Which "cheap" pipe in your collection smokes best?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If you collect pipes, then chances are that you have at least one "cheap" one, a mongrel that, while lacking the pedigree of a Dunhill or old Barling, always delivers a solid, satisfying smoke. Mine is an estate Rogers Select (Algerian briar) Prince with a fish-tail bit for which I paid $7.00. I bought it at an antique mall over 10 years ago, and it is a favorite, the closest thing to a "magic" pipe that I will probably ever own. What's yours?

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm not sure what is ment by cheap.My pipes are old so they would cost more now than when I bought them.I paid $30 dollars for a Bjarne about 25 years ago.It's the least I've paid for a pipe that smokes that well.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have a yello bole that my gf gave me. She spent $5 at an estate sale. I smoked it just so she wouldn't feel bad and the damn thing smokes well enough that I use it as one of my fishing pipes.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have a Rocky 722 made in West Germany that my wife bought at a garage sale for $1 dollar that smokes like a dream. It always delivers and was a pleasant suprise. My "Magic" pipe that always delivers and has never let me down, matter of fact It is my favorite pipe and the best smoking pipe that I own, It will be buried with me, is a 1931 KB&B Drinkless Kaywoodie medium apple panel that I gave $22 dollars for and I wouldn't trade it for any pipe on the planet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An Ehrlich billiard that I picked up on eBay for $2, along with a Brebbia Millenia (think that's the model name) which is also a great smoking pipe. At $1 apiece they were two of the best deals I've had, bar none.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I guess the kaywoodie drinkless my older brother gave me for free which started my pipe smoking hobby/obsession. All my pipes smoke good, and the most I've paid for a briar estate is 18$ with the majority of them being in the 12$ mark.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have a Wally Frank Pipe of the Month that was gifted to me by Premal at Smokers' Haven. Once he opened it up, it smoked like a champion. Its a small billiard with about a group 4 sized bowl.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Without a doubt my Doc Grabow Silver Duke (middle pipe) purchased for $0.99 wins this test. The other two dukes there were under ten bucks and they are also great pipes.
9e159afb-fcba-4ea3-b416-cf76c2e1d614_zpsc5b6ba94.jpg

I've got a lot others in this category. My Medico Jet Streams are all winners. Jet Stream Link

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
That's a good question! Two pipes actually come to mind the first is an old canadian that some-one had extended the shank of themselves, from ebay, very small price - isn't a great smoker but it's just so comfortable that anything's good out of it, probably because it's so ghosted, but there's just something about it that I really like.
The proper answer to the question is a billiard basket pipe I bought from a town in the hills a number of years ago. No markings on it at all, very simple shape - smokes really well, perfect size bowl, lovely colour. As basic a pipe and shape as can possibly be, but one of my favourites.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yes, great question. One of my best smokers is a plain Dr. Bernard Italian billiard with a saddle bit. It's a basket pipe from my brother-in-law, will have been cheap.
I have to add my cobs; all smoke well, my favorites being the Country Gentleman and I'm starting to like the Mac Arthur. Will have to fire up the Freehand one of these days.
IMG_2231_zpsece0318d.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
An old Edwards bent Billard that I picked up for 16$, thin walled, looking at it you would say that pipe will be hot as a furnace smoking it, NOPE, cool pleasant smoke. It's my Bingo pipe when I go play with the wife which is not often. The Blue Hair Ladies sit around me to smell the TroutStream I smoke for them. HaHa

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On my rack, that covers a lot of ground, so I will omit many pipes. But some of the low-end great smokers are

Iwan Ries Exclusives made by Benton of Texas of Algerian briar, solid, well-balanced pipes that smoke well right

off and get better. I have a straight billiard, a Canadian, and a compact bent billiard that passes pipe cleaners.

They really are champs. This leaves out my five or six cobs, my Eriksen made by Nording, my Kaywoodies and

Yello-Bole, and my Chapuis-Comoy (sp?) zulu. Also a Savenelli second unfinished billiard that I bought thirty

plus years ago, and its mate, a Sav stamped zulu 404 unfinished. You don't have to spend a lot to have a superior

smoke. I love high-end pipes for other reasons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sam, that is an inspiring foursquare panel; do they still make those? Nice.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Dr. Grabow Viscount Author. I purchased this pipe off the card in 1978. I think it was $9.95 new. Consistently smokes in the zone with aromatics.

DrGrabowViscount_zps2a6d19a5.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
For me, hands down it's my Mr. Brog. It stays in my rotation at all times, I love it.

davidyanik

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
I only own 2 pipes and they are both cheap pipes. My favorite out of the two is the Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood pipe. Its smokes so great, without a filter. Its so cheap I can just toss it once I've abused it too much, lately the mouth piece is starting to come lose so I'll have to replace it soon.
The other pipe I own is a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke and I really don't like it much. I haven't been able to try anything better than either of these yet so my experiences don't mean much!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I don't collect pipes, but out of the ones that I have (which includes 7 briars) the cheapest pipe(s) that always smoke well are any of my MM cobs.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My Savinelli Natural. It has a a fill going through to the bowl at the top but will smoke anything dry and cool. Great for mowing the lawn.
-Jason

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A Dr Grabow Royal Duke. Dates from the late 60s/early 70s. Bought it unsmoked for $16.50.
grabow2.jpg

It's a cheap pipe (both in cost and manufacture), but a topnotch smoker nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.