Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Which Are the Best Missouri Meerschaum Cobs and Why?

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am by no means an expert on Cobs (I have two, probably older than some of you LOL) -- but which MM Cobs are best?

They all are relatively inexpensive, so choosing a preferred size is pretty easy to do, but a post I read today with someone buying a "mistake" (a mini-cob that's more of a toy than the real and practical short smoker he hoped for) got me to thinking about this.

I hear the current wood "cob" -- the Ozark -- is disliked by many. I just assumed this is largely because it isn't a real cob pipe and doesn't smoke like one. What's your take? I do hear MM is releasing a "better improved" wood pipe soon -- any updates on that pipe?

Some cobs have different shanks. Some are said to be better than the other(s). How do they compare? Which MMs have the best shanks and why?

Some cobs have different bowl bottoms. Many said to get only the hardwood bottoms. Which MMs have the best bowl bottoms and why?

The "natural" cobs are said to smoke cooler than the polished cobs. This makes sense, but when holding a natural, it feels unpleasant to me and somehow cheaper, definitely lighter. Thoughts?

About bowl size, I know many love their Generals. But these are a bit over the top for some and, to me, appear to be somewhat unwieldy. Opinions?

How long have you enjoyed your cobs? Which do model(s) do you prefer and why? Which MM is best and why?

I'm anxious to hear your opinions!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer those with bowls on the slightly smaller side of medium, straight, with a smooth plastic bit like the one hanging off my teeth in my photo. They last a long time, smoke perfectly from the first bowl, are light enough you barely notice them in your teeth, and at $4, you can break 3 a month and not cry about it.

Oh, and I've never smoked one of the wooden "cobs", and wouldn't. I smoke cobs because they are COBS, and smoke so nicely. When I want a wood pipe, I'll smoke a briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

I've had good luck with the "Kolonel," sold by Aristocob. Make sure to get some replacement Danish bits.

http://aristocob.com/The-KOLONEL-Straight-New-Missouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-Pipe-AKA-5th-Avenue-P2586840.aspx

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

the "Kolonel," sold by Aristocob.

Do they all have those black mustache designs on them? Not a fan of that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am very partial to the Country Gentleman. I like the bent version. I like big bowls, and this one I can fill and smoke for a couple of days in my car on the way to and from work (about a 10-minute drive). I also have a Legend cob, and it is very light and smokes cool. I have never had a bad smoke from a cob. Wish I could say the same about my briars, but mostly that is my fault. The cobs are low maintenance and I think they look groovy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am also a fan of the Country Gent. I have 4 of them, 2 bent and 2 straight. 2 of them have Forever stems (which I could not recommend more highly - huge improvement in mouth feel and smokability and improve the look of the pipe, IMO). To answer your questions, I like the CG due to bowl size and my experience with their durability. They smoke excellent from the first light, and mine have improved over time. I'm very partial to these pipes and, while I would not trade my collection of briar, would always want some cobs in the rotation.

I have not had very good luck with the standard MM cob - the kind commonly available in drug stores and smoke shops. I think it's the "Legend"? Bowl is a bit small and I've not found them as durable as the CG. I've burned out two of them, not at the bottom of the bowl but around the sides. I've found them to smoke hot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered the "mistake" mini cob today and it was quite comical with my large hand trying to pack it. In the same order I received one of the Ozark hard wood cobs that I plan on smoking on the way home tonight. I'll update everyone on how it smokes. I have ordered the Country Gent based on a lot of the threads so I'm excited to break that one out when it arrives.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the Gent looks the best. I have shoved a tamper through the bottom on more than 1 occasion. That might just be me though as I do not pay attention to the pipe while fishing. (When I normally smoke cobs)

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I, too, am a fan of the Gent and have two of them. I'd like to get the larger bowls like the General and the Mac, and also like how they look. My tobacconist doesn't carry them, so I'll have to order them from MM. For a 'quick smoke,' though, I have a couple of smaller ones.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got my bag of seconds in the mail - looks like I'll be able to test a Diplomat, a Washington, a Great Dane (egg), a couple of Pony Express, a Mizzou, and 4 Legends (3 straight, one bent).

My initial impressions confirm that I've got a thing for curves - I like the egg-shaped bowls better, and I like the lines of the bent pipes. It's the one area where my normal utilitarian "function over form" attitude breaks down. The Pony Express and Missou models have smaller diameter bowls and wooden stummels/shanks rather than cob, and they're also unfiltered. Looks like I've found my "shorter smoke" pipes...

Sadly, the weather's not being particularly cooperative today, so I won't get a chance to try them out until tomorrow - but I'll let you know what I find out.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked the Ozark on the way home tonight. I have to say I am a bit surprised at how well it smoked. The bowl didn't get hot, it seemed to stay lit really well and it's nice and light for clenching. I had a bowl of CBW and it was quite pleasant, didn't blow me out of the water by any means but it was good

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Country Gentleman & great dane. Bent. Just style & the smoke like a cob.
    Only reason I have 3 is because they are cheap, if I break one I won't cry, smoke OK but not better than any Briar I have.
    Can't see you buying one unless you want to paint the house & change the car oil without washing your hands while smoking.

and thats another reason I have them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rothnh, I quite like the Country Gent in straight and curved, and the Diplomat in both styles as well. I got rid of the filters and mudded mine with sieved Ash wood ash and after 50 - 100 smokes on each, they are still just a sweet 20 minute smoke. I'm not a clencher by nature but tend to "chew" on these guys all the time. I also bought a bag of seconds and am going to do so again soon as I tend to give them away.

Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only complaint about the egg is the draw - it's several times larger than any of my other pipes. I tried putting in a piece of pipe cleaner to close it down a bit, which worked perfectly until I needed to run a pipe cleaner through mid-smoke. I still smoke it, but it's always a surprise coming to it from another pipe.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I am no expert either as I only own two as well... and no they are not older than you

But there is this guy that makes some really neat looking cob's and apparently they are awesome smokers... I just cant seem to justify spending $50+ on a corn cob pipe.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain, I've seen those and they're gorgeous. I would spend $50 on one if not for my fear of burning it out. I really like the way cobs smoke but it's hit and miss. Maybe it's my smoking style. Maybe it's the natural variation inherent in a cob. But I'm with you: $50 is a lot to risk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke pretty much exclusively cobs. I just got my 1st Country Gent a few days ago and I am thinking this is my fave so far, I like the bowl size and I also have started replacing my stems with the "Danish stems from MM as they feel better and last longer and are only about $.50 a piece. And filters get tossed.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like The General. When I smoke it, I even make the wife call me "General" and then I start barking out orders. I won't go into any more detail than that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have a Pony and a Legend. I like the Pony, because it is small and is perfect for when I want a quick smoke. I really like the look of the freehands, and hope to get one eventually.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Country gentleman and Great Dane are my favorites simply because they're great smokers,IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LMAO Peckin!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Rothnh--nope. no moustaches on the Kolonels. That was just an advertising gag.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

phred:

The Pony Express and Missou models have smaller diameter bowls and wooden stummels/shanks rather than cob, and they're also unfiltered. Looks like I've found my "shorter smoke" pipes...

Actually all the new cobs have wood (I believe pine) shanks. Some are just printed with a pattern to look like cob. I have seen vintage ones that do feature a small diameter cob (baby corn?) for the shank though. Probably difficult to manufacture, but likely nicer than smoking pine shank for the first couple dozen bowls.

Here is where I got started and it helped me narrow down what I wanted for my 2nd and 3rd cob:
    http://pipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide
    Good write-up on the different aspects of the current line-up, albeit a little biased.

My first pipe was a Legend Bent. I use it primarily for aro's. I just ordered 2 more (as well as my first briar) from P&C and got the Missouri Pride Straight which is a natural finish. I also got the Great Dane Spool Straight which is plastered and finished just like the Legend. The larger bowls feature the hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowl, like my Great Dane. The ones with printed logos on the bottom of the bowl are the hardwood plugged ones, the ones with paper stickers are plain cob. I have only smoked the Great Dane once so far and like the bowl size. It is comparable diameter to a Legend, just deeper. The contour of the spool shape feels very ergonomic in the hand, although with the thinner centre, you can feel a bit more heat than you likely would on the Egg version. The Pride has great curb appeal (my g/f said she liked the looks of this one the best) with a basic poker/lovat profile. It is rough in the hand being a natural, but very light too. I have only smoked Black House out of this one twice now. The jury is still out on the rough feel in the hand, but I also think that this will minimize as some of the prickly bits just naturally get worn down or off. I think it gives the impression of smoking cooler whether it does or not because it is not plastered and does not hold or conduct heat as much.

That being said, if I was to order only one more next time, it would likely be the Country Gentleman. But if I order more than one, I would likely add another Legend. Yes it is smallish, but it is also a great size for a beginner or for a shorter smoke. Who am I kidding, this is the pipe that best fits my budget, I'll probably be the cob king before I can afford another briar.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Diplomat and a Washington. Had a Country Gent that burned out - wouldn't mind having another.

Really, it's all a matter of personal preference. I use my Diplomat for codger burleys - right now that means CH - and am using the Washington for Spillman's and MacBaren Latakia, which is what I used the CG for. Experiment - it's not like they cost a lot - find out what works for you.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks to all who are taking time to share their take on which MM cob(s) they own and which model(s) they enjoy most and why.

I am sure anyone considering a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe appreciates it (everybody should have at least one!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. scurvydog

scurvydog

Login to Send PM

Love my bent Country Gent with green Walker stem. Its the workhorse of my pipes. In fact I have to say that it is nearly my favorite pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the diplomat the best, I have had some of the smaller ones, but thought they were just alittle hard to pack for my fingers.

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

bent diplomat, lose the filters...

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually all the new cobs have wood (I believe pine) shanks. Some are just printed with a pattern to look like cob.

Ah, quite right. Stupid bifocals...

Smoked a quick bowl of H&H Berry Nice in the bent Legend this morning while doing some outdoor chores - my estimate on the timing was pretty much on (short smoke), and the draw seemed a lot more wide-open than on my briars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

Phred, how long would you say your smoke lasts out of the Legend? I am trying to keep an eye on the clock and make sure I am slowing myself down. But at the same time I often come on forums while I smoke and tend to lost track.

I also forgot to say that I do indeed have 3 pristine filters as I have never used them and keep them in my accessory box.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chakaraka - I think I'm going to have to take a Sharpie and label the cobs. It was actually the Missou, not the bent Legend that I found just right for a sub-30 minute smoke.

I smoked some Vermont Meat Candy in one of the straight Legends yesterday with a filter in place, and will probably smoke another bowl today minus the filter to compare.

At this point, the cobs seem slightly less 'fussy' than my briars, but that may just be me getting better at packing them, as I've been smoking maybe once a week until this week, when I've been closer to once a day (now that I've got enough pipes for a full rotation... and a little more time on my hands).

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I am actually a little surprised that they don't "name" them with the label on the bottom of the bowl. I only have 3 cobs so far, so I can keep them straight. When I first saw the Missou and Pony Express, I thought they may be too small for a proper smoke. But now I may just grab one for a short smoke or trying something new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

i'm a big fan of the bent Country Gentleman as well. I do have to say the bent General is also a fantastic pipe. I'm not so much a fan of the smaller pony express pipes. I find its almost annoying to fill it with so little bit at a time, otherwise it packs at the top half of the bowl. I probably just need to slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   carytobacco, trailboss, sw0snuff3r, griffonwing, dmcmtk, peckinpahhombre, briarfriar, okiescout, keith929, pipebaum81, northernneil, blueeyedogre, derfatdutchman, pruss, crazypipe, yohanan, pitchfork, voorhees, agnosticpipe, papipeguy, meatballj, darwin, mso489, brianbu