PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taaser

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
Just got my firsth order of bulk samplers in from P&C.com. So many choices where do I start?
H&H Caramel Apple Pie

Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Newminster 9 Creamy Vanilla

Sutliff Rum and Maple

Captin Black Cherry
Pretty excited about them.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
phil's right. Probably should have gotten an ounce of Dunhill Insulin 965mg to go with that stuff! I don't know how many pipes you're planning to use, but the CB Cherry will ghost the hell out of a pipe for a while, so you might want to try that one last.

taaser

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
Thank you, i have some others on the way. This wasnt supposed to be here yet. Showed up early, ah well. Good to know about the Cherry. Few more sampler packs on the way. Hope it helps me find my favorites. Gotta try them to know what i like i guess. As far as the pipe. I have the 1 Cob i have. 2 Briars also on the way should be here this week. Soon as i get them I will post pictures of everything i have so far.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sorry, but I forget to say... welcome to the site!

Lotta great people here and their all more than willing to help with any questions and or problems you might encounter. Other than that, I can't help you out on any of the tobaccos you purchased as I don't smoke aromatics.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome!

I'm not an Aro guy but I sell a ton of it in the shop I work p/t in. That Sutliff Vanila Custard has been killing it with the guys that come in and the room note and jar/pouch note are enough to make me salivate. Some of the more seasoned guys tell me it's a great tasting blend. Enjoy!

taaser

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for the information. I have been hearing good things about the Vanilla Custard. For a guy thats new into pipe smoking what non aromatic would you all suggest? I know theres multiple posts on non aros in the forums and i have read alot. Im not looking to start a dispute or this is better then that but if you could pick 1 or 2 up as a new guy what would it be?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Personally, my recommendation is to smoke through as best you can what you've listed above. I doubt that they will all have you doing backflips but there will surely be one or two that sing for you. Tongue bite is a precaution I'd throw in with heavily cased aro's so sip slowly and try to keep your pipe cool as you venture forth. Having a dozen or more blends of any type all going at the same time is like trying to ride a unicycle on a tightrope while blindfolded. You need to devolop your palate.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Try the OTC's first, as a stepping stone from the aromatics. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Lane Ready Rubbed (yeah, I know it's new, but it's a very close approximation of Edgeworth). Technically, they're still aromatics, but a whole different class than the heavily flavored aros you mentioned in your original post.

taaser

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
I have tried Lane 1Q, I liked that quiet a bit, bought some half and half when I ran out, since it was made by Lane figured it was worth a shot. Both were pretty nice. Half and Half was more woody tasting then Lane 1Q was to me.

taaser

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
Well I must say I opened up the Vanilla Custard and gave it a try. Its good stuff! Cant wait to make my rounds through these to see how they all are.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Vanilla or chocolate isn't (in IMHO) a bad mix with tobacco, in fact there's a B*M which was the employer of Russ Oumlette of H&H which offers this as an addition to an otherwise English blend (don't know whether he is responsible for Gonna Need A Bigger Boat, but sadly it isn't sold online). Being that all of your selections are aromatics, I would start with the H&H, because blender Russ Oumlette is quite fastidious about the quality of his aromatics - his last aro, Classic Burley Kake, took him two years to produce because he wanted it to taste as good as it smells (and it does). He subsequently gave up on aros altogether, but anything still sold which he blended would not be like what you would get from the cheap aro blenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.