Where There's Smoke.. There's A Pile Of Tins!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015

This is about 2/3's of the tins I've gotten through over the last year of returning to pipe smoking after nearly a decade! This does not include the tins I've given away, used for tools bits, traded and the mountain of baccy packets from Condor, St Bruno etc..
What do you guys do with your tins?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I open a tin, its contents go into a jar, and the tin goes into the trash. God knows I have enough clutter with pipes, accessories, and my growing collection of leather bound books!
And shaving mugs.

And vintage razors.

And bone china teacups.

And antique pocket watches.

And CaseXX knives.

And Zippos.

Good Lord. :oops:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
For ugly tins, at this time of year when I'm running low on clay targets......PULL!
Tins that I like I keep and will make a display later for them in my smoking "lounge".

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I have a similar collection with the difference is that it has taken me a few years to accumulate that many. I may throw them out one day but the collection serves as a record of what I have smoked, should I forget. I also like the artistic value of the tins and maybe someday I will find a use for them. The only problem is they also serve as evidence of TAD to be used against me by the wife.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've been using tins to organize my STUFF. Nails, tacks, screws, nuts, rough gemstones, capacitors, fuses, loose change, and anything else that fits. My Father used coffee tins for a multitude of things in the garage. My coffee comes in plastic canisters, so I can sometimes use those.
Just a few days ago I used a metal top tin (cleaned and sanitized) to put in an ointment I cooked up for bug bites. They are quite handy and I like the artwork as well. :)

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I use them to store odds & ends, and give some to the kids to store their little stuff (little boys accumulate tons of "treasures"). Then there's the pile in my closet waiting for a use. I guess I'm an empty tin hoarder

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Eventually I am going to make them into a piece of wall art or a coffee table top covered in glass.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I saved the first two years of my tins, they filled two large garbage bags and I was in the process of moving so I chucked em. I regretted it so now I'm saving up all my tins again because it seems they'll be collectors items real soon.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I guess I'm lucky that none of my tins have had SMOKING KILLS in big letters on the front! What an offensive thing to look at, to pay all that money then have a billboard shoved in your face. Does anyone really think that a person smoking or wanting to smoke doesn't know that or needs to be told? Jackasses.
If anything kills, it is government. In the past century, governments have killed millions through war, imposed poverty, and stupid regulations.
The worst thing is that smoking a pipe DOES NOT KILL. Maybe if you smoke like a fiend, you might get a lesion in your mouth, discovered and removed at your next dental visit.

Jun 4, 2014
Most empty tins go into the recycling bin, but a few find uses holding small parts on my workbench or partial boxes of screws, etc. With the coming of new FDA labeling I may save a few with nice tin art.

Status
Not open for further replies.