Which Current Savinelli 320s Have a Vulcanite Stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I've been on the fence about buying a Savinelli 320 for ages. I loved the shape but worried it might have a bit of a large bowl for my tastes.

That and I've gradually come to strongly prefer vulcanite stems to acrylics.
Eventually I took a chance on an unfinished 320 I found at a decent price and which advertised a vulcanite stem.

A week and a dozen or so bowls later and I love the 320 shape and size. And I like its vulcanite stem.
This obviously opened me up to desiring a second 320 but trying to figure out which 320 Savs come with the vulcanite stem is a PITA, frankly.

Has anyone found or put together such a list?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I found these 320's using SmokingPipes.com's pipe locator.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?category=577&category=33&shape=4&stem=1&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am not strongly partial to vulcanite or acrylic or other materials for stems. However, I have noticed that the series in a particular pipe brand don't always have a set material for the stem. With Sav, obviously Oscar Lucite pipes have Lucite stems, and with Savenelli there seems to be some consistency with series, but I don't think it is invariable. You have to personally sight the pipe or check with the online retailer by phone to be sure. Sometimes even the pros get it wrong. I ordered an estate pipe, unsmoked, from a sponsor online retailer, and the stem was listed as Vulcanite and was acrylic, so this is a fine point that even the pros can get wrong. If it matters to you, check carefully when buying, even if you think you know the series well.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
As far as I've been able to ascertain so far, the Savinelli Roma, Porto Cervo and Hercules 320s come with a vulcanite stem.

Then there's the Rossis.

Not sure when my unfinished series III Sav was made but I bought it new last week and it has a vulcanite stem.
Looks my lust for a 320 Gaius, Lancelot or a Panama that hasn't been beaten to rat crap will remain *Cough* a pipe dream.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stand corrected, didn't know they still did non-filter,vulcanite stems.

The filter screen at Smoking Pipes works great, these are all vulcanite.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?shape=4&shape=9&stem=1&sortOpt=default&displayNum=48

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I have found the Tris and Panama lines had a 320 available with a vulcanite stem.

I have found a Tris and am still looking for a Panama.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Well, while the Tris "may" have been available with a vulcanite cumberland stem, the one I picked up is almost certainly acrylic.

Sometimes the smokingpipes.com listings are wrong.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I also recommend the Rossi 320's (8320 in Rossi numbers). Savinelli briar made by Savinelli. They can be had for $40-60 and smoke just like my Savs. Unfiltered Vulcanite stems as well. I have a Rubino and a Vittoria. Word of warning, the Lucca line is monstrous huge.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Pipesticks, absolutely love my Vittoria which I bought recently. It had an acrylic stem, though. As to bowl size, that Vittoria's bowl is deceptive. Though the pipe looks quite compact, that bowl holds more tobacco than any pipe in my collection other than a Hungarian I have. I certainly wouldn't want a larger bowl capacity.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
irishearl, yeah they run big. I picked up a Rossi Sitter billiard recently and its just the right size. I also got a Lucca Billiard during IPSD sales and it is just massive.

The "Sitting" Rossi, as SPC calls it, is acrylic but the Lucca is vulcanite. I also have a Lucca Prince shape and while the chamber is wide, it is not so deep and a great english smoker.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
It seems one must go to vintage estate Savinellis to get vulcanite.

I've picked up an example of the following series and can confirm they have vulcanite stems.

- Champagne

- Oscar

- Extra

- Sherwood
I also picked up a nice Bruna which comes with a lovely red and black cumberland stem.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I’m pretty sure all the Rossi 8320’s have vulcanite stems. They’re Savinelli made minus the stamping. And a fraction of the price.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I have become rather fond of my Rossi 8320 Rubino which is a considerably better quality pipe than my Rossi Vittoria.
I have found a brown alligator with a vulcanite stem which I now realize is one of the few currently available models which is the original topic.

That said, pretty sure the Alligator models are acrylic only these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.