PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Mark Twain once said, "Too much of anything is no good, except too much whiskey. I say you can never have too much Latakia!
McClelland's Bombay Extra in a Michael Kabik CHP-X Pickaxe. This is my most smoked blend. Yes, even above those Frog Morton blends!
After trying a lot of English blends I've found this is my favorite blend. The Perique is just in the right measure with a heavy dose of Latakia but never overwhelming.
What do you smoke the most of?
Cheers!
BombaySmokingSepterber.jpg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice, Durham! For me, I tend to get on a kick with a blend. I'll smoke one for a while then move on, but I usually come back to it later. Right now it's McClelland Blue Mountain, before that it was Lane 1Q, before that it was Williams C. C. Cavendish, ect. Who knows what's next. That's not to say I only smoke one blend at a time exclusively, just the one I reach for the most. Right now I'm on a Latakia kick, and Blue Mountain is my current favorite.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Right now I'm on a Latakia kick, and Blue Mountain is my current favorite.
I've heard and read so many great reviews on Blue Mountain!
I have a tin of Blue Mountain I've just not popped it open yet. Saving it for some reason.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
El Ricon de la pipa #1 by 4noggins, it's my daily wakeup smoke, once fall comes I'll probably go back to EMP, ERDLP is a great summer smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like variety and so I find myself on a tour of my cellar holdings, with H&H Marble Kake being the current focus,

and Mac Baren Virginia #1 a close second. I think I'm going to keep track of how often I smoke my individual blends

and do a graph, or look for a pattern.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
My most current blend that I smoke the most has to be either Blend No. 5 or Dunhill's Royal Yacht.

~Ron

Aug 14, 2012
My favorite is the Bombay Court, without the extra Latakia. I switch to something stronger like Nightcap late in the day.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I've been trying to smoke as many different Va flakes and it's various variations as much as possible. I'd like to find a few I really like and build up a decent supply of those. So far it's come down to MacBaren's Navy Flake, Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue, and although this is only my third or fourth bowl of the new "Three Nuns", I can tell I like it already. I have a pound of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, but it pales in comparison to the aforementioned. I think I might order some Flake Medallions by Davidoff next TAD. I have some Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug that will have at least six months age on it when I decide to try it. I haven't really had enough time with enough blends to finds my favorites, I guess. The ones I rattled off are really just ones with little mental sticky notes on 'em that read: "Liked enough to order more", or "Meh".

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I haven't bought a repeat blend, but I constantly have numerous blends on hand that I pull from until gone. Right now I have open: Dunhill Nightcap, FrogMorton, Carter Hall, Captain Black Gold, Just For Him Middle Earth series and a local B&M's "Coffee Pot Pass," which is burley & cavendish cased with chocolate and coffee. The 1Q, which was my go-to has recently passed on ...

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
When I open my eyes in the morning, I light a pipe of EMP.

I smoke this when drinking 2-3 double espresso.
The rest of the day I currently smoke:

Erinmore Flake - I'm not sure what I think of it.

Peterson's Irish Flake - a strong Lady reserved for after a meal.

Peterson's University Flake - I've a dedicated pipe for UF

Rattray's Marlin Flake - like EMP, it just have to be close to hand.
At the moment I smoke Erinmore and drink the Sicilian espresso blend Ginevra Silver.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Don't really have a "go-to" yet.....ihad bought a pound of MacB ODF, which I really like...but for some reason I just haven't been going for it....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm loving my ventures into VA flakes like BBF Capstan Blue and some others, however as I was reminded this weekend, CH is my go to when I'm not sure what I want to smoke. Guess I'm a cheeseburger kinda guy.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Most of my smokes in a week come from the leather pipe wallet I carry, which is always filled with whatever English I've selected as my next go-to smoke. Westminster, 965, Squadron leader and even Nightcap, on one occassion, have seen tours. After that, it would be whatever couple of latakia blends are open in my room-currently Nightcap, GLP Sextant, and a bit of Billy Budd.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I smoke many different blends, but find that I usually stick to

Peter Stokkebye: Bulk Blends, and Lanes: Bulk Blends, as I smoke quite a few pipes a day, up to 14 bowls.

This helps me keep the cost down by smoking the Bulk Blends most of the time.

My tin tobaccos are considered a treat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Currently, I'm rotating between English blends and aromatics. The aromatics heighten going back to

the English for me. Right now, it's MM965, Nat Sherman 536, and English Oriental, for English, and

Lane's LL-7, Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge" and "Dark Obsession," and then various others for a change.

Others include Lane's Burley Without Bite, McClelland's Red Cake, Granger, and occasional home mixes.

I maintain some CD Latakia and Perique for blending, and use Cavendish with Va and Burley, mixed to suit.

I have a few OTCs besides Granger -- Five Brothers among them, and a number of tins I'm holding to give

them a little age -- Royal Yacht, Dunhill Elizabethan, G.L. Pease Westminster, and Frog Morton Original.

This makes it sound like I have a big trove of tobacco, but I'd say it's all a few pounds, maybe four, not

counting the jars and tins.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Billy Budd, never leaves me unsatisfied. Hmm....maybe I should rewrite that sentence haha.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
GH Balkan Flake. It's the only one I keep in a Kilner jar right next to my pipes. An easy rub - smells like tarred rope/creosote - an acquired taste, but one I acquired 10 years ago! lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently have 28 different flakes in my rotation and for the last year and a few months I have smoked more tins of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake than any other. A very close second are the following.
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Astleys no 44

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Rotary Navy Cut

Escudo

Solani Silver Flake and 633

Dunhill Flake

Mac Baren ODF

Stonehaven

SG Best Brown and St James

Capstan Blue Flake
I go through periods when I am smoking a lot of a dozen or so different ones and then switch to another dozen or so, but the one constant is the BCDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.