PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Only took me 6 years to wonder! When I smoke my petersons, at the end I literally pull the stem and dump a huge amount of brown liquid out the reservoir. So where does the moisture go in a good dry smoking non system pipe? Most of my non system pipes smoke real dry, as in bottom of bowl looks dry after a smoke. Wonder where it goes?

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
It's in the smoke, some is absorbed by the wood and evaporates over a few days.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
To tack onto what Roth said (which I agree with) during a roundtable discussion at the Chicago show a few years ago, a friend suggested that it's air turbulence that creates (or at least exacerbates the creation of) condensation. I didn't know about fluid dynamics to agree or disagree, but then this friend said that a System pipe's air flow actually CREATES turbulence due to it's geometry. Therefore a System pipe CAPTURES the condensation that it CREATES.
Is there an engineer in the house?

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I like these answers. Based on these, I think a good pipe, smoked properly of course, has the geometry dialed in just perfectly so that it does not create excess turbulence (and therefore condensation), and such that any moisture is perfectly metered out with each sip so that the moisture is not detected in the smoke, and after the smoke, there is no visible moisture in the pipe bowl, though some may be absorbed by the cake and wood.
Fortunately, only one of my pipes smokes wet, and I think I know now that it can be fixed. I will be sending it out and let you guys know if the repair worked. I'm certain now that the shank must be shortened to compensate for a mortise drilled too deep, the draw opened up a bit, and a completely new stem. Of course, I'm sure the expert will know better.
Sorry, I'm an engineer and probably think too much!

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Turbulence might have eddies that have the effect of keeping the smoke recirculating in one spot, cooling and the moisture dropping out. :crazy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I didn't know about fluid dynamics to agree or disagree, but then this friend said that a System pipe's air flow actually CREATES turbulence due to it's geometry. Therefore a System pipe CAPTURES the condensation that it CREATES.
Interesting - sounds logical to me.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
A proper working system pipe does exactly that: Remove the moisture from the smoke, that it does not land in your mouth and attribute to tongue bite/burn/whatever. That means, that also hard puffers can somehow enjoy their pipes, without taking every other day off from smoking to heal their tongues. It can also make certain Aromatics more enjoyable. The price to pay for that comes at cleaning, which can be quite disgusting.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Which is where the metal shank pipes come in. The Kirsten, Viking and Falcon are easy to clean and do a good job of removing the moisture form smoke. My only complaint is that the bowls are small and I believe that the briar shank does make for more flavor.
:lol: :D :lol:

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I own a Kirsten, a Falcon and the Peterson System. The Kirsten seems to have the most juice buildup, but you can close all valves and it will stay there, until you are home and clean it. The Falcon should be emptied at once, as pocketing the pipe could contaminate your coat pocket. The Peterson System seems to absorb most of the juice in the wood of the sump and therefore needs the longest drying time. Anyway, I'd rather remove the moisture of a normal pipe with pipe cleaners during/after the smoke, than clean the stinking system well on any of the system pipes.

Aug 14, 2012
Have you ever noticed moisture on the outside of a very well broken in pipe? Some of it travels through the briar.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Very interesting gentlemen. I have often wandered about this subject myself. I look forward to reading more responses.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.