PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I have tried all but Across the Pond.
And I have to say my favorite is a tie between Cellar and On the Bayou. Depending on how I feel.
If I had to buy only one of them...I guess it would be On the Bayou!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I too enjoy and smoke all the Frogs. Picking one I'd have to go with Cellar. I smoke more Cellar than anything else.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Haven't dipped into my FM cellar yet, but On The Bayou has been a favorite of mine. As far as frogs are concerned.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
joey:
Since we all have different palates, "best" is pretty much meaningless. Start with the original, so you can become familiar with the Frog Morton profile. It's quite unlike any other latakia-based blends that I've tried. It is the belief of reviewer extraordinaire William Serad -- and I absolutely agree with him on this -- that the latakia in the Frog series has been treated as a cavendish -- that is, lightly sweetened/flavored. It gives all of these blends a unique flavor profile. They are fully English in design, with an aromatic element that really sets them apart.
My favorite seems to no longer exist -- at least, not as it once did. It's Frog Morton Across the Pond, which used to contain Syrian latakia; the current tins do not mention Syrian anymore. But I also highly recommend Frog Morton on the Town, which combines Cypriot latakia with Basma to develop a very subtle vanilla quality. It reminded me of Samuel Gawith's Perfection, but it was a smoother and more, well, refined blend. (Perfection adds vanilla to the blend, whereas a sense of vanilla seems to be the natural result of the cavendished latakia and the sweet Basma in FMOTT.)
To be honest, I have yet to try the original Frog Morton, so I can't comment on its merits specifically. I have an 11-year-old tin in the cellar I should probably get to sooner rather than later, though. Thanks for the reminder!
Bob

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I've only tried Cellar and On The Bayou, but On The Bayou is the one for me. They have a similar base flavor but I prefer the Perique addition to the whiskey stave aging. They are both pretty good though.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I tried original first, and loved it. I have since tried on the bayou, cellar and town and found that none of them improved on the original in my opinion. I also found they were too similar to be worth keeping more than the one in rotation. Before i tried it i was really, really, hoping to like it since my surname is Morton, so there is potential bias there, but i think it really is good stuff.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I've only tried the original and Cellar. I don't get much of the whiskey flavor from Cellar. So I'd probably go with the original.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
This is like asking do you like your steak medium or medium well. Like anything that pertains to taste it comes down to personal preference. Buy them, smoke them, and enjoy them. If you don't then trade it away.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
I've only tried the "cellar" version. And I vey much so recommend it. :puffy:
cd56f8d8-e951-4629-a364-900e63f3e5a5_zpsc8ca4c6c.jpg
[/url][/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.