PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Four years ago we were staying at this hotel in Pensacola Beach Florida. I was an occasional cigar smoker at the time and enjoyed one on our hotel balcony every afternoon (which took about an hour). Across from us, a gentleman came out on his balcony every morning and afternoon to smoke his pipe for 20 minutes or so. After a few days, I remarked to my wife that he seemed quite content. She replied that she wished I smoked a pipe instead of those smelly cigars. I replied back that I was too young to smoke a pipe, but it stuck in my mind.
When we returned to Maryland, I bought an cheap Ebay basket pipe and it snowballed until today.
We're back at this property for a little R&R following the wedding in New Orleans. My wife snapped this photo this morning.
A raised pipe to that "older" pipe smoker I never met!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the background story on your entry into the pastime.

I wonder what influenced others to take up the pipe.

For me, it was advice from an esteemed uncle, a cigar smoker;

and my father, who smoked cigarettes and didn't want me to go that route.

So I stopped at the local drugstore on the way home from high school and

bought a pegboard Medico bulldog and some OTC aromatics.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've smoked exactly one cigar in the past four years. It was a large ring size and felt so odd in my mouth, I haven't tried another!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have a humidor with about 20 cigars in it. Those could possibly last me the rest of my life, lol.
My "inspiration" for picking up the pipe was Lee Van Cleef. Love that dude and he was always smoking a bad ass pipe while being a bad ass in his spaghetti westerns.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Great story! It's nice you were able to return to where it all began.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Way cool Al. Thanks for sharing. So, really what you're saying is that your wife only has herself to blame for any TAD and PAD purchases that come about, right? :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A great story and it's pretty cool that you've gone full circle on the root of your pipe smoking. I became enamoured with the pipe by watching some Amish men that were hanging around a wood stove in a leather shop on a cold December morning many years back. The serenity of the whole ritual was what got me and my brother and I both got bit by the bug that day. Sadly he gave it up for cigs (a relapse for him) and I was left as the lone survivor. He has been hinting that he might try it again though so I have some work to do. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.