PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
In recent years I've nearly stopped ordering steak when I go out because NOBODY can cook one right! In my town, there's a steakhouse on every block it seems, and I've been to most all of them. None, however, have any idea how to cook a steak! Now, I like my steak thick and prepared med-med rare, no sauces. A dry rub or subtle marinade is fine, but that's it! I said all of that to say this, they just built a new Longhorn in town, and I tried it for the first time last week, man was I surprised! I went there for a cousins birthday and ordered the cheapest steak on the menu, as I didn't want to spend much just to be let down. It was a small sirloin( which I don't normally care for ), ordered med rare. It was about 3in. around and 1-1/2in. thick cooked to perfection! I was impressed! Tonight, me and the wife went back and I ordered a 20oz porterhouse, also med rare, and it was the BEST steak I've ever had outside of my own grill! I may be picky about my cow, but eureka, I've found a place that can satisfy my steak OCD!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Same reason I rarely order steak when we go out. I can do it much better at home for a heck of a lot cheaper.
But if you're ever in Denver the Capital Grille makes one amazing steak. Just bring your wallet, you sure pay for it!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only time I will order a steak out is if I am at a high line steak joint that has prime aged beef, other wise I cook them myself. I cook it rare for me and medium rare for the kids. I buy my steak at Costco and it is pretty damn good, they even started carrying USDA Prime and the prices are pretty reasonable.
If you are ever wanting something different try getting some Inside Skirt steaks, do not get the Outside Skirt, when it comes to flavor they are very unique.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I normally cook em' myself, and I agree it's usually better that way! My grandfather was a butcher for 40+ years, so that's probably why I'm so particular. He always had the best cuts at his house!
Skirt steaks? Never heard of such. Lol!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
FWIW, my favorite cuts are the New York Strip and the First Cut Rump steaks. Many people "love" Tenderloin, and it is tender, but has little flavor.
:clap: That about sums it up for me on cut.
Where do I get them properly cooked?
Well... here:

Or here:

Or, if you're in Toronto, and want to go OTT on spoiling yourself with steak:

http://www.jacobssteakhouse.com/
Or, if you're in Toronto, and are a little more wallet conscious:

http://www.barberians.com/menu.php
Mmmmm... steak.... omnomnomom
-- Pat

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A subject I can sink my teeth into. I consider myself to be a bit of a "beef snob."
I will concede at the beginning that there are some fine eateries that buy custom grown steers. They closely monitor the producer to see that the meat they are providing is grass fed, at least two years old, butchered properly and the meat dry aged for at least 20 days or so, and delivered, usually as primal cuts to be broken down by their chefs, and that the fat is thick and the right color. You'll pay a premium for a steak in such a place and it will taste nothing like the usual fare at the local restaurant.
Since we Americans have decided that beef should be tender enough to cut with a fork and fairly bland in flavor, hence the use of sauces and rubs and other such truck a restaurants, I look for range beef that is strictly grass fed and at least two years old, preferably older, three to five years. I try to recreate the flavor and texture of the great beef I grew up with, no hormones or feed lots.
I find the best beef these days generally, is Argentine, Australian (Safeway now carries a line grass fed Australian beef, slaughtered a bit two young but still tasty, unfortunately no bone-in cuts), and Irish beef. The Safeway beef is great for cooking at home if you are looking for beef that tastes like beef.
One has to find ranches that are family owned that, while trying to turn a profit, take pride in steers that have great flavor. Then you usually have to buy a box of mixed cuts. For me there is the additional cost of shipping to Alaska, FedEx or UPS, lots of dry ice, etc, runs up the costs. The texture and flavor still make it a better deal than what is usually available at the market.
You young ones, under age sixty or so, probably have no idea what real, unadulterated beef tastes like. There's a "grassy" flavor that is distinct. I know a couple of chefs that swear they can tell where in Ireland a steer was raised by the taste. They say that the difference is in the grass which varies from region to region. Of course finding a cut in a butcher shop, in the US, with a good amount of fat is nigh impossible as the local butcher usually doesn't get primal cuts. The abattoir reduces the primal cuts and closely trims the fat before shipping now a days, since the average customer sees fat as waste, not a source of flavor, The preference seems to be closely trimmed and boneless. I look around the meat department and find that most markets guarantee their product to be tender, never a mention of flavor.
Beef from older steers is somewhat tougher (more walking and grazing) and need a bit, only a wee bit if properly hung, more cooking to break the tissue down a bit or it can be a bit tough. Still, I eat beef for the flavor and if properly aged the meat will still be reasonably tender. If I order a steak at the run-of-the-mill steak houses I always order the sirloin as I find that it has the most beef flavor. I have any sauces held or on the side.
I apologize as this missive seems to have turned into a rant. Mea culpa. Beef is one of the few things I feel passionate about. That and my pipes. Well . . . pulled pork sandwiches served with anything other than a vinegar based sauce is simply an abomination. Only tugging your chain a bit, those of you who grew up with and prefer tomato based sauces, I don't want to highjack this thread. No offense meant, just a personal taste.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Peter Luger's Williamsburg Brooklyn.

http://www.peterluger.com/
+1 for Capital Grille. They have a few here in NYC and the steaks are great.
If you love prime rib and you're in Chicago you should try Lawry's.
For home cooking I usually buy grass fed beef from Trader Joes. I prefer a few different cuts. Porterhouse(which is really a strip and filet still on the bone), rib eye, skirt steak.
Although I really do have to say that I know a ton of people that buy beef from Costco and say it's far better than their supermarket. I have bought beef a few times from Sam's Club and it's good. (I'd go to Costco but the parking lot is ridiculous)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here in Vegas there's a number of good places to get a steak. Best I've ever had was at the Steakhouse at Circus Circus. The Switch at Encore makes a wonderful steak. Vitner Grill makes a killer steak as well.
At home my girl has started using a meat thermometer and she can get a steak cooked better than most restaurants. I was just eyeballing it and her thermometer gets it better than my eyeball.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
During my last couple of years in college, I worked as a line cook at a steakhouse - and I have to say, unless I'm ordering prime rib (which takes forever), I prefer to cook my own steaks. It's not rocket science - but there's just something about doing it for yourself that adds to the experience.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
+1 for Peter Luger's, but I only get there about once a year (and that's all I can afford). Our local butcher has great steaks and that's my usual.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wilson I can only afford to go there once a year as well. Usually around Christmas time.
I've been to a ton of steak places in the city. All the well known ones and they all end up being more expensive than Luger's and for me not quite as good.
I wish I had a local butcher near my house but the best I can do is Trader Joes and their steaks are darn good.
Also there is a high end super market called Decicco's and they have dry aged prime grade beef but it's too expensive. Although the regular beef is real good.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Another vote for at home steaks here! My trusty cast iron and oven can produce a steak better than any average restaraunt. Plenty of turotials on youtube to show you tips on how to do it too. The only time I ever order a steak is at a top quality steakhouse that serves prime.
My next experiment is to start doing some dry aging at home.

Dec 24, 2012
+1 to Peter Lugers
+ 1 to Jacobs in Toronto (don't be scared - they have a $1000 Kobe steak on the menu)
+ 1 The Steak House at Circus Circus in Vegas
Another favourite of mine is Del Friscos in Manhattan
http://delfriscos.com/new-york
I had a steak a couple of nights ago at the Capital Grille in Boston - I wasn't blown away - the above steakhouses are superior, in my view

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The chain high end steak joints have gone down in quality over the years in my opinion. Places like Capitol Grille, Ruth Chris, Mortons used to be better and I don't go to any of them anymore. The worst prime joint I ever experienced was Flemmings, what they called a prime Ny Strip was a freaking joke. The one of a kind places seem to have much better quality, in Tampa, Berns is the place to go, best steak on this coast.

Aug 14, 2012
I get mine, filet mignon (center cut), from fresh direct, an internet supplier in NY. The cost is low, quality high, so it's as good as you cook it. I have been a chef, butchered meat, sliced thousands of steaks, and have run lots of steakhouses.

Aug 1, 2012
The best steaks I ever had were in Atlantic City, WY at the mercantile. Prime, grass fed beef that was raised, killed and butchered all in less than 100 miles from the restaurant. Cooked over an open wood fire in the corner of the dining room. Too bad they changed hands and aren't as good any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.