Which Aromatics Don't Have a Strong Aftertaste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, I couldn't find a thread on this. To me, most aromatics taste like chemicals or scented candles and they leave a really bad aftertaste. So, here's what I'm looking for -- which aromatics do not taste like chemicals or leave a chemically aftertaste?
Many smokers can enjoy aromatics with no issues -- I envy you. But in this thread I'm especially interested to hear from people who usually get the chemical aftertaste, but who have found one or two aromatics that doesn't give them that taste.
I can name one, but I'd love to hear of others. I really want to be able to enjoy a yummy vanilla or caramel-scented tobacco.
Peterson Connoisseur's Choice I get all the tropical fruit, pineapple, rum, and coconut flavors front and center, but no chemically aftertaste. Leaving the Lakelands aside, this is the best aromatic I've tried so far.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I hated aromatics, for the reasons you describe. So I went on a hunt for quality aromatics and here's what I found (as mentioned in a similar, recent thread), in no particular order:
- The Humidor/310 Battleground (Murfreesboro, TN B&M house blend of black Cavendish, Latakia, and Perique)

- Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake

- Pipeworks & Wilke No. 191

- Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5 (if you like English Aromatics, ie: with Latakia)

- Two Friends English Chocolate (ditto above)

- Savinelli Cavendish

- C&D Autumn Evening
And, for a crossover, GL Pease Barbary Coast
None of these have the chemical goopy taste so common with aromatics.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's great, Perique. Thanks for that.
That's also the third reminder in two days that I should check out the Pipeworks and Wilke blends. (What am I waiting for?)

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well you know it's funny I smoke Aromatics around the house to keep the wife happy but like you I was on a search for a long time to find an Aro that I liked. One quality aromatic that comes to mind is Reiner Aromatic. It comes in a tin with a green label. It's fairly expensive as tobacco goes. I find the German tobaccos tend to be a little more. No chemical aftertaste. Another one that I really like that is an almost drugstore blend is one called Black Cordial. I think it's an Altadis blend although not sure who owns them anymore. Lane has a similar blend too called the same thing. Tastes like it smells and the wife never complains.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've heard good things about the Reiner blends, including the Professional Blend. I'll have to add that to the list.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, that's at least 4 reminders that I should check out Carole Burns's blends (Pipeworks and Wilke).

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
The only one aro that I have tasted that is decent to me is Hearth & Home Egg Nog. Didn't leave an after taste and was a smooth and creamy smoke. Like Rothnh I'm not a aro man myself, but this one I can tolerate.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
One I cant recommend enough is the W.O. Larsen 2013 Special Edition. It is AMAZING. I dont really like aros but this one became the exception. It was citrusey with a hint of whisky like in frog morton's cellar but a bit stronger and the smoke was nice and cool and the flavor has varied enough from bowl to bowl to keep it interesting. I truly cannot recommend it enough. If I had the money I would buy another 5 tins just so I could have some in the coming years when they stop producing it. Oh! And it doesnt have any stronger of an aftertaste then most other tobaccos. Most certainly not that film most aros leave on your tongue.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
H&H egg nog, and Cinnamon Roll were pretty decent.

Nording Hunters - Labrador blend also was excellent.

1Q from lane was so light of an aromatic I don't notice an aftertaste.
I just got my first shipment from Straus Tobacconist with some Rookwood which is their house blend and is rated highly on tobacco review sites - and the jury is out to deliberation on it currently so I'll you guys know.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, I'm starting a list of tobaccos that sound promising. If any aro-averse smokers find any of these objectionable, please pipe speak up. Of course, I'd also include any of the Pipeworks and Wilke aromatics -- opinion seems to be near universal that these are excellent and starkly different from most aromatics.
BTW, I've tried 1-Q -- the Lane aromatics epitomize, for me, the chemical-laden taste of conventional aromatics. There must be some kind of body chemistry thing that separates the arophiles from the aro-averse. My wife sometimes drinks hazelnut (or "hazelnut") coffee, but to me it tastes like scented candles (or aromatic tobacco). Smells OK, though.
Savinelli Cavendish

C&D Autumn Evening

Reiner Aromatic

Reiner Professional Blend

W.O. Larsen 2013 Special Edition

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cheap old me, but I find several blends available in bulk to have little or no aftertaste,

although individuals taste things differently. Several examples, the ever-popular Lane's Q-1,

Lanes LL-7, and Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge," and their "Dark Obsession." All are mild

and don't leave me with any aftertaste.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
[I really want to be able to enjoy a yummy vanilla or caramel-scented tobacco]
Dan Tobacco Milonga and pipesandcigars.com Trout Stream are worth considering. I haven't noticed any chemical aftertaste with either of these delicious blends

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't noticed a chemical taste on any Lane Limited blends, Mac Baren blends, or McClelland blends.
Lane's 1Q is really good and so is BCA and Black Raspberry.
Mac Baren's 7 Seas line is a solid line of quality aromatics.
McClelland's Premium Aromatics line is a very good line of aromatics as well.
Now this Spinnaker from Sutliff I'm puffing on does give a bit of chemical flavor. I'm fighting my way through the tin this week.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Autumn Evening had a raw, metallic taste to me that I hated. But I jarred it for several months and just revisited it and it has mellowed and is very nice with none of that "taste" it had when "fresh". The Black Cordial (Z50 by Altadis now Sutliff on P&C and called Night Cap by Sutliff Tobacalaria Gallaria {or something close to that spelling} on SmokingPipes, the same blend) is very nice, as was mentioned. That is the only aromatic I've found that is always "good" to me in taste, room note, tin note, etcetera.
After only a few bowls, the highly recommended Trout Stream and Cinnamon Roll seem promising.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I don't smoke aromatics, but if I did, I'd go for Mac Baren's Cherry Ambrosia, which is free of the casings used in American-style aromatics. I tried it long ago, and it's good. If you like cherries in your tobacco. They make a vanilla also that I'd bet is good too.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Something else you might like are some mildly aromatic flakes.

These are not what I would call "full blown aros", you can still taste some of the "real" tobacco coming through.

Here are some suggestions;
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Mac Baren Mixture Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

Peterson University Flake
All of these are excellent tobaccos in my opinion!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
+1 to Petes03 put with the exception of the Mac Baren Mixture Flake. Have not tried those but the other 3 are staples in my cellar. I do know that aromatics tend not to age, however MB VCF and PS LTF after a year in a mason jar I opened them both up and was a big difference. The twist flake aged the best out the two. It was really good.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I'm "tooting" my own horn here. My Cornell and Diehl Blend - Captain Bob's Blend, does ghost your pipe, but it does not give me any after taste as you describe. I suggest you consult tobaccoreviews.com and read the reviews at this address before trying: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3117/cornell-diehl-captain-bobs-blend

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.