PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've just noticed that one off the online retailers I use here in the UK has started stocking a few G L Pease blends. As I've read so many good things about them I want to give them a try.
I like Dunhill Flake, University Flake, mild aromatics and English blends that don't go too heavy on the Latakia. With that in mind, which of the following would you recommend? As they work out at $24.82 for 2oz, I need to choose carefully!
The blends currently available are;

Jack Knife Plug - Lagonda - Union Square - Blackpoint - Chelsea Morning.
Cheers :puffy:

opps - spelling corrected

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I figure if I do, and like them, they'll go out of production
Then, please, don't try Jack Knife Plug. I need that to stay around!
Isn't it funny how something I had never heard of at this point last year is now something I don't want to have to do without?
I like Dunhill Flake, University Flake, mild aromatics and English blends that don't go too heavy on the Latakia. With that in mind, which of the following would you recommend?
You can try the Jack Knife. It's really something. The DH and Uni flakes aren't as strong in the nic or flavor departments, so you might want to be careful.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I quite like a good dose of nic. I like Irish Flake, but found 1792 a little too much. I might have to give that a they with my next order.
Cheers :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am still on the fence with JackKnife Plug, it has potential but needs age for rounding it out. It can be harsh and it is strong. It may be I have not found the right pipe yet. I have only smoked it 4 times so it is not a true test just yet. If I have not figured it out by the 12th bowl or so, I never will. My next test will be in a group 4 Dublin that I also use for FVF which is also a finicky mistress.
Union Square is another one I put away to try again later as it did not float my boat right out of the gate. Now GL Pease Navigator I loved in the first bowl, so go figure. If you can ever get your hands on Haddo's Delight, grab it. That is a perique bomb that is great smoking from the get go.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Blackpoint is good. It's like a better tasting Dunhill Nightcap that's lower in nicotine, in my opinion. One blend that you didn't list but one that should be pretty commonly available is Lombard. It's probably my favorite Virginia centric Pease blend (Odyssey is my favorite Pease overall, but that's a lat bomb which you said you didn't want).

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ cigarmaster: I totally agree with you on JackKnife Plug. I want to love it but I feel it needs more age or just the right pipe because when its good its phenomenal, but most times it turns sharp and harsh.
If you are a nic fan and a Va/per fan you should try Stratford, Haddos Delight and Telegraph Hill. Everything Greg puts out is top notch. I could spend the rest of my days smoking only his English blends and die a happy man.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ohin,
@ cigarmaster: I totally agree with you on JackKnife Plug. I want to love it but I feel it needs more age or just the right pipe because when its good its phenomenal, but most times it turns sharp and harsh.
I want so bad to figure this one out so I can load up on it but am afraid still. I keep wondering if age will really round it out into what could be a real classic. There are times when I am smoking it that it begins to sing and then bang it will go harsh on me. I bought my tin on 9/11/12 so I figured that at the 6 month mark I would really hit it hard to see what 6 months has done for it. I am going to smoke it everyday for a week or more in different pipes after the 11th and should be able to figure it out after that.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm a fan of Lagonda. Not at all overpowering, it's a medium latakia blend with some nice flavors.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I smoked English blends GL Pease was my go to mfg. I smoked a number of them and if memory serves none required much aging at all and were great right out of the tin. Ravens Wing, Odyssey,Caravana,Robusto, Cairo( oriental blend really)and Two Friends Deacons Downfall were my favorites. I don't think anyone does English blends better than Greg. I wish I had not lost my taste for Latakia.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Agree with others about Union Square and Jackknife. Lagonda, to me, is a heavy, velvety Latakia blend (I didn't like it). I haven't tried Blackpoint, but Chelsea Morning is a great, complex English blend. Not too heavy on the Latakia, but not a "light" English, either. As GLP would say, it's got legs.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I also had a tough time with a young plug of Jack Knife. The fellows here convinced me to jar it up and wait a year. Maybe another of the blends would be a safer bet.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've got a Peterson system pipe that I use exclusively to smoke Jack Knife plug. It is the only pipe that I found that let me enjoy it without the harsh flavors that were mentioned in previous posts. Until I stumbled on to that combo, I was going to chalk it up to a mistake for my tastes and wasn't going to buy any more. Now, I've got about 10 tins put away for a future smoking experience.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I enjoy Triple Play. I have only tried it as well as Maltese Falcon, which, if you like english blends, is in a class all its own IMO. But I, along with cigarmaster have somewhat lost my taste for latakia. It is a seldom smoke for me now.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you all for the feedback on the blends. It's the first time I've seen any GL P blends here in England. I might have to invest in a couple of tins of Jack Knife for my old age :)

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
I can second the Chelsea Morning rec. I smoke it everyday. It's like having a barbecue in your mouth, with just a dash of citrus. I've heard lots of good things about Jack Knife, and I'm sure you by now have, too. Blackpoint is interesting as well. I haven't tried Lagonda or Union Square, so I can't comment on those.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Based on the one's you've listed and that you're looking for one that's not too heavy on the latakia, I would recommend Blackpoint. I like English blends that are easy on the latakia and found Blackpoint fit that bill nicely.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The only 2 I've tried were the 2 mentioned by Harris. Haddo's Delight and Navigator. Both are pretty darn good.
I need to start trying their English/Balkan blends.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Im assuming you mean G****leys as they are the only uk distributer. Just 2 weeks ago I got some GLP Sextant off of them and I would very highly recommend it. Its a flake, somewhere between a navy and English. I know it wasn't on your list but it may be worth asking judging by your list of preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.