Which Do You Pick First? Pipe or Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Just curious. I was staring into my ibrik this morning and thinking about rituals. My mind wandered to smoking and I found myself realizing I picked out which pipe I wanted to smoke out more often then which tobacco I wanted to smoke.
This is odd for me since I tend to be more focused on tobaccos generally so you'd think I'd lean towards grabbing a tobacco first, but I realized I don't. Struck me as odd.
So now I'm wondering what you fellas do when your ready to smoke? Pipe first or tobacco?
(An aside. I haven't smoked in 5 days. Took a bit of a self imposed break to refocus. I'm planning on enjoying a bowl when we go out for an egg hunt this afternoon.)

madmick

Lurker
Oct 31, 2012
Ahhhh choices, choices. For me, I most often choose the tobacco I’m in the mood for at that time. That way I can make the best pipe choice for the blend for a good smoke. There has been a time or two that I will grab a pipe I have not smoked in a while and give it a go. The only issue I have with the pipe first idea is that I might not be in the mood for that particular tobacco. Its all a personal choice my friend.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am not consistent on this point.
Sometimes I'll grab a pipe I want to smoke, i.e., one that's well rested, then choose a tobacco to fit the pipe. however, sometimes I will change my mind and may have to re-think the pipe I picked out.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I have more pipes than tobacco. I don't like having alot of open tins so my rotation is usually two latakia blends and one cavendish type. Most of my pipes are dedicated to latakia. So I usually pick the pipe and one of the two Englishes I'm smoking at the time goes in it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a firm pipe rotation, so I take the pipes that are up for the day (I am a one bowl and then put it up until next time guy) and then pick the blends I will smoke.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I think I'm a 50/50 sort of guy on this one. Sometimes I pick a pipe and sometimes the tobacco. The exception is the first pipe of the day. Recently I've become a big fan of starting the day (the first thing I do is light up) with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It really does wake up the taste buds and makes the mouth water.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I work a lot. I make a lot of decisions every day. The idea of a system of some sort appeals to me as a break from having to decide each time I go to smoke. I think I like Jud's firm pipe rotation system. But then, what tobacco? Damn! Another decision! :twisted:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
My pipe rotation isn't overly strict -- I just make sure any pipe gets a two-day rest or more (unless I'm travelling, then I usually just take two pipes and alternate).
So then for me it's almost always tobacco that's chosen first. Then, except where I have a certain pipe dedicated to that tobacco (I have one reserved for Periques and another that gets the rare aro) I choose from the available pipes based on how long a smoke I want, whether a certain pipe is best suited to the tobacco type, whether I'm working/typing and want a hanger, etc etc plus my mood.

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
The chicken or the egg, right? I'd say I think of tobacco first, simply be because I'm more often buying tobacco than purchasing pipes.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I only have three pipes, and about 10 tobaccos, 7 Virginia's and 3 orientals. Not a hard decision. Pick the tobacco, one of the two pipes go with it. Voila!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Tobacco, only exception is if it's a new pipe that I want to try then I have to figure out what would best suit it...

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I always first determine which tobacco that I am going to smoke and then select the pipe that I have dedicated to that blend. Since I only smoke two varieties of tobacco, Virginia and English blends with semi high in latakia and oriental, it is easy to select my pipe since I have about half a dozen pipes dedicated to Virginia tobacco and the rest to English blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a specific breakfast pipe, so at that time tobacco is secondary.

Otherwise it's tobacco first, dictated by my appetite. Then I choose the pipe I think would work best with it.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I usually pick a tobacco then pick the pipe based on the tobacco. This would make a great poll.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Tobacco first and then pipe. Recently though I've only been smoking MacB ODF and GLP Ashbury. I have three VA pipes and three English pipes so the decision isn't too difficult

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Hmmmm. Great question. I always pick the pipe first, then round up whatever tobacco strikes my fancy at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.