Which Is the Strongest Type of Tobacco Nicotine-Wise?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've heard it's burley but people talk a lot about "latakia bombs", so which would be stronger after all: pure burley or pure latakia (I think blends of pure latakia don't exist, but anyway...)?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
As far as I'm aware Latakia bombs are called that because they contain a lot of Latakia. It has nothing to do with nicotine. I don't think Latakia is particularly strong in the nic department.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brown rope and Indonesian Tambolaka, once sold by 4noggins, are among the stronger blends for nicotine. Various others have a pretty good jolt including Five Brothers, C&D Big 'n Burley, and other C&D burley blends (check the strength ratings). I don't buy for a nicotine high, but I've encountered it. Latakia isn't a nicotine-rich leaf, I don't think.

Not all burleys are strong with nicotine. In fact, most burley blends are probably weaker than the lightest Virginias, like that Burley Flake by MacBarens and their Golden Extra. I put those in the lightweight camp. Whereas those dark Virginias from Africa and the far reaches of the British Empire are stronger than most burleys.
A lot of people lump all Virginias into the light nicotine camp, and burleys into the strong tobacco camp, but that is just not true. Once, I get midstalk on curing my Virginias that I grow, they will whoop up on ya. And, C&D seem to use some midstalk Virginias in the Virginia Flake.
Generalizations just don't work in the real world. They seem to suffice with some of the more popular blends though... to a degree.
Latbombs have nothing to do with strength. And, latakia is not a strong tobacco, just strong flavor.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'd say take a look at ropes, twists, plugs, cakes, and the like. A lot of them have a little higher nicotine. Virginias, Turkish and Orientals usually have higher sugar concentrations with lower nicotine than others. Fire cured, air cured and pressed and slightly fermented tobaccos have less sugar and more nicotine, usually. If you're looking for higher nicotine blends and you can search Smoking Pipes, there tobacco locator tool is priceless. It will allow you to search for the blends based on strength alone, if you choose.
As Cosmic stated above, not all of them can be pigeon-holed into one strength or another. Some Virginias are weak, some are strong, same for burleys.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Since two of you mentioned rope tobacco and there is a lot of indigenous rope tobacco available at a very cheap price around here, I'm definitely going to get some of this.
My friend started smoking it and is liking it a lot (despite him being more of a marijuana smoker).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start out with a partial bowl, or a small-bowled pipe, Group 1 or 2. That air-cured indigenous tobacco can be super high nicotine, so get its measure before you pack a great big bowl of it, and start with a substantial meal and plenty of water in your system. 'Could be mild, but probably not.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Latbombs have nothing to do with strength. And, latakia is not a strong tobacco, just strong flavor.
Thanks for the info. Lots of misinformation being spread... I've once heard "latakia is so strong that if you smoke it you must go to sleep afterwards", in a Brazilian pipe forum.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'd start out with a partial bowl, or a small-bowled pipe, Group 1 or 2. That air-cured indigenous tobacco can be super high nicotine, so get its measure before you pack a great big bowl of it, and start with a substantial meal and plenty of water in your system. 'Could be mild, but probably not.
Do you have experiences with indigenous rope tobacco? Do they make it / sell it in the USA (assuming you're from there)?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
For me the high-nic blends are an occasional treat, for when I have the time to sit down and relax, preferably with an alcoholic beverage. A nic hit is not very pleasant if you are supposed to be doing something.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pipes: Cotton Boll, an American Twist - A step up from English Rope

Cigars, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero - A step up from Cotton Boll. Your stomach will let you know when you're going to heave, and you ought seriously consider putting the cigar down NOW.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I bought a tin of Sam Gawith brown rope once. Upon popping the top, it looked like something my dog left for me in the yard.
While it tasted very good (the tobacco rope that is), by the time I established a good light and cadence my head was spinning and I had to put the pipe down. Way more nicotine than I'm comfortable with, but your mileage may vary.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A true smoker only needs enough nicotine in the tobacco to keep the "shakes" at bay and maintain a sociable attitude amongst one's co-workers. Anything more than that is a waste in my opinion. Too much is better than too little though.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Not looking really for the nicotine bombs, since Irish Flake knocked me down. It was more of a curiosity question.
But I think those are good to blend with milder tobaccos, as I find the mixture interesting and tasty.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A true smoker only needs enough nicotine in the tobacco to keep the "shakes" at bay and maintain a sociable attitude amongst one's co-workers. . . Too much is better than too little though.
I suppose nicotine withdrawal can be as uncomfortable as being hungover from alcohol. Pretty spiffy to read that extension. I never experienced this, but I damn well wanted that first smoke of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.