome. Cheap, flavorful, and strong as hell. I've been meaning to try that C&D Sanselpocro or whatever it's called that uses the Italian dark-fired. I understand there are also Italian pouch tobaccos that are 100% Italian dark-fired leaf

Posted 2 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow, cshubhra