PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have read, searched and can't find a source of bands. I don't want or need anything fancy, just nickel or tin bands will work for me.

Sources? I have several estate pipes that I want to repair and need some bands.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On one old estate pipe I used a brass olive (plumbing compression ring) to fix a cracked shank. I first (very carefully) removed the required amount of briar for a good fit then forced the olive onto the shank by pressing it onto a granite work surface.
Ok, it doesn't look like a professional job but it worked a treat and saved a pipe from ending up in the bin.
Olives such as these can be found in various diameters at your local plumbing outlet.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Good idea, thanks. I plan to make my own also, one of these days. I have a couple of Unimat lathes and one of them will probably be in my 'den' when we get settled. Then copper and brass will be fair game for sure.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Then copper and brass will be fair game for sure.
Not a good idea, I'm afraid.
There's a reason you don't see copper or brass bands on pipes. It corrodes in quite a nasty way--even staining the wood around it---while sterling and nickel don't.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"-while sterling and nickel don't."
George, with all due respect, I have come across many a Peterson nickel band or acorn that was heavily corroded but the surrounding briar was fine.
Also I have seen many pipes with brass (but never copper for some reason) adornments on shanks and stems and these were factory fitted. I will grant you that silver (better still gold) would be the preferred option but of course that will tarnish too and the inexperienced restorer in trying to make it look good again can inadvertently spoil the surrounding briar.
Regards,
Jay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, I debated breaking down the word "corrodes" at the time I typed that, almost did, then decided I get pedantic about such things too often anyway, so just went with the bottom line short version.
Sterling silver and nickel DO both corrode, of course---that's what the whole "turning black over time" thing is---they just do it in a gentlemanly way. Very shallow, and easily removed.
Brass and copper---especially copper---can get truly nasty. Depends on storage conditions, humidity, etc., but if you've ever seen a pipe with a runaway copper band, you'd never use one. Blooming, turquoise-colored crystal sludgey stuff growing on it like a mushroom. Brass is definitely less reactive, but can still get pretty ugly.
Anyway, there's (effectively) no cost or labor difference between the candidate metals, so using the industry standards makes the most sense imo.
I'm not sure what was up with the nasty nickel you've seen, mawnansmiff. Sounds interesting. Pretty much any alloy that's not true silver was/is referred to as "nickel" by the old pipe making outfits---sometimes as "German Silver"---but no one knows what it actually is. Peterson's is a respectable company and always has been, though, so wouldn't be using a junk alloy to save a penny. Again, interesting. I wish I could see what you saw.
Speaking of bands, there absolutely ARE fake silver bands out there, so beware when stocking up, Nevadablue. I have a box full of them. :lol: Clearly stamped .925 Sterling, and absolutely anything but.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"thing is---they just do it in a gentlemanly way."
How sweetly put :puffy:
"I'm not sure what was up with the nasty nickel you've seen, mawnansmiff."
George, I have seen at least two Peterson 'acorns' that were so corroded that bits were missing leaving sharp edges! I did wonder if they had come into contact with seawater as that stuff just eats most metals.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Interesting discussion. I have already been thinking about the brass issue, seeing brass pins used as repair. I did order some stainless steel wire for pin repairs, having a couple of estate pipes I want to operate on. I do have titanium in my lower back... hmmm. No, too expensive. I will snoop my shop for some stainless tubing. Hmmm...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Stainless can be surprisingly difficult and frustrating to fabricate, so heads-up there. And forget titanium completely. It takes highly specialized tools and techniques to deal with. There is only one guy I know of who messes with it, and he does so only because he knew how before becoming a pipe maker (he was an Indy race car tech).

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Agree. The stainless alloy will determine machinability for an amateur like me. And the titanium was a joke really. My back still needs those parts. I did get the stainless wire for pins and it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.