PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
I tried some of my friends bulk perique buy by the ounce today and I want some. He said he bought from pipes and cigars and it the blending perique not the pre-granulated but the other blending perique option and my questions are as follows here's a link http://pipesandcigars.com/blending-pipe-tobacco1.html
1. Is this real st James perique?

2. If not how can they say it is?

3. I've heard C&D sends it to them is this true?

4. If this stuff is not true perique where can I get real perique?
Thank you

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The Perique on our page is Acadian Perique, which is a mixture of St. James and Perique-processed Burley done in the same plant as the actual St. James. No one, as far as I know, sells straight St. James Perique anymore. It's really expensive for the straight stuff, and some years, when weather is bad or there have been problems with mold or pests, there's almost no real St. James, That's why they've gone to blending the two tobaccos together. I'd love to work with straight St. James for some blends, but we'd have to buy 500 lbs. at a time, and we don't use enough to make that viable.

The Perique we use doesn't come from C&D, but it really doesn't matter because regardless of who sells it, it started off at L.A. Poche in Louisiana.
Russ

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Ok so it's perique flavored burley? It does taste pretty good though. Is it cased heavily because it seems very moist and how does it compare to the real deal in term of quality? Does it contain PG?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think both of PipesMagazine's factory tour videos, Mac Baren and Orlik, have scenes that show barrels of St. James Perique.

I suppose it would fall on Kevin to confirm that it was pure St. James, or Acadian.

PeriqueOrlik_zpscb860ff5.jpg
This, from the Orlik tour.
That said, I enjoy H&H Perique products so much, I would be the last person to complain about Acadian Perique.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no tobacconist, but the Perique blending tobacco I bought from CD gives a good strong

approximation of the Perique flavor as experienced in other blends that advertise including

Perique. Since I am mixing it in small quantities with other tobacco, notably Virginias and

Burley, and knowing the strength of this particular blending Perique, I can adjust to suit

my taste.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The Burley version isn't Perique flavored, it's Burley processed the same way as Perique. It's put into hogsheads, put under pressure and fermented for about a year. The flavors develop in a similar way to St. James Perique, but because the tobacco is grown elsewhere. there are differences. But the vast majority of the Perique blends that are sold commercially use Acadian Perique.
Russ

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Is the pregranulated option made from the same tobacco base or does it have a different formulation? Also are any of the Virginia's on the site used for blending as good as or close to SG FVF? I'm also looking for a great pure full Virginia to blend with the perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.