PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I don't post as often as I would like, but a number of my posts involve travel--particularly about pipe shops in the various cities I've been fortunate to visit. Living in central Europe has its perks!
Wife and kids will be visiting my in-laws for two weeks this summer, so I will have the opportunity to go pretty much anywhere I'd like. I'm looking for a city that has a decent pipe culture and hopefully a number of pipe shops, however I fear that these are becoming rarer and rarer. Any cities that I should consider? I've already been to the following:
Cologne

Heidelberg

Munich

Berlin

Barcelona

Brussels

Krakow

London

Paris

Rome (and can't go anywhere in Italy since it's my wife's all time favorite country and visiting there without her is a no-no)
Any suggestions?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Vienna is a beautiful city. It's clean, the people are friendly, it's easy to get around, and there's plenty to see and do. I stayed there for a couple weeks when I was younger and enjoyed it very much. I also enjoyed my brief stay in Budapest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I loved Amsterdam, if you have time to relax and enjoy it. It's a coffee shop and sidewalk cafe place. Day trips around Holland are also well worth it, but the city is a treat in itself. Just be careful of bike riders (they have the right-of-way) and street cars, especially in the squares where all the traffic entwines at once. Dogs are everywhere in stores and on public transportation and in doctor's offices. Dogs rule. Likewise, Dublin is a beguiling city, again requiring relaxing and walking about. When you order Guiness on tap, it takes time to draw a pint properly, so you just relax and wait and people watch. Alas, no smoking of any kind in pubs anymore, I hear. I'd rather see less, in terms of tourist sites, and spend more time steeping in the places. If you run about and check off sites, it makes good telling, but you don't get as much from the places.

smoelf

Lurker
Aug 7, 2014
I can recommend Copenhagen. It doesn't have much of a pipe culture per say, but it does have the Danish Pipe Shop and a number of lovely places to smoke a pipe.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Skip Berlin and Cologne and go to Hamburg instead. Beautiful, green city with lots of water, a cool harbour and very friendly people. London is a must of course, Vienna is lovely too. In Italy Venice is a must. It might be full of tourists but it is such a amazing place!

Status
Not open for further replies.