PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Time to air one of my pet peeves: Why don't butane lighter manufacturers include an adjustment tool with their lighters? The business of adjusting the flame and completely emptying the lighter prior to refill is such an essential part of proper butane lighter performance that you'd think the tool would come packaged with all lighters. Instead, you have to order it from a third party (here's a picture of one:
33aqejq.jpg

One end for adjusting, the other for emptying the reservoir)
By the way, all you guys who are having trouble with your butane lighters are aware of the necessity of completely emptying before refilling, yes? If not, here's a great YouTube video that explains the whole process:

null

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My lighter came with a pipe nail that was inserted into the bottom of it but the top was essentially a flathead screwdriver to make adjustments. It's a Xikar pipeline; not a bad lighter for $40.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
There is some kind of international standard that says the flame shouldn't be over a certain height. I imagine making it easy to adjust the flame might violate the standard.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"There is some kind of international standard that says the flame shouldn't be over a certain height. I imagine making it easy to adjust the flame might violate the standard."
It is necessary to adjust the flame in order to properly fill the lighter. Before filling, it must be turned all the way down, and all remaining air and fuel exhausted from the lighter. After filling, it must be turned back up.
See the video I posted, at the head of this thread.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks 4dot! You guys are correct with regard to the steps of refilling a butane lighter. I went through many a lighter before I viewed a video (similar to 4dot's) from one the the major lighter manufacturers on the proper refilling of a lighter. My lighter works fine using the poker tool on my tamper to empty the reservoir. The flame adjustment on my lighter is a large wheel dial that is adjusted easily by thumb. As Roth said, I use only 5x butane fuel to refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.