Which Are the Best Dry Tobaccos for a Beginner? Budget Friendly!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
And also avaiable internationally. If you know any dry Brazilian tobaccos, even better!
I smoke Captain Black and it's too moist so it produces a lot of gurgling.
Is Dunhill drier? It's avaiable where I live although it is kind of expensive for me. I'd buy it though.
I like to smoke like a chimney so I've heard that dry tobaccos produce less moisture and consequently less gurgling.
Any suggestions welcome!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm not certain about availability in other countries, but the driest tobacco I've encountered so far are the Daughters & Ryan blends and the Tabac Semois stuff.
Others will add more soon. Hope that's helpful.
jay-roger.jpg

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Some other "not so moist" tobaccos? Doesn't need to be the driest...
And what do you think about Dunhill?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You may dry any tobacco by yourself, even Captain Black. Dunhill blends are usually on the drier side, however I am afraid they will also release excess moisture if puffed too hard. I may suggest Latakia blends, you may dry them as much as you wont, they won't lose flavor and the advantage is; they are smoky.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
You may dry any tobacco by yourself, even Captain Black. Dunhill blends are usually on the drier side, however I am afraid they will also release excess moisture if puffed too hard. I may suggest Latakia blends, you may dry them as much as you wont, they won't lose flavor and the advantage is; they are smoky.
Drying Captain Black didn't work for me.
Is Latakia blended with Virginia still dry?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I have a pack of Brazilian tobacco here, a neutral Virginia blended with a litltle Cavendish, called Cândido Giovanella. Relatively unknown to Americans I think.
Should I guess it's dry or moist?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems to me that most GL Pease blends come reasonably "ready to smoke". Most blends benefit from some drying though. I just opened a tin of Dunhill Dark Flake, it definitely needed some drying. Try Antonio's tobacco in Argentina. I tried 8 blends from him and they all came ready to smoke. Argentina Tobacco Source

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Think his trouble might be casings or other additives more than moisture?

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Seems like Brazil have a nice selection of rope tobacco. Maybe you should try those. But, rope usually wet :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I agree, that Captain Black has 'wet staying power' or retains its moisture. This happens with aromatic tobaccos that utilize propylene glycol.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Definitely agree with 'broom. CB is so moist due to the additive that one person here swears blind you could leave it open in a hot car for 6 months & it'd *still* not dry out!
Javan's right about lats; they do tend to be drier from the start. If blended with Virginias it might take a little extra time to get them to drier "smokability" but shouldn't be too much. Just depends on how much of the Virginia is in it & how it's cut.
Dunhill's blends do tend to be a bit drier than most, but they're leaving the pipe tobacco market (at least in the US) because it's not profitable for them any more.
Bill

I also live in an area, where most of the year, you can re-hydrate your tobacco by just leaving it open outside. Any bagged tobacco is going to be drier and cheaper. D&R and check out some of the other offerings in the pipesandcigars>value blends. They are good stuff, and VERY affordable. Sometimes I get a craving for a pipe/RYO Turkish blend. Many don't talk about these on the forums, because for just a few dollars more, you can have a premium pipe tobacco, but they are tasty in the pipe. YMMV

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sr Machado-
All tobaccos I have tried (100+) are shipped to the retailer too moist for the best smoke. They all benefit from some - or a lot of- drying.
Dunhills tend to come in at 80% RH @ 70º, too wet for me. 60% is a target level, but rarely hit it right on.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
jpmcwjr, what about Savinelli tobaccos?
And neutral basic Virginias and Cavendishes (which are the ones that I find here?
(talking about humidity)

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Here I can ONLY find Savinelli, Dunhill, C.Black, Borkum Riff, Erinmore, Seven Seas, Half&Half, cheap Brazilian Virginia/Cavendish, and some others like Capstan and Orlik... but that's it.
There are no other varieties. Literally.
And you guys can call me just Machado if you want. :lol:

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Would you please go to my other thread then, sir? I have a terrible humidity problem here, and have a problem drying tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jvn' and jpm' made a good point that drying out tobacco is part of prepping it, usually, unless we are talking about Tabac-Manil Semois or Five Brothers that ship dry. My method is to either pack the pipe and leave it to dry, for a few hours or overnight, or put tobacco in a small crockery bowl a few bowls at a time and let it dry. Even a few days is fine. I don't have much problem with gurgling pipes, but I do find this makes the blends stay lit and improves the flavor somewhat, probably because the ember burns more evenly. Many aromatics are moist because of flavorings and casing, etc., so you'll have better luck with non-aromatics on the dryness.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Machado-
The one about a cob? In any event, I get that you have a humidity problem, and there are many suggestions on drying it. What am I missing? Want to help, but not sure what I or we can say further.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
jpmcwjr, On the thread about the humidity problem...
I smoke in a vapor-filled place, very humid, like a sauna. My city is one of the most humid in my country, 79%.
What is the best way to dry it in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.