PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake. Yes, its got a little kick to it, the Aroma is not for everyone. But for those of us who love it, it does not get much better. Smoking some with a couple of years on it in a meer and a good black beer. Heaven...

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I need to eventually pick up a tin of this to throw in the meer and see what I think. The topping is what has always kept me away. Guess there is only one way to know.

B

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Sorry, Weezell, I've tried it and just don't think it's anything special at all. I was really excited when my pipe guy had it in but became mystified over what all the hype was about. Not much flvour, not so very strong, not nothing. Have you tried H.H Old Dark Fired? It's much better. Also Condor Flake or Coniston Plug.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One of my all time favorites. I remember the first time I smoked it at the B&M. Several of the regulars stood around waiting for me to fall down. I didn't fall down but I did buy 3 tins that day. It was love at first light.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I want 1792 flake to be a regular smoke of mine...but I just can't take it. I love the smell, it's incredible; it's the nicest smelling tobacco I've ever come across. But the constant relighting drives me mad; I've tried drying it to varying extents and I just cannot get it to stay lit for long enough to not get irritated. Also, I have quite sensitive gums and 1792 can bring upon some fairly intense levels of agony.

I do like the flavour though...but have resorted to using at as a spice tobacco to add to SG Full Virginia Flake and give it a bit of a kick.
I'm so disappointed with myself. If 1792 was my regular smoke I would feel so tough.

Aug 14, 2012
I love the taste of this tobacco but hesitate to smoke it because it has a strange ingredient, deer tongue or something like that. Anyone know anything about this?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
A buddy of mine bought a tin of this one time. He said it was a decent flake, but the tonquin and the general strength of it knocked him on his ass!

I ended up buying a tin, but I gifted it before I ever popped it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Tonka bean for sure and like deer tongue often used as a vanilla substitute. The use of tonka is very much in like with old English blending laws regarding additives.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Have you tried H.H Old Dark Fired?
thehappypiper, OH YES I have and LOVE IT to! Have a pound of it bulk and I think 10 tins aging. Two different animals though...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Ah, the old beloved 1792, or Dead Mouse in the House as it is derisively known by wives all over the world.

I suppose that's much better than a "Did you shit yourself?" blend.
Good thing I was smoking a cob when I read that. It flew across my porch. Good one.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
1792 is on my list to try. Just got some Five Brothers and can see me adding it to some of the favorites for a nic boost.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I thought it tasted god-awful and my wife regarded the aroma as un befitting someone she could co-habitate with.....however, that's the reason they make so many different blends. To each his own!

Status
Not open for further replies.