PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Hi all. I've just started smoking pipes a few weeks ago and so far mostly everything, thanks to YouTube and forum lurking, is going fine. However, my problem is this:
Every once in a while I get a pretty good draw and my mouth is full of flavor, but I can't seem to keep it consistent. What am I doing wrong? As well, whereabouts in my mouth should the flavor be the strongest?

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Have you tried to retro-hale? Seems to work consistent for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba5rz_eTFPA&list=PL-NfJjlGOSLtirDt_rhIVi6rRts-vFtY1&index=3&feature=plpp_video

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Try smoking as cool as you can, really light puffs. I find if you draw as light as possible you get more flavor.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
good video. I agree with expelling some through the mouth first as depending on how big your draws are, it burns the hell out of my nose if i take a big draw and exhale it all through my nose.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Oh yea...and welcome aboard. TIme to quit lurking and do some posting with some pics!

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Retro-haling and light puffs...hmmmm. Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it a go.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
It has seemed to me that the longer I have been smoking (not very long mind you), and the more blends I try, the more flavor I recognize(?) (for lack of a better word). The oral palette develops a sensitivity to the depth of flavors. Be patient, keep trying new things.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks again for all the helpful replies guys. Light puffs are already a huge improvement. Trying to co-ordinate retro-haling is a bit more challenging, but practice makes perfect.
I'm smoking a $30 Capri pipe that the tobacco guy gave me. I got pretty lucky (for a Canuck) and got a good discount on some Frog Morton on the Town and Old Church tins. Can't wait to branch out.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Welcome to the forum! You will taste more with experience. You really start to gain a palate eventually. Dave has given some good advice. If you need any technical help or need to know how to post a picture feel free to shoot me a PM any time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Skunk. :clap:

You'll find lots of useful articles and videos to help you along.

As was mentioned, the smoker's palate will improve with experience.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Echoing what was said already, proper packing is essential. A year and a half into pipe smoking and I'm still learning how to pack -- lighter packing is always better, less tamping is always better.
Also, I've noticed that my palate is much more sensitive to flavors now than it was a year ago. Again, though, better packing and slower puffing will help bring out different flavors. Even now, although I love Virginias, if I rush a smoke and let it get too hot, good tobacco can just taste like hot, smokey air.
Welcome and hang in there. Froggy on the Town is a good, easy-to-smoke blend. If you're losing the flavor, you're probably packing too tightly. FMOTT also tends to stay damp, so try drying it out a little on a paper towel for half an hour or so before yuo pack the pipe. A wet smoke isn't usually a flavorful, enjoyable smoke.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jeezo-Pete, Skunk. You're getting some some great advice here.
Packing a pipe becomes a personal thing and you'll find your stride sooner or later. In the meantime, go with Dave's suggestion on the "gravity" fill and do your best to learn how to smoke slowly: one puff every 30 seconds.
And, once I've mastered that technique after all these years, I'll let you know how it works out.
Welcome aboard, friend.
Fnord

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Learn to pack your pipe right first. Then you'll discover the draw gets consistent. Then you'll learn what works best for you. If you have a bite, you probable are drawing to hard. Relax and sip it. You'll learn how to draw, that will give the best flavor of the tobacco. :puffpipe:

Jul 12, 2011
Welcome-welcome..Mr. Pease just did a great article on packing,

and how important it is to take your time with that to really get

a primo smoke, also make sure you give the bacci enough air-time,

as well...without the bacci being dry enough you will get too

much moisture / steaming and it goes to a blah smoke and a

bull-whip cracked mouth ;-)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Trying to co-ordinate retro-haling is a bit more challenging, but practice makes perfect.
Personally, I haven't found this technique actually enhances the "flavours" of a smoke. Try it, sure, but it's not something that I think is necessary to do with each puff or even each smoke.
From on Canadian to another, welcome to the forum and the hobby!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
WElcome to the forum Skunk. Where abouts in Canada are u? There are a few of us canucks on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.